Where to mount chocks - 6x12 single axle trailer

thesnowgod

Hoping someone here can help. I know too far back is just as bad (or worse) than too far forward.
Bought a 6x12 V nose style single axle trailer and plan to mount two wheel chocks in it. (Pitbull or similiar aren't feasible right now). How far from the front of the trailer should I mount the chocks? I've read anywhere from a foot to over two feet from the front wall.

Anyone able to help? Thanks!

tdelegram

Control Rider
I really doesn’t matter so long as 60 to 70% of the weight in your trailer is on or forward of the axle.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Put your bikes rear tire over the rear axle and mark the spot where the front tire is.

you don’t just want the chock anchored to the floor plywood. Trailer frame will provide enhanced strength.

find the closest frame crossbeam underneath that front tire spot. Mark that spot and drill through the floor and the frame rail. Mount the wheel chock with hardware long enough to allow for a wide washer to help spread the stresses of bouncing on the road.

That’s my 2 cents.

2blueyam

I have my TRS mounts all the way back to where the back wheels almost touch the ramp door. I have one about 2” in front of the other which allows me to walk between the bikes without taking a bar end in my sensitive parts. That puts the engines about over the axle on my trailer. Your trailer may have the axle further forward or you may have a lighter trailer. That would require you to mount the bikes further forward. With the v-nose, extra height, RCM and a cabinet up front before loading tools, generator, canopy, fuel and spares, I have more than enough tongue weight.

I hitched up a small travel trailer that was about the same weight as my loaded 6x12. The rear suspension on my SUV sagged noticeably less on the travel trailer. Both towed just fine.

Bonus is I can put another bike in the nose if I play Tetris with the gear loading. Only did that once and would prefer not to do it again, but I can if I must.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
I have mine in my 6x12 v-nose so my bike's weight is basically balanced over the rear axle. The rear wheels are slightly behind the axle and the front is about the middle of the trailer. In the front of my trailer I have several spare wheels and my generator, so that's adding more weight toward the front, in addition to all the misc things I have toward the front that add up. I haven't had a problem with swaying at all, towing with a Nissan Titan.