209gpa wear

ZeroBahamutxRR

It seems like a three way compound tire. I'm not familar with Dunlops (once my Pirelli Pro slicks are gone I will be :) ) but Pirelli's diablo rosso corsa (and DC3's) have a three way compound. Center of the tire is a harder compound for longevity and wear and the outter sides of the tire have a softer compound for better grip. That's what I think is going on.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
This is not an uncommon wear pattern for this tire. How much riding was done on that tire?

Mikey75702

ZeroBahamutxRR;193614 wrote: It seems like a three way compound tire. I'm not familar with Dunlops (once my Pirelli Pro slicks are gone I will be :) ) but Pirelli's diablo rosso corsa (and DC3's) have a three way compound. Center of the tire is a harder compound for longevity and wear and the outter sides of the tire have a softer compound for better grip. That's what I think is going on.
Not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that all the dunlop RACE tires are single compound. The 209 isn't a street tire like the DC3

ZeroBahamutxRR

Go to Dunlop's web page and go to the tire secotion at the top. The 209 GP-A is a dual compound. You can see it in the picture.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Actually, getting 3 days out of that soft tire is not bad. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may still have some life left.

There are many things that can contribute to the tire wear. First thing, which is pretty easy to do is to make sure you are running the correct pressure. On my old 600, I found that no more than 23 PSI hot off the track worked well. I also had to closely monitor the pressures during the day as the pressure grew. When the pressures grew, the tires would start showing the same type of wear. I was running the medium compound. The soft rear’s tend to wear more aggressively.

If you have not already done so, get your suspension set-up for your weight. I just made a change to my rear shock, and it cleared up a serious wear problem (on a different tire though).

Also, if I remember correctly, these tires liked to be on warmers. If not you would start to get that wear pattern, i.e. cold tearing.

matt2212

it is almost to the wear bars in the "bad" spot so I think at least untill lunch I'll be ok.

I have always been diligent about checking pressures on the hot warmers (23 lbs)

I also just got a new Ohlins shock, Mike Fitsgerald baselined it before he shipped it and I will get him to fine tune it at vir. maby that has something to do with it, but the tire seamed to wear much quicker than before.

Is it two late to flip it?

I Have another rear from the "mega deal" so its not that big of a deal just wondering if it was normal

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Yes, it is something I have seen a lot on the 209's. If it is wearing more aggressively now, you may not be good til lunch. Another thing, if you are close to the wear bars, you may not make it through tech... especially with the soft tire.

As far as flipping a tire, you really should flip it well before it gets to the wear bars. You still want to have rubber there for the left hand turns... and VIR N has a bunch. You may want to consider mounting the other rear and keeping an eye on it to know when to flip it, if you plan on flipping.

BTW, after the first session check your tire pressure right away off the track. I found mine grew a couple pounds in the rear from the hot off the warmer setting and I had to compensate for it. I usually set it at about 21 hot off warmers and it go to 23 hot off track. There are some that tell you to set the pressures differently, but that is what happened to worked well for me with the 209's. YMMV.

matt2212

thanks Jim,
helpful information
i will look at it closely when i get home, also I'll grab a Cr and check Friday pm if i can and get an oppion about tec

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
jcurtis;193696 wrote: Yes, it is something I have seen a lot on the 209's. If it is wearing more aggressively now, you may not be good til lunch. Another thing, if you are close to the wear bars, you may not make it through tech... especially with the soft tire.

As far as flipping a tire, you really should flip it well before it gets to the wear bars. You still want to have rubber there for the left hand turns... and VIR N has a bunch. You may want to consider mounting the other rear and keeping an eye on it to know when to flip it, if you plan on flipping.

BTW, after the first session check your tire pressure right away off the track. I found mine grew a couple pounds in the rear from the hot off the warmer setting and I had to compensate for it. I usually set it at about 21 hot off warmers and it go to 23 hot off track. There are some that tell you to set the pressures differently, but that is what happened to worked well for me with the 209's. YMMV.
+1 :agree:

CptCurt

My 209 looked like that after 1 day at Lightning and another at Thunderbolt. I was told by someone in the know that the Med Soft is a 12 lap tire and I got my 12 laps out of it. :haha: He added, "If you can figure out how to get better wear out of it, Dunlop wants to hear from you." I learned for myself that the "mega deal" isn't such a good deal after all.

DUNLOP-RTS

CptCurt;194037 wrote: My 209 looked like that after 1 day at Lightning and another at Thunderbolt. I was told by someone in the know that the Med Soft is a 12 lap tire and I got my 12 laps out of it. :haha: He added, "If you can figure out how to get better wear out of it, Dunlop wants to hear from you." I learned for myself that the "mega deal" isn't such a good deal after all.
WOW, 12 laps in just 1 day? you must not have ridden all the sessions. ;)

Honestly, that tire was never intended to be a 100 lap tire at Jersey. Jersey is hard on all tires, especially soft ones.

OK, so you may not have liked it. But there are many who did save lots on using that tire with a discounted price. no need to knock it if it was not for your pace.

Lets be more constructive.

Don't hide behind "Someone in the know", say who it is. Be upfront. Give the context it was said in.

bmart

Control Rider
I love my 209GPA tires and they seem to wear well for me riding in "A." I get 4-5 days our of a rear and there is plenty for tread left for street riding. No complaints here!

I still don't see anything bad in the posted pics.

Here's a pic of mine with four days on it, two of them at "CMP the tire eater."

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

matt2212

DUNLOP-RTS;194013 wrote: 3 track days.

Its a soft rear.

What bike?

What track?
two at barber one at summit point, cbr 600

I'm not dissatisfied, the wear just seamed a little diffrent from what other tires had done on my bike before. This is my first set of dunlops so I'm just trying to learn. Maby its a set up problem?

matt2212

I still don't see anything bad in the posted pics.
where the compound changes on the right side of the tire it cups tward the right edge and is warn to the wear bars, the rest of the tire looks great. I didn't say anything was wrong, maby this pic has a better view.