2010 R6 ECU compatibility?

Zack Kropp

Im getting a er-1 code on my 2010 r6. Im at a brick wall with my troubleshooting and i think my ECU might be damaged.

What ECU's are compatible for my 2010 r6? i have seen some 08-12 ECU's for sale but the yamaha part numbers im noticing are different year to year so this makes me skeptical.

Going over to a friends tomorrow to hook up a working 09 ECU (which he isnt trying to sell). But any info on what ecu's will work with my bike would be helpful.

Thanks

Ruhe52

What does the bike do just crank but will not start? Start but run rough? Is ECU fully plugged in? Other than code give some details

1. Un Plug ECU and make sure all pins are straight.

2. go to fuse box back by batt and check EVT fuse replace if needed.

3. make sure all wires are solid no little nicks or cuts. Have you done any electric work recently to the bike.

You can toss your buddies in there and see if it takes care of it but if you have an issue that fried your ECU then you get to purchase 2 units and still have an issue.

Has this ECU been flashed.

Safe to say more details from you will lead to a more specific answer.

Details of any modifications
PCV? QS, Angle Eyes head lights :D

Bike runs or not. Runs rough? Runs but when you hit throttle it seems to be almost out of gas?
Let us know and we can figure it out. Had many a dead or F'd up ECU turn into a simple fuse.

Also If you need an ECU I know a guy that has a couple of new 2010s but you really need to figure out what is causing this one to shit the bed.

Zack Kropp

It's a bike I bought from a dealership that was going out of business. They had turned it into a parts bike because one of the employees wrecked their personal bike. So they pulled this one off the showroom floor and pulled off the tank, headlights, headlight sub harness, front brake accessories, and a few odds and ends. Then the bike sat in a corner for years.

I bought a tank and fuel pump for it, got the headlight sub harness for it as well as air temperature and atmospheric air pressure sensors for the front airbox. And that's everything needed to make it run.

Evt fuse is good, all fuses are good, pins are straight, nothing is dirty, bike has never been started 000000 miles on odometer. Ecu has never been flashed to my knowledge. No headlights hooked up and everything is stock. But someone previously had their hands on it and I'm starting to believe with my er-1 code that somehow they were able to damage or short the ecu.

Cycle key on, fuel pump primes.... Go to start it And it will turn over as long as you hold the ignition but doesn't fire. I'm using / borrowing a battery off a zx10 in the garage I know is good. But I have a ballistic evo II in the mail so I can try that in a few days to make sure it's not just a battery problem

Zack Kropp

I'm going to try that 09 ecu today. If that makes my bike fire up I am interested on getting one of those 2010 ecu's from you.

Ruhe52

What if you torch that ECU in the process. I mean the condition in which your ECU was damaged is easily still present

At least pull the ground before unplugging old and plugging borrowed one in.

Zack Kropp

Wilmington North Carolina

Actually got ahold of the guy who physically was the one who pulled the bike apart a few years ago. He is the head mechanic at a local Harley Davidson shop in town. Gonna swing it by him tomorrow and see if he can think of anything. But I might want to ship my current ecu off soon to see if I can get it flashed as my next step. From my understanding if you can flash an ecu you also have the ability to see if it will work or not

Ruhe52

Zach I would highly recommend not getting your ECU Flashed. I have 3 sitting here I will not sell for 06-07. I prefer to leave it at that. If you want all the goods of a race ECU then there is a guy out west that has Kit ECU and Harnesses for your bike and priced pretty reasonable, but again I would not flash it. Yep there will be 100s saying no issue don't worry etc etc I had mine done. It's fine etc. Ask the mechanic at the Harley Dealer if it could be a push rod :D

He certainly may be able to point you at something he did. The thing is this sounds like a wiring issue. Find someone with a R6 and put yours in it and see if you have the same issue not the other way around. Disconnect battery first remove their install yours hook batt back up and see what the other R6 does. That will tell you if your ECU is some how Kafactah. We will get you rolling no worries.

What else you need for the bike?

Zack Kropp

I dropped the bike off with the guy who initially took it apart and turned it into a parts bike. He checked it over and said that electrically everything was 100% perfect on the bike. After hearing this I bought another ecu to test out. Got a used ecu for a 2010 r6 just like mine that I'm 100% sure worked previously.... And still same problem.

I have been hearing / reading things about the meter might be a cause of my problem? When the key is turned the tach cycles, all the indicators work and the odometer reads 000000 miles which is correct. I don't see how it could be broken considering it is an output device and it correctly displays outputs correctly

Example- if I unplug the air temp sensor which is on the headlight sub harness (also what the meter connects to) I get a code corresponding to this sensor. So I have communication from my headlight harness sensors and my meter. I have a good ecu..... And according to myself and another mechanic no signs of wiring problems. So why no communication from the ecu? Fuck

Ruhe52

Zach trying to help here.
Does the bike crank over and just not start or is it dead. Powers up but no wur wur wur when you hit the starter?

Ruhe52

This has to be a case of the prior tech that dismantled the bike unplugging something. Much like your ECU sitting there it would not take a dump unless defective from the factory and again doubtful. That said depending on your response we may be able to trace this down to a few things.
Let me know if I had it in front of me we would have this knocked out in short order.

Zack Kropp

It turns over but does not fire. Going to check my sub harness more thoroughly that goes to the meter tonight. I'm thinking even though ithe connectors click in easily maybe I'm missing a pin? Gonna unwrap those wires and trace them all as well. I don't have access to a manual for the 2010 but mechanically the 08 is similar... And the service manual for that says the meter can also be the source of that code. So that's where my focus is now

Zack Kropp

Got the bike running!
The sub harness was bad... causing no signal at the meter / cluster from the ecu. AND all of my primary injectors were clogged shut.

When i got the bike initially I got with a lot of things disassembled and parts in boxes. The subharness / headlight harness i got to go with the bike was off of an 06-07 r6. the 06-07 sub harness does not have or support a sensor for the front air pressure sensor, which is on the 10' r6. and i was missing the air temp sensor. so i was getting the corresponding codes for theses, but no er-1 code.

Ordered a new sub harness for the correct year to support necessary sensors.... it cleared my atmospheric air pressure sensor code and air temp code but the new er-1 code appeared. I didnt put it together because i wasnt aware that no communication with the meter caused an ECU code.... and it powered up the meter, and cleared the other codes so i didnt look at the brand new sub harness as the culprit.

I ended up taking apart both harnesses, and used my 06-07 harness and added to it the ncessary sensor wires from the new harness.
-The 06-07 harness was very similar... i removed 2 wires from the main pin that went to the air temp seneor (on the 06-07) and replaced it with the same wires from the new sub harness.... because those 2 wires on the new one also spliced off and supported the necessary air pressure sensor i needed.
-so now i have all my codes cleared... but it has the same symptoms

-ended up putting some carb cleaner down in the velocity stacks and into the TB's and it actually turned over!

-i then troubleshooted the hole fuel system and all the injectors were clogged. something i would have never thought of on a bike with 000000 miles that has never seen fuel. Im thinking somehow they were primed at one point in time? either way...

-hooked up a 9v battery and two lead wires to each injector. then connected a tube with a syringe to the injector and filled it with brake clean
-pulsed the injector by making contavt with the wire and was able to push a lot of crud out. they were pretty much all the way blocked initially.

then she fired right up no problem!

New bike...never seen fuel... new wiring....

had some bad wiring... and clogged injectors.... FUCK glad thats over haha

thanks for the help guys!