Will I slow things down?

katanafreak

Hi guys!

Im really interested in doing some track days. I have a military account that I have had for a couple years and I have never used it. Thinking about using it now that I am in Ohio. Only thing is I have never rode any tracks around here or with any groups up here. Will I be too slow or will people get a little frustrated with me if I mess up on the track or cant hold a line? I would really like to maybe do Beave Run on June 16th, just kinda hesitant that I will make more problems on the track for others and prohibit others from learning. Would I be the only one that has never been on the track before? Please let me know if I should seriously consider it. I know people with NESBA will say yes cause I am a paying customer, but I really dont want to hinder others. Thank you for your time guys!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Nobody was on the track till there first time. If you have an interest than do it. You'll learn a lot about your abilities as a rider and the bike in a more controlled environment.

RADAR Magnet

No worries on the pace; just hold your line and ride your ride; faster guys will pick their spots and go by as they're able; no problem and you might even find you're not as slow as you think.

stkr

You'll be just fine as long as you follow a few very simple guidelines:
- go out with NO ego, and give yourself time to learn the track layout.
- you sound pretty humble, and that will help you.
- follow the CR/coaches until YOU are comfortable. We're there to help you have the best day possible and help you learn.

The number one rule: HAVE FUN!!!

Don't worry about what's behind you. It's their job to pass safely, not for you to let them pass. It will all work out.

Welcome to the insanity. :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
+50 to what the others said. Just do it. Starting with an attitude of humility will go a long way. Every rider's meeting begins with "who has never been on the track before?" and I cannot honestly recall when there has been less than 2 hands up. Every one of us started where you are now. Heck, I still worry about being too slow for 'A' every single time. But I've learned that it doesn't matter how fast you are. There is no cash or championship points in trackdays. The MOST important thing is to have fun. Before you know it, you'll be massively in debt and want nothing but more track.

dbakerpa

Go for it. My first day was on a big heavy street equiped Katana 600. I was SLOOOWWW. Now Im only SLOW. Come have fun.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Not at all! Come out and have fun! You will learn so much and become a much better rider. We all had our first day on the track once. Just follow the Control Riders, they'll show you the line and give great advice. If you don't understand something, or want someone to work with you, just ask! Check out the Riders' Manual, it provides a lot of valuable information: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

Dude, no one cares if you are slow. Please come out and see why we have more fun than most who ride on 2 wheels will ever know.

BZ

katanafreak

Thanks for all the positive replies! I am definately thinking of giving it a try. Still on the fence though... I dont have leathers or anything like that, is that a big added cost onto the cost of the trackday already?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It depends what you consider a big cost. With safety gear, generally you get what you pay for. To me, it is well worth the few extra hundred for good gear if it reduces the potential of injury and keeps me out of the hospital. That being said, I'm sure there's someone who would be willing to loan a set. Rental leathers used to be available. Maybe still, but can't say.

denbsteph

:agree: with what everyone has said. Ride your ride, come out with a humble attitude, listen to the CR's and most of all COME OUT AND HAVE FUN!!

crash675

A friend of mine had the same concern. Me and another friend signed up the the same day so we could all ride together. Neddless to say he is addicted now. He had only about 6 months seat time on a bike and did fine. I would say its a good idea to set up in the right lane of B group to get a few sighting laps in and get a feel for the track. The CRs are great about helping with anything you may have questions about. If you cant get with a CR right off there will be plenty of people there that will offer info and a hand as well.

katanafreak

Thanks again everyone for the positive reinforcement. I pretty much think I am sold on trying out a trackday. I am just looking into all the safety gear I might have to buy... I have none of it. Is there a place where I might be able to get a used suit,boots,gloves relatively cheap? Thats all the gear I would need right? Also im kinda a fat guy lol im 5'10'' 235. they make suits that big lol?

orion50002001

katanafreak;242912 wrote: Thanks again everyone for the positive reinforcement. I pretty much think I am sold on trying out a trackday. I am just looking into all the safety gear I might have to buy... I have none of it. Is there a place where I might be able to get a used suit,boots,gloves relatively cheap? Thats all the gear I would need right? Also im kinda a fat guy lol im 5'10'' 235. they make suits that big lol?
Hey, you might check Wera.com they have a classifieds section. TeamProMotion and DCSportBikes also.

pefrey

In my opinion when you start to wory about other riders you start looking out for them and when you start looking out for them you start adjusting your ride to accomodate them. When that happens it's no good for anybody.

Just read the manual, ride your ride and let the CR's worry about the rest.

katanafreak;242912 wrote: Is there a place where I might be able to get a used suit,boots,gloves relatively cheap? Thats all the gear I would need right?
a lot of people wear helmets too.:D

what size foot? I may have some free boots.

free boots

katanafreak;243631 wrote: I wear a 10.5 shoe... do the boots run the same sizes?

I'm 10.5 shoe too. boots are Sidi, size 45, black/yellow. no odor.
honestly, I don't even know the model. they're 8+ years old.
PM me your cell and I'll send pics.

I have crashed them and they protected my feet and ankles.
you pay shipping/packing if you want them.

I have a Lg size Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet too. cheeep.
it's not an Arai, but it'll do for now.

LMK if I can help.

I felt the same way about my first TD/bumping up: that I'll be in the way, that this group will make my butt look big, etc., but like everyone else says...do it!

I wonder what percentage of people who try track days don't come back? I would imagine it's very small.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
katanafreak;242912 wrote: Thanks again everyone for the positive reinforcement. I pretty much think I am sold on trying out a trackday. I am just looking into all the safety gear I might have to buy... I have none of it. Is there a place where I might be able to get a used suit,boots,gloves relatively cheap? Thats all the gear I would need right? Also im kinda a fat guy lol im 5'10'' 235. they make suits that big lol?
The Internet is the best place to find deals on suits. Like this http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-LEATHER-RACING-ARMOR-SILVER/dp/B004161TCM A 2pc suit is a good starter suit if you just want to see what a track day is all about. If you decide the track is not the most fun you can have with your clothes on (doubtful) then you got a leather jacket you can use for street riding. Just make sure it has a full circumfrence zipper. Another option is to rent a set. Just make arrangements in advance so you know they will have your size when you get there.

You will wonder why you waited so long to get out there. I promise you that you will learn something about your bike and yourself by the end of the day.