WTB: Beginner track bike

leigh

All,

I'm interested in picking up an inexpensive track machine. Preference for something fairly light (so that I can load/unload confidently alone). Doesn't need to be pretty or street legal. I just want a basic, beginner capable, safe and true, track bike. Something Ninja 250-like is what I've got on my brain, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks,
Leigh

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Addicted already I see. :D Check the classifieds here, but also check out wera.com. A lot of racebikes go through there and with the seasons endeing there should be a lot of bikes going up on the market. Good luck in your search

leigh

Thanks for the PMs--I'll be sure to get back to all of them later today.

Dave, yeah, a wee bit addicted, if I'm having dreams about being on the track that's a sign right? Plus I really am floored by how much of an impact a short time on the track made on my street riding. My fantasy is that I'll be a little less pokey-paced if I'm on a bike that I love a little less than the duc.

SplitSkyRacing

Leigh,

I have a 1999 SV650 fully prepped that I am getting ready to sell. I am in the Dulles VA area. Shoot me an email if you are interested. splitskyracing [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks,
Jon

rk97

http://forums.13x.com is the WERA forum where the classifieds actually are. lots of people looking to clean out their garages before winter.

I don't want to steer you away from the EX250 if that's what you want, but as someone who moved from an EX500 to a CBR, keep in mind what each bike was designed for at its inception. they're WORLDS apart.

There is plenty to learn on the ninja 250, but the chassis was not engineered with racing in mind. 250 or even 125cc GP bikes would weigh less and perform better. if 4 strokes are more viable options, you could also pick up an older ZX6, CBR, GSXR, or R6 for cheap and at least start off with a bike that was made to race in its day.

a guy on craigslist was selling a track-only F3 for $750 the other day...

just my $.02

leigh

All,

Just checking in to say I'm still looking... Folks sent me links to some really nice bikes that cost way more than what I'm looking to protect by getting a dedicated track bike :p. Seriously, when I say "cheap" I mean $1500 kinda cheap.

FastFatGuy I'm still keeping an eye on your SV650--I love the pink. I'm just not sure when I'd ever be able to get the time to get up to where you are.

Anyone parting with something light and cheap at VIR this weekend?

miller

Control Rider
Hey Leigh, I have a close friend who is getting out of riding. (I have no clue why) He is selling a 2000 Honda F4 with both the street and race bodywork, leathers, and boots for $3000. I've ridden the bike several times. It goes well and has no issues. He's in Jersey. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested. 908-416-0783.

motogypsy

i just saw an FZR400 on the WERA forum for 1500...i have a friend who rides one and says they are a whole lot of fun...

diuane

leigh

Thanks, I've been watching the Wera forum too per the suggestions here. The problem starts to become if the bike is 500-1000 miles away then it winds up costing a lot more than $1500... Thanks for keeping your eye out for me though!

Blaise

leigh;20631 wrote: All,

Just checking in to say I'm still looking... Folks sent me links to some really nice bikes that cost way more than what I'm looking to protect by getting a dedicated track bike :p. Seriously, when I say "cheap" I mean $1500 kinda cheap.

FastFatGuy I'm still keeping an eye on your SV650--I love the pink. I'm just not sure when I'd ever be able to get the time to get up to where you are.

Anyone parting with something light and cheap at VIR this weekend?
I bought a '97 ZX6R for this same reason.... and I'm very happy with it. Paid $1500 with new tires and sprockets/chain, and spent another $600 putting a fresh suspension on it. Lots of fun, plenty fast, and I've crashed it twice without getting too upset over it.

Next winter it will be sold... for now it's great fun, and I don't have any trouble keeping up with the guys on the new bikes in I group! :cool:

JGardy_781

I'm half-assed selling my SV now.

Pics here: http://tinyurl.com/62emge

Basics:

• I'm second owner - had it as a streetbike since 1,500 miles in 2003. Done a bundle of track days on it - 34-36 from the records I have. Maybe had 16,000 miles on it before the speedo drive was removed in early 2006; add a thousand or two miles since then on track. It's been crashed twice at the track - I've rode the bike for a year between crash #1 and #2, and intermittently rode a session or two over an additional 6 days after crash #2. Seems straight, far as I can tell. Little damage is evident save for the tank being scratched a bit but it's not dented or mis-shapen.
  • Currently naked with a Cheetah GSXR-style tail; I've got a crashed and partially-repaired fiberglass spare tail section if you want it.
  • Pared wiring harness with non-essentials removed. Stock "S" cluster with tach operational, along with the oil press., water temp, and neutral idiot lights functional. Low fuel light isn't operational.
  • Race tech emulators in front end with stiffer springs (maybe .85 or .90's - can't remember straight off) probably good for 180-190 lb. rider; I've "grown" to about 200 - I'll bottom the forks at my weight), 20-wt. oil and '02 preload adjusters.
  • 636 rear shock - better than stock; worse than Penske, Fox or Ohlins, and good for a 180-190'ish rider.
  • 520 conversion, with Bigass rear sprocket geared for shorter tracks
  • Stainless F/R brake lines, front pads are Vesrah RJL's, front master cylinder is an R1 radial unit. I'd replace this with a Brembo 19x20, but that's down to personal preference. I rode the R1 cylinder for years after having bad luck with Suzuki MC's.Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsetsIntuitive frame slidersScotts rotary damperBRG 1/5th Turn Throttle AdapterCurrently has D208GPA 120/70 front, and a D207RR rear in 160/60, each with 2-3 days on them. Have a set of spare Qualifiers with 2 days on them (I used to get 6 days a set) in 120/70-160/60.Full stainless M4 exhaust with damaged can shortened about 50% its original lengthBMC "street" air filter, unsnorkeled
Lots of spare SV pieces and parts accumulated over the years can be rooted through by the purchaser at their leisure.

Has clean Virginia title, if you want it, but you'd have a hell of an uphill battle re-streeting it.

I'm having difficulty in blocking shop time to get it running - it hasn't been out of the garage in over a year, and to make matters worse, I attempted to re-jet the bike last fall (somewhat unsuccessfully), and then let it sat with fuel in the carbs (kids and work, et. al. have intervened) - I'd sell it for $1,500 with all the associated paraphanelia if I get it running at anything more than an idle, and I can get it running to test ride it before the end of the year; I'm not terribly interested in selling it if I can't get it running, unless you'd like to learn all about SV engine carbueration, which I pretty much think no one does...

If I do get it running before the end of month activities at Summit, you're welcome to test ride it (it'll tech into A for NESBA). being that you're somehwere in SW VA, I can conceivably help deliver, otherwise.

I'd like to get the thing out of my garage before the winter, but at the same time, I'm a bit hamstrung by my own schedule in getting it running...

/j

JGardy_781

Just tried to fire the bastard when I got home from work - both cylinders fire, but there's something amiss (to put it mildly) with the carbs. I can get it running after cranking, but then it won't idle - holding throttle open, keeping revs ~5K, it's backfiring and surges. Backfiring says too rich, surging says too lean. Methinks I'm out of my element trying to get this worked out. Might bring it to a mechanic and then post for sale.

/j

mlrmotorsports

i am looking for a 600 track bike also, i am a beginer so any information or opinions are welcome. I have about 3000k to spend and if its street legal thats a plus

Two Smokers Rule

Have either of you guys considered a 125 race bike. If you are just starting out, there is nothing that will teach you more than a 125. Light, fast and more fun than any 600 you'll ever throw a leg over. I am considering selling my Honda RS125 over the winter if you are interested. I have had a blast doing track days and a race here and there on it, but now it is someone else's turn. PM me if you are interested. I am just north of Charlotte NC.

nukinfuts

I'd recommend an SV650, that bike has potential all over it should you be talented enough to keep climbing the ladder!!!