Yamaha Champions school

glen521

Control Rider
Just returned from Rd Atlanta, feeling like I am sliding backwards rather than progressing - I decided to try something different. Coincidentally, there are some slots left for 7/14-15 @ NJMP. I signed up. This will be my first formal school. I am going with open mind and I have heard nothing but great things from all that have taken it. I am dragging one other guy with me. Anyone else interested ? they also have space 7/16 & 17

glen521

Control Rider
Thnx Rob. I am actually excited, truly looking forward with no expectations / open mind.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You'll love it. I've taken several schools. YCRS is the one that helped me improve the most. I'm hoping to take it again at some point.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Great move Glen.... drink as much of their kool-aid as you can while you're there. It's really good stuff.

Last edited:

motorkas

really looking forward to your feedback - loved what I heard in the noon classroom sessions at NJMP and my brother and I are definitely doing their course next year (can't ignore all the positive feedback from numerous clean and fast riders saying how much it helped them get to that next level!!!!!).

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Kas..... You better take the course this year ..... You need all the help you can get to stay in front of your younger brother now that you're both in the Advanced group together;)

glen521

Control Rider
I have returned intact..........very interesting. I truly enjoyed it. As I said, my first school. Now just have to get out there and put new knowledge to use. I would suggest for anyone, especially those that have hit a plateau or even before then. In response to " school is EXPENSIVE "...........................how much does a crash cost ? or, how much $$$ do you spend going to track days repeatedly just trying to figure it out on your own OR reinforcing bad habits ?

For those of you tossing the idea around, do yourself a favor and do some training before going if you cannot do 2 full track days back to back. You do not want to miss out because you have no stamina. It is not about speed but there is so much much info to receive and it is fast paced, helpful if you can keep up mentally and physically. You will be engaged and cannot remain anonymous. Be on time to be fair to everyone else. I should have gone sooner.

They insist on using their bikes which actually relieves much drama. No excuses about " my ____ is not working " or not passing tech, holding up the group. I was concerned about not having my own and being on a strange machine, w/out my Brembo and suspension The stock R6 was capable w/ new tires and 600 miles, mint clean. It is yours for 2 days, no sharing, your shift pattern, adjust the levers to your liking. Their system works. The instructors were excellent and truly love the sport as much as we do, working well together.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I was there again last week, too, not in your class, obviously. Glad you liked it and I agree 100% with your points. This school will change your life. And maybe even save it. The stuff they teach will make you faster, smoother, safer. Also check out their website at fastersafer.com. It's subscription based, but worth it. It's full of articles and videos of the stuff they teach. Believe it's $80/yr.

I'm a repeat student to YCRS and I'm sure I'll go again.

glen521

Control Rider
Judy,
You must have been Wed/Thurs and had the better weather. One guy from my group stayed over into yours, doing 4 days in a row.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Glad to hear you took the school, Glen. Now it's time to come out to the track and play and practice.

glen521

Control Rider
Yes Jim , you are so right. This is my plan exactly.

The 8/12 & 13 dates combining N2 and YCRS are a great chance for the members to get a taste of YCRS for those that have been hesitant. I believe this should be a very popular addition for everyone. To those that have been on the fence, do not miss out.

glen521

Control Rider
Now that my season is coming to a close....thought I would review the school again. I think it has given me much to work on. The weather has not cooperated much on our double days since I took it in July. I do feel more comfortable , and comfort allows everything else to open up. I have not taken any lap times so I cannot say that I am "__ seconds quicker" after taking it..........but I know i will be. YCRS pointed out some bad habits I had developed, have to continue to clean those up. Thnx to all who encouraged me to take it also.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Now that my season is coming to a close....thought I would review the school again. I think it has given me much to work on. The weather has not cooperated much on our double days since I took it in July. I do feel more comfortable , and comfort allows everything else to open up. I have not taken any lap times so I cannot say that I am "__ seconds quicker" after taking it..........but I know i will be. YCRS pointed out some bad habits I had developed, have to continue to clean those up. Thnx to all who encouraged me to take it also.

I am one of those cheap ass skeptics...I'll admit it. And quite frankly, I'd be most interested to see just how much your lap times got affected by taking YCRS. If taking YCRS will get me running 15's at Summit, I'll sign up this week. Otherwise...yeah.

glen521

Control Rider
I am one of those cheap ass skeptics...I'll admit it. And quite frankly, I'd be most interested to see just how much your lap times got affected by taking YCRS. If taking YCRS will get me running 15's at Summit, I'll sign up this week. Otherwise...yeah.

Otto, For me this was not just about lap times. ..... I am not competing in races. It was about comfort. I believe my backward slide was caused by a number of factors, especially not riding enough one year and then not riding enough in "A" the following year. I feel like I am almost back to where I was.
I will keep record of times in 2015, and keep you posted.

How far off from 15s are you now ? Are you 5 off or 1 ? We all have limits. Some of us will reach them, some not. It is quite doubtful that any of us that are " up in the years" will be snatched up by some AMA team or any of the EU series, no matter how fast we become. For me it is a balance of having fun and challenging myself vs. ending up like Humpty Dumpty. If I end up as the latter, my self employment crumbles and my family suffers. This is always in the back of my mind, since family is priority.
There are pro riders that have taken the school as well as a motogp current rider. Everyone can learn something, and for some fractions of a second are all that they need.
We all know someone who crashes often. How much does a crash cost ?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Well said, Glen!

The first time I took YCRS, I did easily drop a couple of seconds from all the tracks I ride without even trying. I've had some setbacks and have slowed down. I will take YCRS again, because it's all about learning techniques that will make you a better rider overall. That comfort level will have you going faster if that's what you are wanting to accomplish. But, the added bonus is you'll be doing it a lot safer as a result of the techniques taught.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Otto, For me this was not just about lap times. ..... I am not competing in races. It was about comfort. I believe my backward slide was caused by a number of factors, especially not riding enough one year and then not riding enough in "A" the following year. I feel like I am almost back to where I was.
I will keep record of times in 2015, and keep you posted.

How far off from 15s are you now ? Are you 5 off or 1 ? We all have limits. Some of us will reach them, some not. It is quite doubtful that any of us that are " up in the years" will be snatched up by some AMA team or any of the EU series, no matter how fast we become. For me it is a balance of having fun and challenging myself vs. ending up like Humpty Dumpty. If I end up as the latter, my self employment crumbles and my family suffers. This is always in the back of my mind, since family is priority.
There are pro riders that have taken the school as well as a motogp current rider. Everyone can learn something, and for some fractions of a second are all that they need.
We all know someone who crashes often. How much does a crash cost ?

I run 19's at Summit now. I have no doubt that a real class could teach me a multitude of things...I just would hope the lap times would reflect it. I keep finding time every season. Obviously, it's not gonna come as easy as the days from Novice to Advance, but it's getting there. PB was mid 23's last year as a novice. Broke into the teens this year. I see no reason why my stock motor R6 couldn't hit 17's with a decent rider on it.

With confidence comes speed...but $2500 is large chunk of my budget for riding. I would hate to take the class, only to ride the bike less than half of what I normally do in a season. I'm not that dense... I know there's a lot of over head they (And other riding/racing schools) have to cover...and nobody works for free. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still a LOT of money for most people. I really liked N2's idea of having that track day at NJMP (I think it was) where it was like $500 or something like that. Covered the cost of the track day plus a little extra instructor time. That's what you need, for people like me. I would want a small taste (Along with a smaller price) of what the curriculum entails. It's real tough to drop that kind of change at something you have no idea on what you're getting yourself into.