When to start? Where to go, How to prep.

Henry

Hello, Ive bee lurking around the Nesba site for a while now. Ive been riding, mainly bmw airheads, for about 12 years now, and I'm new to the sportbike world, Ive only been riding them for about 2 years now. I own a small fabrication shop in Pa. and have built or modified several race bikes for some nice folks and came into a wrecked Ducati 916, and couldn't turn it down. Got it together and started running around the back roads. Recently I came into a 03' r6 and thought it be a great first trackday bike. Its a little worn out, but runs fine. But the question is, am I ready. I still tense up my upper body at times, im moving around in the saddle a bit but I'm not dragging knees. Up here the roads are narrow and half covered in sinter from past winters and that combo make me pretty cautious. Is a Nesba trackday a good start for me. Or is it just a bit too advanced for me even at the lowest levels. I want to go fast, but not at the cost of others fun and safety. let me know what you think. Also, just for conversation, whats your racing fitness routine. Me and a buddy, (a serious cyclist) are thinking about building a couple ti fat tire bike frames for snow riding. I like cycling, but was in a bad wreck about 4 months ago, down in baltimore, tearing my rotator cuff, breaking my hand, leg, and ribs, and find myself, well, a little weak . What do you got. Ive never been a work out guy, but want to rebound a bit more. Harder, better, faster, stronger. Thanks all, and Im sure Ill see you out there eventually, just a matter of when.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
None of this matters. If you're here, you're ready. Get your gear and get your 916 to the track.

Before you invest any more money into a dedicated track toy..give the track a try to see if you like it first. You will..but try it first. I've never met anyone who didn't love it first time out.

As far as your riding...The track is the optimal place to work on technique. You'll have a closed course environment to put what you're trying to learn into your riding, and you can ask for help from NESBA's experience staff of Control Riders. They'll teach you the facts of proper sport bike riding and weed out the fiction. You'll be absolutely fine in the Beginner group. It's pretty much where everyone starts. By the end of your first day you'll have gone faster than you've ever gone before and had more fun than you could have ever imagined.

yokel84

Hi Henry,

I'm sure some of the actual experienced guys will chime in with much better advice soon, but I thought I'd give you a fellow newb's perspective. Beginner's group, seems great regardless of how fast you are. The control riders do a great job of managing traffic, and they'll help you get comfortable on the track. That was my experience. Gong to the track was one of the best experiences I've had in years.

I'm pretty into fitness, and for the aggressive sportbike riding position deadlifts helped me (start light). Shoulder pt before anything else though; just ask Ben Spies.

Steverino

Great place to start!

With regard to fitness I am old fat and slow and still have a great time on the track!

Steve
Team Grumpy Racin'

Domiken

Welcome to the board, I suggest you join NESBA and take the course and learn what it is to get out at the track, you can progress at your pace and you will learn a ton. I thought I knew how to ride a motorcycle until I hit the track, all those years of riding on the street meant nothing. You will love it on top of that, it is a lot of fun. Hope to see you out there next year. Cheers.

Unbroken13

I think regardless of fitness level most people get worn out there first few track days. Mostly from being so tense... Arm pump from holding yourself up during breaking... And the same for your hands... And the inside of your thighs from hanging off the side... All of those get better with better body position and riding more relaxed..
With that said..... Do cardio!!!!! Cycling of some sort... Up downs.. Running ... Just a lot of cardio!!!!! Lol

Injuries suck and I know me and many others have our share... I have 2 bad disc in my neck and they cause a lot of problems with my hands... Pain and knumb fingers... I've learned to adjust my position when I'm tucked to help ease the pressure... I also tend to pinch the tank a little bit longer while first breaking to support my self just a bit longer before getting off the side (which is a bad habit ) but that's how I try to adjust... Also just pit in....
Come try it u will love it and you will regret not doing it sooner... I'm gonna be 38 and i really wish I had done it sooner!!!!!!

Henry

thanks for all the info, cant wait to get out there, looks like Ill have to wait till march, but look forward to it. I think im going to head down to Florida for a e few winter trackdays/weekends. PT is in full swing, the legs a pain just because its weakest, but the shoulder is really taking a while to get back where it was. I was out blasting around the roads today (yes, its a bit chilly) and came into some heavy trail breaking situations and the shoulder was none too happy about it. But you know what they say, pains just weakness leaving your body. HA. I was also wondering if you guys have any tips on things to mod on the bike just to make life a little easier out there. I.E. ive been blocking off the speedo, i find it more distracting than anything. Ive preped bikes for wera and will probably head that direction for no other reason than I like to tinker on my stuff after spending all day working on other peoples stuff. Dont know if theres a list or not. Also, dose my breather vent line have to have a colection tank to pass tech?

akosi

Welcome to the Addiction! I see all different people out at the track with different builds so I don't believe it is an issue especially at a track day level. The most important thing to a good track day is hydrate a few days before and get a good nights sleep the night before. Other than that get ready for a new hobby.

mike574

Have you read the riders manual http://www.nesba.com/manuals-and-forms all the info you need on setting up you bike is in there. It never hurts to safty wire a bike up and wera rules are strick so if your bike is set to wera regs you will pass NESBA tech just fine.

The track is not a scary as you think, Every event there is some one new to the track so don't worry about being to slow or holding people up, just go out and have fun and work with the control riders. The control riders are there to help you.

Most important thing about a track day is to have fun. 12 years street knowledge you will be fine.

Meat

On the breather vent line: no you do not need a catch can for that

In beginner group there is minimal to do to pass tech. It is a good idea to have your bike surpass the safety requirements of all Nesba groups, it just isn't required.

For me, just a quick check of all fasteners in sight, to be sure they are snug, is an important check (if they aren't safety wired).

Relax on your first track day and have fun. It took me MANY track days before I could relax but I honestly started having fun after I wasn't so nervous and uptight.