When did you decide to start changing your own tires and why?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Thanks to everyone who replied. You guys saved me from getting in over my head. After reading I feel much better about being able to change my own tires:like: but for now I don't think that it would be the best thing for me to spend my money on. I just don't go to the track enough. :(

Blackrr22

Its not whats around the corner, It is the corner!
After having more than one shop scrape all the powder coat off the edges and charging too much to do it. I haven't scraped any powder coat off my wheels!

Okay I give up. I’m so overwhelmed with the choices out there for tire changing/balancing equipment that I don’t have a clue about what kind to choose.
Last year this time I started looking for a static wheel balancer and spoons but I didn’t need to change my tires right then so I put it on the back burner. Now I’m in need of two new tires.

The setup that will probably work best for me is what Micah posted. A static wheel balancer on a homemade stand and square block to put the tire in while braking the beads. I have looked at the options everyone posted but I now have more questions. I am basically looking for a good quality static balancer and good quality spoons that can break the beads as well. Also do I need those plastic rim protectors that I have seen advertised? I don’t mind scratching my rims, I just don’t want to damage them to the point where it will cause problems to the rims or tires. Please give me some advice because I need to pick up this stuff quickly.

bmart

Control Rider
Well Mike, I don't have any nice wheels, so I took the cheap way out. I took the paint off the the edges all of the way around so that they are silver. No more scratches. lol I have used the plastic protectors, but found them to mostly be a PITA. I'm sure that some work better than others. When I do the VFR wheels I have my buddy with a NoMar do them.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
you could also use a slice of garden hose wrapped around the lip of the wheel instead of the plastic rim protectors.

bmart

Control Rider
I use auto hoses I've removed during regular maintenance. I should have thought to mention that.

Tire changing for me started years ago at a local dealership. I trailered my bike up for a brake flush and tire change. Wheeled the bike in and put it on the lift myself and had the brakes flushed and bled. I then took the bike outside and put it on stands and removed my wheels and walked them in to the tire machine along with my new tires. The tires got swapped and balanced no problem, remounted the wheels and put the bike away in the trailer.

All good to this point, so I walk in to the service desk to pay the bill...... $125!!!! Are you fucking kidding me!!! (actually got mad and said that) paid the bill and stormed out, last time I did that. Told my buddy who was thinking about buying a machine, and because of his need and now mine, he bought one.

I learned how to use the machine, and the static balancer, and have done mine and friends wheels since. I'm buying my own machine shortly. We charge track friends $10 a wheel to mount and balance, then $20 wheels off the bike and $30 if I have to pull the wheels for guys that don't go to the track with us and local kids that know us.

The HF and nomar stuff is great for personal use, but if you do a decent amount of tires a machine can be paid for by changing tires in 2-3 seasons.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Do my own wheels the old fashioned way. Built my own bead breaker, change the tires by hand with motion pro rim protectors and static balance. Takes longer to remove the wheels and remount them then it does to swap out the tires. Buy several different spoons including one of those 12 inch ones with a big curve on one end and you're good to go. Also, Ru-Glyde is your friend. It doesn't take much, just enough to lubricate the rubber as you pop it over the rim. I also "balanced" my rims without the tire. I found the heavy spot to be other than where the valve is. I line up the light spot of the tire with this point on the rim and many times no or minimal weights are required to achieve balance.

Do my own wheels the old fashioned way. Built my own bead breaker, change the tires by hand with motion pro rim protectors and static balance. Takes longer to remove the wheels and remount them then it does to swap out the tires. Buy several different spoons including one of those 12 inch ones with a big curve on one end and you're good to go. Also, Ru-Glyde is your friend. It doesn't take much, just enough to lubricate the rubber as you pop it over the rim. I also "balanced" my rims without the tire. I found the heavy spot to be other than where the valve is. I line up the light spot of the tire with this point on the rim and many times no or minimal weights are required to achieve balance.
How do you find the light spot on the tire with out it being on the rim?

Motofun352

Control Rider
The theory is the valve is the heavy spot of the rim but in doing this for 30 or so rims I've never found that to be true. Usually close, or at least on the same side of the rim.

sti2.5ldohc

It all depends on how involved you are in the sport. There is definitely a point you hit where you realize "I am spending way too much on tire changes", so what I did was spend even more than that ( lol ) and got my own setup. I've had this for a few years now and love it.

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-...m894xs-motorcycle-atv-car-truck-tire-changer/

Lots of factors went into the decision to pull the trigger on something like this, but the big things:

- I already had the air compressor to run it
- I have the garage space
- I will use it enough to justify it
- Arriving to the track with your bike ready to rock (no tire changes needed) is just one less thing I have to do once I get there.

I didn't jump straight to this, I first bought a harbor freight setup. It was mediocre at best and I gouged my rims a bit as I learned just how much that setup sucked. I considered the No Mar, but quite frankly the (comparatively) little price jump between those and a full setup like mine made it a no brainer, not to mention I already had a good air compressor. After the struggles with the HF changer, I was done with doing it by hand.

I also have a lot of wheels. I have 3 sets for my R6, dedicated rains, practice set, race set. I also have a spare set of wheels for my ZX10. If you don't have multiple rims I am not sure that getting your own changer would be nearly as beneficial. However, as a CR I am always in need of tires, so it's been a blessing to have the ability to change tires so I can fully maximize tire life. For example, if I have a bunch of tires at 50% life or so and the forecast is a 0% chance of rain, I'll take off the rain tire and have 3 rear wheels mounted with the take off tires. So even if I only get half a day or so out of a tire before it's gone, I'll just swap wheels at the track. It's the little things like this that have made having a tire changer awesome for me and allows me to wear down my tires evenly (left/right balance), thus maximizing the use out of them.

As you can see, the underlying message is that you have to be way more involved in the sport than the average Joe for having a tire changer to really start to make sense. I plan on doing this for the long haul, and part of being in the game for the long haul is minimizing your routine expenses. Yeah it sucked buying that machine upfront, but that machine will literally provide a life time of tire changes for me. That's what made it an easy choice.

That is awesome. Do you think that could handle F450 tires?

I currently use a hf changer for trailer tires but I bent it up trying to change a 1/2 ton truck tire.