Yamaha

Motomoon

The bike has a shorter feel to it. It is narrower in the tank area and has a shorter feel to the bars. The bikes here have enuff fuel and such that they drove them out for the intro and they do have a lighter feel. They give the impression of a more compact machine over all. You just have that feeling when sitting on it.

The cross-plane crank set up is really the main attraction to me. To see this on the R1, you can't help but think it may make it to the R6.

The exhaust and headlites are my least fav part visually but in race trim it will looks very purposfull.

Leitner559

Control Rider
Exactly what I was wondering: how long until there's a supersport big bang. Still, fricken great that Yamaha has the balls to introduce something truly new to the consumer market. My first bike was a Seca II. Just might come full circle with this new R1....

beaver

the good think about a new model is that you can get the late one at a very good price.
considering that the '08 R1 is a fantastic bike I may take the deal, passing a new model with an old one is priceless :moon:

Rick Johnson

New motor sounds sweet.I'd like to hear it with some aftermarket Termingnoni's.Also not a fan of the head lights and bulky pipes.Sounds very powerful though.Maybe we can test ride next year at the track.

emry

Just to clearify the engine is not "Big Bang." It is normally refered to as "Long Bang", the difference being that big bang engines fire 2 cylinders at the same moment followed by a pause then fire the other 2, a long bang uses a firing order that causes the cylinders to fire at intervals that are spaced at unevenly. no 2 cylinder fire at the same moment. This is the style of firing order that is currently in favor in the MR-1. The exhaust note is definately nice, very distinctive.

BigKid

They started the 09 R1 at the Yamaha tent in Indy. WOW, where do I sign. I think my 05 is going to get it's street trim back. Going to have to trade UP. BTW, adjustable rearsets, looks like the same rear suspension as current (ie swap ohlins shock over) still waiting on front ohlins transfer info. I am going to start streeting my 05 R1 as soon as the november Barber date is over unless someone wants a well sorted 05 R1.

Vadim

This bike is beautiful (unlike the ZX-10R - AND CBR1000!) and I could only imagine what the torque of this thing feels like in the midrange!
I like how they got Colin to do the pictures, sweet! He is da man.

Brian Laws

To all those who not giving the R1 a second look based on the fat pipes, I give you this. Also, to Armor Bodies, I want front fairing that look EXACTLY like this!

09R1race.jpg

This bike will be in my garage next year, even if I have to sell my soul! :adore:

BLARNEY

I would not expect to see the long-bang motor in a middleweight.

With the open class bikes they have a surplus of power and torque and
need to control delivery to make it more useable.... this is the same
reason the "underpowered" ( by comparison ) Ducati twin has done so well.

How do you make a four more like a twin in the delivery department ?

V-Four or long bang.

Now in the middleweight department.... to get decent horsepower you need to
tune the heck out of them and let them rev. The torque they make is well
balanced with tire-grip. Less horsepower would get you passed on the
straights and left for dead ( if displacement is equal ).

Doesn't seem to me that it applies to middleweights favorably......

:dunno:

Tom :notsure:

The new R1 definatly has my full attention.

Brian Laws

Ahh, one hater has seen the light! Welcome back from the dark side Emerson.

obtw, still need your help securing one of these in the spring...!

Emerson;14321 wrote: i'm sorry i just dont like how it looks :saythat:

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Brian Laws;19245 wrote: Ahh, one hater has seen the light! Welcome back from the dark side Emerson.

obtw, still need your help securing one of these in the spring...!
No prob, I'll help you get one right after i get mine!! :D :cool:

speedfree

Brian Laws;19189 wrote: To all those who not giving the R1 a second look based on the fat pipes, I give you this. Also, to Armor Bodies, I want front fairing that look EXACTLY like this!

09R1race.jpg

This bike will be in my garage next year, even if I have to sell my soul! :adore:
..and you will - $12.5K!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't swing that. I'll wait until 2012, I guess, and pick up a used one.