What's in your radiator?

mdhokie

Tires were Dunlop Q3, set for 30 psi front and rear hot, but they were cold, coming in off the pits on my first lap. 26psi dead cold before hitting the track in the morning, so they were probably somewhere between 26 and 30. I'm pretty sure I just asked too much of cold tires, possibly too abrupt on braking. I don't think there's really anything else to blame; I was still going almost perfectly straight, wasn't even starting to tip in yet. It was a rude way to end the day, in only the second session.

Yeah I found a few still frames with me in it; my friend said it looked like I was doing break dancing.
20543953_10106001401250643_5964100713473709968_o.jpg

bmart

Control Rider
As with anything. You will get a lot of advice about tires and tire pressure. Everything that I have seen about the Q3 suggests 28 to 30 cold. I do run a Q3 rear quite a bit & those numbers are in line with my hot pressure of 35.5.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Tires were Dunlop Q3, set for 30 psi front and rear hot, but they were cold, coming in off the pits on my first lap. 26psi dead cold before hitting the track in the morning, so they were probably somewhere between 26 and 30. I'm pretty sure I just asked too much of cold tires, possibly too abrupt on braking. I don't think there's really anything else to blame; I was still going almost perfectly straight, wasn't even starting to tip in yet. I

Two things. You're probably right - most likely the primary cause was being too abrupt on the controls (braking). Even with cold tires - particularly Q3s that don't really need as much time/heat to work as race rubber - you had very little lean angle and really weren't in an area that the tire is working that hard. You were pretty far from the braking zone for the right hander going up the hill. Smooth controls make a difference.

But the other point is that we all need to remember when we've got cold tires. At YCRS we're taught that every single time we go out on the track with cold tires, say "cold tires" out loud to remind yourself that you need to get some heat in them before really working them.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
As with anything. You will get a lot of advice about tires and tire pressure. Everything that I have seen about the Q3 suggests 28 to 30 cold. I do run a Q3 rear quite a bit & those numbers are in line with my hot pressure of 35.5.
I have had a similar experience to you where a few extra psi improved the handing of the q3s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk