Will this pass tech?

Hix25

I am looking at an 06 GSX-R 600 and it has a small dent/hole in the frame. the current (second) owner says this was done by the original owner and that he has a full race season in 2012 as well as multiple track days at mid-ohio and has never had an issue. My question is will this pass tech inspection at N2 events? I would like to pick it up this weekend and have it out at Pitt on 5/21. I am holding a 3/8 nut trying to give a size reference.

Attachments

• 20160506_163858.jpg
    20160506_163858.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 55

wanderlust

Just because someone says they never had a problem doesn't mean to ignore it if you know that it exists. If you find a problem, fix it -- regardless of whether it will pass or fail tech.

dsmitty37

I am looking at an 06 GSX-R 600 and it has a small dent/hole in the frame. the current (second) owner says this was done by the original owner and that he has a full race season in 2012 as well as multiple track days at mid-ohio and has never had an issue. My question is will this pass tech inspection at N2 events? I would like to pick it up this weekend and have it out at Pitt on 5/21. I am holding a 3/8 nut trying to give a size reference.

Should be fine but I am not a N2 tech. I wouldn't think twice about running it. Does not look like structural integrity is compromised and the frame is going to implode going into the kink on the back straight of the old course at PIRC

Hix25

Frame is straight and otherwise in good shape. I typically am not the type to ignore an issue, and would definitely look into trying to have it repaired. I am signed up for Pitt in 2 weeks and would really like to run the bike. I just don't wanna show up and be told I can't ride. If I need to I can take my R6 but I usually leave that set up for street riding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Resident metallurgist here. Its usually what you can't see that bites you. If the metal is deformed enough to have a hole, there are invisible cracks. Just teeny weenie little ones. And the metal will do the same thing as a windshield with a teeny weenie little crack . . . eventually. So when you can, find a good TIG welder who can repair it for you. It might also suffice to use a hole saw to just cut a nice clean hole that removes the dent and the stress raisers. Grind the edges of hole inside and outside. No sharp edges. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hix25

I appreciate the input. I work for a manufacturing company and was thinking about asking one of our welders if they could do it at home and make some money on the side. If not there is a small motorcycle shop close to me that offers welding services.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk