When you think you're Fast

Kurt_Orban

4fb245fe98760e1878c679c1ecd72703.jpg

Me

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for those of you in the Advanced group, especially after I found myself, a Novice, mistakenly in the Advanced session at Summit Main yesterday.

I can't apologize enough for being in the way and causing great concern for the Marshalls and N2 staff while I was out there. No fault but my own. Thanks to Shiloh and everyone else at N2 for understanding and being genuinely concerned for my well being. The most accurate description of it was like standing still in the middle of a stampede.

Anyway, my apologies and respect to you all. It was unbelievable and an absolutely humbling experience to say the least. I'm getting passed in 4 by a deluge of riders, and when I clear 5 ......they're out of 7 and up the hill. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

YOLOrider87

Lol pic looks hilarious, i bet that was an experience. Glad your alright and nothing bad happened. I had my share of ups and down yesterday... the inside passing became annoying at some points because if i was careless i couldve slammed into the rider instead i stood the bike up/slowed down to avoid collision. I had more important things to worry about tho... like better consistant lines. When i found myself behind a slower pack i used the pace to focus more on my body position.

Hey kurt were you on the yellow BMW?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Talk about finding yourself in the deep end. Glad your OK and cool about it...something to look forward to.:p

Kurt_Orban

I was on the White BMW #72. I apologize if I stepped in on you at any point. I was doing my best not to be a dick and make clean passes.

Kurt_Orban

Talk about finding yourself in the deep end. Glad your OK and cool about it...something to look forward to.:p
Yup, just gotta trust the process, but I think I'm a long way off and it was very apparent. Made me feet like I had a Grom on the track.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
And it’s early in the season. The pace picks up as the year goes on. We are all just shaking the rust off after winter.

(I wasn’t there). I’m the slowest guy out there so I know exactly what you mean.

YOLOrider87

N
I was on the White BMW #72. I apologize if I stepped in on you at any point. I was doing my best not to be a dick and make clean passes.

Not at all bro... i think they addressed that person because they did it to more than one person. I understand shit happens and quite honestly it wasnt so much the inside passing, but inside pass and jamming breaks where i nearly “ass pack you” was what upset me. There were some guys moving pretty good behind control riders... i attempted to stick with big jim giving some dude his eval to I group and lets just say... im not ready lol Shout out to all the control riders.... managing such a large group. You guys ran a hell of a track day, one of my fav TD orgs to attend. See ya’ll in Pittsburgh in a few weeks.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Kurt, don't sweat it. Kennys brother-in-law had a similar experience last year at PittRace. Was out in N, they were red flagged, as he came off track he saw riders lined up at the grid and headed that way thinking they were N group going back out. As he got there they were releasing bikes, and he just followed them out. He said that when he was being passed by freight trains before T2 he knew something was terribly wrong, and immediately threw his arm up and stayed on the edge of the track all the way back around to Pit in. Your excursion was accidental and you handled it right. No problem.

Darrin is right. The early A sessions at Main were kind of relatively slow. The pace picked up through the day - and it'll only get faster. Those of you in N and I could really gain some insight by picking a strategic spot at a track and watching the A group. You'll start to better understand why we REALLY focus on lines and body position.

On Sun and Mon there were some folks that were stretching - if not outright breaking - the rules in N and I. N in particular. Frankly, more than one of them would have been bumped to I had they been playing well with others. We talked to everyone we could and really tried to keep things under control

That being said, I also want to emphasize that you guys should be riding your own laps. Don't let others distract you, and get used to things going on around you. When we're running A sessions, it is REALLY REALLY common to have three bikes all within a foot of each other through the entire lap. Passes get tight, and they get aggressive. You shouldn't be dealing with that in N, but it's also helpful to be aware that as you progress, you're going to need to get more comfortable with things happening in close proximity to you. You need to be looking AHEAD - giving you time to anticipate things happening and reducing the unexpected. And please don't be turning around and looking behind you. Had to talk to a few people on Sunday who kept turning around for some crazy reason. Believe me, they had enough in front of them to worry about. What was behind them was - well, behind them. Not their problem. I saw one guy turn around at Shenny 17 times in a single lap.

Kurt_Orban

Kurt, don't sweat it. Kennys brother-in-law had a similar experience last year at PittRace. Was out in N, they were red flagged, as he came off track he saw riders lined up at the grid and headed that way thinking they were N group going back out. As he got there they were releasing bikes, and he just followed them out. He said that when he was being passed by freight trains before T2 he knew something was terribly wrong, and immediately threw his arm up and stayed on the edge of the track all the way back around to Pit in. Your excursion was accidental and you handled it right. No problem.

Darrin is right. The early A sessions at Main were kind of relatively slow. The pace picked up through the day - and it'll only get faster. Those of you in N and I could really gain some insight by picking a strategic spot at a track and watching the A group. You'll start to better understand why we REALLY focus on lines and body position.

On Sun and Mon there were some folks that were stretching - if not outright breaking - the rules in N and I. N in particular. Frankly, more than one of them would have been bumped to I had they been playing well with others. We talked to everyone we could and really tried to keep things under control

That being said, I also want to emphasize that you guys should be riding your own laps. Don't let others distract you, and get used to things going on around you. When we're running A sessions, it is REALLY REALLY common to have three bikes all within a foot of each other through the entire lap. Passes get tight, and they get aggressive. You shouldn't be dealing with that in N, but it's also helpful to be aware that as you progress, you're going to need to get more comfortable with things happening in close proximity to you. You need to be looking AHEAD - giving you time to anticipate things happening and reducing the unexpected. And please don't be turning around and looking behind you. Had to talk to a few people on Sunday who kept turning around for some crazy reason. Believe me, they had enough in front of them to worry about. What was behind them was - well, behind them. Not their problem. I saw one guy turn around at Shenny 17 times in a single lap.
Yeah, I was definitely being run over and passed really tight, but it didn't really spook me that much, I just tightened up my lines my best and and made sure to be as predictable as possible knowing full well I prolly had 2 or 3 riders setting up to pass me.

I guess I'm not as smart as kennys brother in law. It took me 4 laps to figure it out and when I saw the neon yellow bike go by a second time, and no orange shirts, I realized that the red flag was supposed to be the end of my session.

All in all it was a good experience. I definitely don't advise it to anyone, but it gave me a glimpse of what these bikes are capable of if ridden with good lines and body position. All in all, I gained more trust of the bike, and left the session humbled and with some great lines to use in Novice.

Definitely has me thinking about YCRS and when I can make time for one of the events. I know the CRs are getting pulled in every direction by riders wanting evals and help, and although they do a fantastic job of getting to everyone, one on one training can't be beat. Thanks again Bill and everyone for being out there and doing your best to keep us all in the learning curve. Best org out there.

Kurt_Orban

That's how I felt as soon as I got in the carousel. Honestly, after my first slap in the face of reality hit me, I was laughing in my helmet because it was just so ridiculous how fast these "rusty" fast guys were blowing by me.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Don't worry Kurt. It's all relative. Riding in the A group we feel really good. And then Matt Scholz shows up and makes us wonder about our manhood. To add insult on top of injury, he's basically riding the exact same bike, so there is zero excuse other than he's really fast and I suck. In almost every circumstance - there will always be somebody faster.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
BTW, Kurt - that also means that there's always somebody we can learn from. Never stop trying to get better no matter what group you get bumped into.

Kurt_Orban

Absolutely Bill, I was learning a lot from some of the guys in Novice that were really fast and smart with their lines. I just gotta get out there without a pinch nerve in my neck and arm and work on my BP. But good or bad riders, all can be learned from.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Don't worry Kurt. It's all relative. Riding in the A group we feel really good. And then Matt Scholz shows up and makes us wonder about our manhood. To add insult on top of injury, he's basically riding the exact same bike, so there is zero excuse other than he's really fast and I suck. In almost every circumstance - there will always be somebody faster.

Know what you mean...

Road Atlanta this guy comes FLYING by us in Novice group in a Scott Russell replica helmet..I think it was 2006. He was riding a limited edition R1 they made that year.
Yeah...it was $cott Russell.

December 2009.....GEICO Suzuki GSXR600's at Road Atlanta for our Track Day weekend. Eslick's riding the GEICO M4 Suzuki the next year. I tell him to come out and play with us. He says he's just there for pictures.....afternoon session...WHOOOSH! Eslick comes by me like I didn't even start my bike on the back straight.

Or WAY back in like 200o at Pocono...FUSA. Valvoline Suzuki is there with their school...I'm a student. They have a bone stock GSXR600 their riders can use for a school/practice bike.
We're about to go out and one of the racers...a skinny little kid, is on that bike. I hear John Ulrich tell the rider, "Just don't go out there and scare the shit out of anyone." Rider's name.....John Hopkins. I think his team mate was another kid name of Ben Spies.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Know what you mean...

Road Atlanta this guy comes FLYING by us in Novice group in a Scott Russell replica helmet..I think it was 2006. He was riding a limited edition R1 they made that year.
Yeah...it was $cott Russell.

December 2009.....GEICO Suzuki GSXR600's at Road Atlanta for our Track Day weekend. Eslick's riding the GEICO M4 Suzuki the next year. I tell him to come out and play with us. He says he's just there for pictures.....afternoon session...WHOOOSH! Eslick comes by me like I didn't even start my bike on the back straight.

Or WAY back in like 200o at Pocono...FUSA. Valvoline Suzuki is there with their school...I'm a student. They have a bone stock GSXR600 their riders can use for a school/practice bike.
We're about to go out and one of the racers...a skinny little kid, is on that bike. I hear John Ulrich tell the rider, "Just don't go out there and scare the shit out of anyone." Rider's name.....John Hopkins. I think his team mate was another kid name of Ben Spies.
I was there that day...my first day at the track. Johnny Hopkins was my "instructor"...not like there was anything I could learn from him as he was so far in front of me...:rofl:

chrisplm

Chris
Great Stories Darren! The harshness of those guys making us feel that slow, is overshadowed by how awesome it is to see how quick "you" could really be! Especially when they do it on a stock bike!

Kurt_Orban

Great Stories Darren! The harshness of those guys making us feel that slow, is overshadowed by how awesome it is to see how quick "you" could really be! Especially when they do it on a stock bike!
It really makes you feel slow if you've got full Ohlins, full exhaust, auto blip, pc5, and forged wheels. Thank god for my ego that I have none of those. It's bad enough getting passed like that on my liter bike! But it is awesome to see stock bikes at those speeds. Saves me a lot of money!

bmart

Control Rider
You've hit the nail on the head, Kurt. Many new riders come to the track with equipment that far exceeds their skill level. I recently spoke to one who was going to add about $7k to his bike to get it "track ready." Electronics, top notch suspension, bars, rear sets, etc. That money would be far better spent (unless you happen to have sacks of $20s hanging around, of course!) on training, seat time, and tires.

I get that folks like the tech and to have nice equipment, but when I see a track day newbie on a Panigale with $200 Cycle Gear leathers on...I get worried. Besides, it is much more satisfying to go fast on a slow bike! There is a thrill that comes with passing a litre bike while on a smaller displacement bike, in any class.