Won my first track day at NESBA at NY IMS

paris400

NoBull;104940 wrote: It's like the drugdealer that gives the first hit away and after that you're hooked and have to come back a paying customer LOL.

Lightning is a good beginner track as far as learning the track. Only 8 turns. It's a little fast for a first timer though but I'm sure you'll have a good time.
I've seen a few posts saying that Lightning is fast - what kind of speeds are you talking about for when beginners are on it? I'm trying to get to the track to do what I do on highways without those pesky cars; 75-80 is usually comfortable, with bursts of 100+ when I can get away with it. And that's with a top case so I can imagine how nice it will be with the bike prepped for the track. :D

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Any course is fast if you twist the black thingy on the right enough. :D

NJMP is a great facility and Lightning is a fun course. I must admit that I like the Thunderbolt configuration more. Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

jtsgsxr6

There's no speed requirement, especially in novice/beginner. It's not like the track will force you to be fast. People say lightning is fast because the corners are mostly larger radius high speed turns, and not tight slow ones.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
i'd think lightning is a good start....thunderbolts back section can be difficult for a novice....

shite, who am i kidding..i still cant get through that and feel as though i did it well

jtsgsxr6

lemondrop;105292 wrote: i'd think lightning is a good start....thunderbolts back section can be difficult for a novice....

shite, who am i kidding..i still cant get through that and feel as though i did it well
I'm not quite sure what section you mean as back section? Do elaborate.

lemondrop

the octopus into the loop-de-loop..

lightning doesnt have anything like that except for the bowl....and there are lenty of ways to get through that and maintain speed.....

jtsgsxr6

lemondrop;105298 wrote: basically, those two big turns that run into each other at the end before the bridge
The decreasing radius right into the long left before the esses or whatever. Yeah that's what i thought you meant. I think I've actually go that part down, I do have trouble being consistent with speed onto the straight after the bridge though.

Sorry for hijacking paris.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've heard Speedy the track marshall and others referring to that back section, specifically that decreasing right hander, as the "Jersey Devil". I like that. VIR names it's turns, now we can, too!

lemondrop

yea...when i first hit up the track...i heard people calling it the octopus or something of that natural....

maybe we can call it the fist pump? :p

Anyways, a little back on track, that long left sweeper and then the sharp left into the decreasing right into the esses...B group can get a little hectic through there due to the "Wait, WhereTF is the line?!?!"

Hence, I think that Lightning will be a good start...though I am still in for APril 3/4 at T-bolt

jtsgsxr6

lemondrop;105364 wrote:

Anyways, a little back on track, that long left sweeper and then the sharp left into the decreasing right into the esses...B group can get a little hectic through there due to the "Wait, WhereTF is the line?!?!"
Well there's your problem, got your right and left mixed up! Its a long right hander into a sharper right that sorta continues and ends in decreasing radius tight right, into the long left hander!

Only two left handers other than the chicanes and esses.

And yes no one ever uses the same line, neither do I since I make a lot of passes on the outside of the long left. It's always crazy.

NoBull

paris400;105253 wrote: I've seen a few posts saying that Lightning is fast - what kind of speeds are you talking about for when beginners are on it? I'm trying to get to the track to do what I do on highways without those pesky cars; 75-80 is usually comfortable, with bursts of 100+ when I can get away with it. And that's with a top case so I can imagine how nice it will be with the bike prepped for the track. :D
Speeds all depends on the rider. There are some folks in the B group that are really rolling. Your job is to ride your own ride and have fun.

In the B group most of the speed will be coming out of the long bowl turn onto the front straight (check the track map on NJMP's website). The first half of the course is a bunch of linked turns ending with a sharp left. After that it's a kink leading to the bowl and then the front straight. You can easily get into triple digit speeds on the front straight.

All the fun is in the turns though. Not the speed while going in a straight line.

Don't worry about what other people are doing. Ride your own ride, let the faster guys overtake you (only on straights in the B group) and concentrate on having fun. Follow the CR's on track to get the line down and use them to get feedback after the session and try to apply this feedback on subsequent sessions. (it can be a little much on your first day for some people though)

I'm sure you'll have fun. Did you decide on a date yet?

rk97

"the octopus"

I've always heard the long decreasing right-hander referred to as "the octopus" as well.

I didn't get to ride Thunderbolt the first season it was open, but others who had were already calling it the octopus when I finally rode it last April.

If you look at the track map, i guess that turn kind of looks like the 'head' of an octopus, but isn't it also turn 8?

Paris400 - Welcome. Now please PM me with your picks for lotto numbers.

jtsgsxr6

lemondrop;105374 wrote: I usually take the short cut :D
Does your shortcut invovle grass/sand. maybe I'll throw on some dual sport tires and try that method:D

Paris if you were trying to follow our little side track the section of turns in the pic is what we were discussing. The arrow is the direction of flow on track.