Yamaha Feedback

sternsi

Control Rider
We are looking for any feedback on Yamaha motorcycles or other items you may own. Feedback can be from a demo ride, bike, or other product that you currently own. Please leave good or bad feedback.

The most common feedback I have seen from the demo rides that members' or other riders feel is no site glass on the R6 for oil, no shift indicator and no steering dampner.

Please keep in mind, this thread needs to stay about feedback. Any threads that are discussing anything else WILL BE DELETED

kneedragger45

I have an 06 R6 and i would have to agree with the lack of a site glass as being an issue. The dip stick is a bit of a PITA!! Also when are they going to change from the undertail exhaust on the R1? I have a 99 R1 and the only thing keeping me from buying a new one is the BUTT ugly non-performance enhancing undertail one they are currently using.

Bossgobbler

Since the R6 is already hyped as a track-focused bike, adjustable rear sets would be a plus. Also, the stock pegs aren't track-position friendly. I find the pointed ends to be uncomfortable on the balls of my feet. I would prefer pegs with knurled, rounded ends.

I love the slipper clutch. It performs as advertised. I am also satisfied with engine performance. Shorter throttle travel would be nice. I have to reposition my hand to achieve WOT. That's annoying.

Other than "green" for neutral, I couldn't care less about a shift indicator.

Brake and clutch levers are not adjustable around the circumference of the clip-ons due to the registration pins. It's an easy fix to file the pins, but why bother fixing the levers in place when a lot of people will want to reposition them for comfort?

I'm happy with geometry, but others may not like it. The bike comes with the fork tubes topped out in the upper triple clamp. How about another couple cm for adjustability?

I love the styling - best in class for my taste. The bike stands out in a crowd. I'd like to see the the look remain sharp and menacing.

I would never ride the R6 on the street - I have and it is no fun- but I absolutely love it on the track. Most of my minor criticisms can be addressed with aftermarket items or slight mods, but you did ask.

BigBird

demo ride...2009 r6

brakes feel like they can have more feel and probably a better compound...and the clutch is a little high on takeoff, but works well when moving. bike has great handling, smooth engine response and thanks for the demo ride...will make me consider a yamaha definitely in the future!

breed77

I test rode the 09 R1... It would have been nice to maybe get a quick brief on the mode selector.
I am sure i read about it in the Mags... but That wasn't something I was thinking about during the test ride. I rode around the track in "Street" mode... The bike handeled great, but it doesn't have the Low end my Gixxer has. In stock form it is ok, I am sure with all the aftermarket goodies it would be an awsome track day bike! Bike sounds great!

Matt H

I got to ride a friend's 09 R1 (completely stock - tires, suspension (didn't turn a knob), and all; 15 miles on the odometer). Rode maybe 5 or 6 sessions, and the thing is awesome! can't imagine how good of a bike with all the proper track bits and such. HUGE leap forward from the previous ones. Great bike.

Macon663

Matt H;75750 wrote: I got to ride a friend's 09 R1 (completely stock - tires, suspension (didn't turn a knob), and all; 15 miles on the odometer). Rode maybe 5 or 6 sessions, and the thing is awesome! can't imagine how good of a bike with all the proper track bits and such. HUGE leap forward from the previous ones. Great bike.
Did you drag knee on that bike? Because I did. A mode was fun.

Casper

I rode an 09 R6 at a track down south and second the comments above re the need for adjustable rear sets and the lack of a steering damper. The bike is amazingly nimble, turns in GREAT, and the RPMs make you feel like you can eat much larger bikes for lunch. I did notice that the bike felt slightly underpowered next to the ZX6.

jberkshire15

still not ready to buy a new R1

Either my butt is too fat, the seat is too high or the fork tubes need to be taller for a higher bar height. To me, it felt like i was nose diving the whole ride. I am 6' 215lbs
I definatily couldn't race this machine because it didn't feel like there were any brakes. For the novice roadrunner, I am sure the pads are adequately friendly of a scenario when grabbing too much brake too fast.
The clutch is too high on take off
Pleeeennnnnty of power!!!
My review probably doesn't matter since I have been on a 03 954 since it was new. I seldom ride any other bikes.
thank you very much for the demo ride

Casper

R6: TONS of potential. The bike is incredibly agile and fit a 160lb, 5’9 (ish) rider perfectly. It also has plenty of power and looks very good, both in street and track trim.

The down side: Because this bike has to be run at or near red line, I had a hard time using the power on an unfamiliar track and I think it’s built for riders that are happy at-or-near 14k RPM. In faster corners, the brakes felt wooden and offered zero feedback, a condition that was aggravated by forks that felt set for much heavier riders. I also thought the tranny felt clunky and I had major issues downshifting from speed. This could be do to issues with a jacked ankle, but the shifts seemed more difficult than normal, often requiring multiple stomps to engage and resulted in a number of “deep” lines.

As to if I’ll buy one, I’m not certain yet. I can say that, thanks to the Yamaha/Nesba guys, I know what to expect from my new bike if I do!!!! You guys gave graciously gave me the opportunity to ride the bike hard and as a result, I can put the paper stats into a real world context! Many thanks!!

Rydell

I own a 06 R6 and have been riding it on and off the street / track for a couple years now. Put about 10k on it.

Definitely by far the best looking bike out there, that was one of the main reasons I went for it. Number one main reason is it's tracking capabilities. Hopefully Yamaha doesn't stray from this.

Like an above member mentioned, since it is a super sport aimed at the track, make the rear sets adjustable. You already lean forward more so than alot of the competitors out there, so offering the ability to adjust the rear set to accomodate this would be extremely nice. From a marketing standpoint, no other manufacturer offers this.

Steering dampner. The R6 needs a steering dampner. It's very twitchy and even the most simple dampner would make a difference. Yamaha is behind the curve on this one, as Suzuki already offers this standard on their GSXR's.

Power band could be more linear. I grew up racing two stroke bikes in the dirt and this feels like a two stroke. I can't imagine riding around in the 16k range to maintain adequate power on the track is good for the life of the motor. I've already blown one motor, I have a feeling it would have lasted longer if it was a more linear power delivery. Not to mention it offers a more strict riding style maintaining power in the short power band range it has. That's just me being picky.

I'd also prefer a gear indicator. Again, that's just me being picky.

The huge contraption hanging off the tail with lights and a license plate on it.... Please make it a bit more subtle. I think removing this or modding it is on everyones to do list when they first get this bike.

Get rid of that exup valve. Or offer a way to get rid of the damned check engine light when you remove it. Few people actually keep that restrictive stock exhaust which requires removing the EXUP - thus throwing the CEL.

These are all things off the top of my head I'd love see resolved. Either way, the R6 will remain my bike of choice, mostly because it is slowly converting to a track only bike.

quicka2

I would say:
-Adjustable rear sets.
-Update instrument cluster but keep lay out.
-Maybe a little low end power.
-Shorter Throttle travel as stated above

-Keep gear indicator out! (green light is enough)
-Keep styling
-Maybe offer track package

Myers

Control Rider
quicka2;290282 wrote:

-Maybe offer track package
I think the company that understands the cost savings/cost gain by eliminating the street stuff .. .and coming up with a base option for their bike may have found a nitch in the market....

eliminate
-cat
-guage cluster
-street fairings
-exhaust options OR eliminate exhaust all together (we will replace it period)
-street electrical options
-key option
all cost savings

Option in:
-upgraded suspension
-primered track fairings
-tach with a gear indicator and shift light

done - ill do the rest :)

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Way to revive a 3 year old thread!!

Having owned and ridden an R6 for an entire season, and put all the goodies on, the only thing that ABSOLUTELY must change is that gosh-darn friggity-frackin oil level dipstick. EVERY OTHER bike has a sight glass. Hate it. Oh, and make the shifter pivot bolt separate from everything else. Stock mount is on the kickstand assembly. A less progressive shock link would be nice too. Other than that, bike is ridiculously awesome and gets better the harder you push.