2006 GSXR600 Oil

bnation

After reading other threads on this forum and doing some research, I'm thinking of switching from the Motul synthetic 10w-40 I'm currently using in my bike to Shell Rotella-T 5w-40. The Rotella is easier for me to find and I can get a gallon for the cost of a quart of the Motul.

Should there be any issue doing this? Suzuki recommends 10w-40, will the 5w-40 will be ok?

zangman

There is a Suzuki dealership online that sells the Suziki Synth for VERY cheap. Can't remember the name but even with shipping it is cheaper than any other Synth available.

jkrueger

the difference in a 10W-40 to a 5W-40 is the 5W will have better cold (cold start) properties to keep the oil thinwhile it is warming, the second number is the one to concern yourself with as it is the weight of the oil (more or less) in the operating temp. ANd generally a rule of thumb is that the lower the frist number the better or more refined the oil is. and rotella rocks, been using it for going on 3 years now

Meat

zangman;67370 wrote: There is a Suzuki dealership online that sells the Suziki Synth for VERY cheap. Can't remember the name but even with shipping it is cheaper than any other Synth available.
Cheaper than $19/gal for Rotella synthetic?