Where should my shocks go for service?

kcor

Kris
Hi all,

I'm a B group guy with only 3 days under my belt at NYST. By the third day, I was able to keep pace with the "fast" folks in my group. Yes, I fully understand maintaining safety, line and a perpetual focus on improving body position, timing, etc. are what I need to focus on and worry about. That said, I don't want to handicap myself with a poorly maintained setup.

My ride came with the following:

GP front suspension kit for 185lbs rider
Stock rear shock from a 1000RR (I'm on a 600RR)
Extra: Penske Double clicker rear shock sprung for 185lbs

It so happened I am 190, so I went with the setup. I have no complaints, but 25 planned days this year.

Can the community suggest where I should send for recharge/service? The bike was used, but well serviced. With winter in the unheated garage, there is little chance I don't need some work.

I am doing the first two days this year at Barber, but don't want to show up completely unprepared.:dunno:

Thanks,
Kris

motoracer58

i used Mike at Metric Devil Moto this winter and was happy. Havent gotten to ride the bike yet but my overall experience was great.

mjkuhno

Well, it depends on where you're located.

If you're in the NE region then both Mark and Mike are good choices - you'll find a lot of people having good experience with both.

If you're in the Mid/South region there's Chuck of Performance Cycle Works who's the crew chief for Dane Westby and is also a good guy.

My first suggestion is to go with someone you have a high possibility of seeing throughout the rest of the year. That way you can get/provide feedback and they can help you adjust if needed. But since you're targeting 25 days this year(!) it's likely you're traveling and could/should run into whoever sets up your suspension at multiple venues throughout the season.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I'll say this..if you want track side support to continue at NESBA events..and you want NESBA events to continue....support the club & the club's support.

I think Mark is running a refresh special right now in the Mid Atlantic region for suspension. Chuck may be doing a similar package deal to refresh forks and shock right now as well.

And I can vouch that both vendors are damned honest guys. I've gone to both looking for service or support..and after consulting with them on both issues...it was determined I didn't NEED it. Now they COULD have sold me what I sought in order to make a few dollars that day..but they didn't. They could have charged me for their time..but they didn't. That speaks to their integrity, too.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Yep. I spend my money with the guys that support us. Only way to ensure they keep supporting us.

Goldie

Who is Mark? Chuck I know but I'm not familiar with Mark. Is he a Nesba vendor/supporter? Just curious.

D-Zum

Mark = Mark Rozema = Markbilt race bikes

Made his initial claim to fame as Chaz Davies crew chief when he raced for Celtic Racing in the US..which was before he raced for Kawasaki and won the Daytona 200.

His shop's a hop from NJMP. He still does quite a bit of support for AMA races. Might even crew chief for a racer or two..not sure anymore.

He does track side for NESBA at many Mid-Atlantic venues/events. I think this will be his 3rd season.

RADAR Magnet

D-Zum;300154 wrote: I'll say this..if you want track side support to continue at NESBA events..and you want NESBA events to continue....support the club & the club's support.

I can vouch that both vendors are damned honest guys. I've gone to both looking for service or support..and after consulting with them on both issues...it was determined I didn't NEED it. Now they COULD have sold me what I sought in order to make a few dollars that day..but they didn't. They could have charged me for their time..but they didn't. That speaks to their integrity, too.
I agree with both of these points. Support a couple of quality guys that are supporting us and get your gear treated right.

Goldie

I see. Well in that case Mark have received some of my greenbacks to include some from my friends. I have never done a TD with NESBA at Jersey so I'm assuming that's where he vendor...maybe summit? I've seen him plenty of times during a CCS race weekend. Yea he's a good dude. Chuck has received funds from me as well. After a crash, Chuck got me back on the track quickly when somehow grass got into the beads of both of my tires. He was able to sort out other broken tid bits as well. Chuck is also good peeps! I've been using MDM for years now and rather pleased with Mike's service. I'm sure Mark and Chuck are just as good with their prices and services. I used MDM this off season because I purchased another bike that had MDM all over the suspension. The wholesaler dude had no information about the suspension or what it was sprung for so I called up Mike to inquire and he gave me the full low down. Lucky for me it was setup for my weight. Long story short, Mike takes care of me so I shipped the suspension to him this winter for a refresh and for the new numbers he had for my bike. I cannot abandon someone who has always taken care of me from day 1. It's not that I don't want to support our trackside vendors because I agree that we have to support our local TD vendors but being loyal sometimes goes a long way and Mike takes care of me because of this. It's a personal preference that's all.

ceptorman

mjkuhno;300135 wrote: Well, it depends on where you're located.

If you're in the NE region then both Mark and Mike are good choices - you'll find a lot of people having good experience with both.

If you're in the Mid/South region there's Chuck of Performance Cycle Works who's the crew chief for Dane Westby and is also a good guy.

My first suggestion is to go with someone you have a high possibility of seeing throughout the rest of the year. That way you can get/provide feedback and they can help you adjust if needed. But since you're targeting 25 days this year(!) it's likely you're traveling and could/should run into whoever sets up your suspension at multiple venues throughout the season.
^^THIS^^

Having someone local to you or the track you're at will help big time. There are many places that can service your suspension, but having someone there while you're there for adjustments and info can help a lot. And take notes and pay attention to what they're doing, gaining knowledge about how suspension works is extremely helpful. Another guy to consider if you're going to Barber is Thermosman(Mike)

D-Zum

Goldie;300183 wrote: I see. Well in that case Mark have received some of my greenbacks to include some from my friends. I have never done a TD with NESBA at Jersey so I'm assuming that's where he vendor...maybe summit? I've seen him plenty of times during a CCS race weekend. Yea he's a good dude. Chuck has received funds from me as well. After a crash, Chuck got me back on the track quickly when somehow grass got into the beads of both of my tires. He was able to sort out other broken tid bits as well. Chuck is also good peeps! I've been using MDM for years now and rather pleased with Mike's service. I'm sure Mark and Chuck are just as good with their prices and services. I used MDM this off season because I purchased another bike that had MDM all over the suspension. The wholesaler dude had no information about the suspension or what it was sprung for so I called up Mike to inquire and he gave me the full low down. Lucky for me it was setup for my weight. Long story short, Mike takes care of me so I shipped the suspension to him this winter for a refresh and for the new numbers he had for my bike. I cannot abandon someone who has always taken care of me from day 1. It's not that I don't want to support our trackside vendors because I agree that we have to support our local TD vendors but being loyal sometimes goes a long way and Mike takes care of me because of this. It's a personal preference that's all.
Cannot disagree with this at all. It's good to know that MDM is also a quality place, run by people with integrity as well, just like Chuck and Mark.

It's also valid to consider that Mark and Chuck have invested in the necessary tools, mobility and other materials in order to come to an event and provide us support..they expend their time, energy and funds to be there with that mobile shop, away from home and family, to come out and help us have fun.

Keeping them there comes down to the work we refer to them through forums like this and other avenues of communication between potential, new and existing members at and away from the track.