2008 CBR 1000RR Questions

Relic

I'm a novice at this so please pardon the ignorance. I'll be riding a 2008 CBR 1000RR this track season and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover/switch off the headlight and mirrors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I tried to remove the mirrors, but after unscrewing the mirrors, I wasn't sure what to do with the wires, so I screwed the mirrors back on. Regarding the headlights, I'm thinking of going with duct tape, but I'm sure there are other better alternatives. For example, is there a way to simply turn the headlights off? Thanks.

chaun

You have to tape up the lights so they don't shatter if you crash. Duct tape is good and removes pretty easy. You should disconnect the wiring to your lights so you don't heat up the tape and to make sure your brake light doesn't light up... there's no stopping on track so we don't need brake lights.

You can leave your mirrors on but they need to be taped too... I'd find a way to remove them and secure the cabling.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think, with the exception of the Intro group, the mirrors are required to be removed. There should be a plug, you can just unplug them, then tape the wires up someplace so they don't dangle. That's what I did with my gixxer.

Everything else...all lights, reflectors, must be taped. I always used duct tape, some folks like blue painter's tape. Definitely unplug everything, and your brake light MUST be deactivated. On some bikes, it's simple to just pull fuses. On others, like mine, the fuses I wanted pulled, disabled some stuff I didn't want disabled. In that case, you're better off pulling the plugs. In addition to taping the headlight, unplug it, too, or it'll get too hot from the tape, and make a stickier mess out of things.

Make sure you've got good tires, and drop the cold pressures to around 30 psi front and rear.

Enjoy!

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Its about a 10 min job...real easy. The turn signal wiring for the mirrors are inside a boot in the upper fairing under the mirror mounting. Two wires for each, snap disconnect. For the tail light & rear turn signals there are two connections under your seat, snap disconnect. you will see the wire bundle going rearward so its pretty obvious. For the headlights, inside the upper fairing there are 2 round covers right behind each headlight. unscrew and disconnect the wire to each light. they just pull off. Your good to go dude!!! have fun.

Fire929

Kappy's post takes care of the prep so I just wanted to give a +1 to using painters tape. It's seems easier to get off than duct tape plus if it's blue it makes your bike faster.