8/9 at NJMP

Marcmcm

When did everyone wind up getting on the track? I left at 1030 when I got tired of waiting on the rain to stop.

Marcmcm

Does NJMP have some sort of rule about not running while there is rain? I was all ready to go ride in the rain since it was only sprinkling in the morning. :dunno:

Fastguy

I don't ride in the rain, I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking that Nesba had the issue of standing water somewhere on the track.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
By 11:45ish it was virtually dry, cept for a small stream cutting across the track just before turn 6 (left hander after the bridge). I have some videos up here (www.youtube.com/user/Nesba864) and I had the rear end come around on me first lap on Sunday and managed to save it, but it threw me for a loop! Finally, within about a session, it dried completely and was killer. We even ran till 6pm to negate the late start. All in all a great day.

EPN

Number864;75953 wrote: By 11:45ish it was virtually dry, cept for a small stream cutting across the track just before turn 6 (left hander after the bridge).
Not to argue with you, but I believe that's considered turn 7.
Even that area seemed to be pretty dry after an hour of track time.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Marcmcm;75931 wrote: Does NJMP have some sort of rule about not running while there is rain? I was all ready to go ride in the rain since it was only sprinkling in the morning. :dunno:
I don't know where you were pitted but we had a river running through our pit area. We even had some fun with a Gatorade bottle cap wathcing it float downstream. I had rains in the trailer, but didn't even bother to pull them out until they decided what they were going do. I skipped the first session. The next session there was still water running across the turn in point for turn 7. The back end slid out twice and then we got a red flag after 5-6 laps. The next session we got about 2-3 laps when Brian's bike caught fire after the bowl. The next session was delayed because of an oil spill after turn 5. Then around 4pm we went out again and the track was fine, just the dust after turn 5. I called it a day after that. I could have rode the last session, but I wasn't going to better my best time from Saturday, so I decided to head home. Only got about 20 laps all day.

It was nice to watch the advanced guys from the other side of the bowl. I had no idea that we were moving that quick through there. I don't get to watch the advanced group much, so it was interesting.

On another note, did anyone else get caught on the Deleware bridge when the really high winds and rain hit around 6:30? I was on the very top when it hit and it was shaking my truck and triler and felt like it was going to shove us off the bridge. It was crazy!

Fastguy

Ace,

Fortunely, I was past the Deleware bridge and was not yet at the Hatem bridge. With the hard rain and wind, I definitely had a 10 and 2 death grip on the wheel!

ScottLevy

Control Rider
EPN;76081 wrote: Not to argue with you, but I believe that's considered turn 7.
Even that area seemed to be pretty dry after an hour of track time.
You're right. Thanks for the correction!

NoBull

Thunderace;76119 wrote:
It was nice to watch the advanced guys from the other side of the bowl. I had no idea that we were moving that quick through there. I don't get to watch the advanced group much, so it was interesting.

On another note, did anyone else get caught on the Deleware bridge when the really high winds and rain hit around 6:30? I was on the very top when it hit and it was shaking my truck and triler and felt like it was going to shove us off the bridge. It was crazy!
Funny, I was at the top of that bridge at that exact time too. ;)

I agree it was eye opening watching the 5 A guys come through the bowl. They were moving. It doesn't feel that fast when you're in there but I guess we're rolling. You get a nice outside view from the access road of both the bowl and T1.

Marcmcm

Thunderace;76119 wrote: I don't know where you were pitted but we had a river running through our pit area. We even had some fun with a Gatorade bottle cap wathcing it float downstream. I had rains in the trailer, but didn't even bother to pull them out until they decided what they were going do. I skipped the first session. The next session there was still water running across the turn in point for turn 7. The back end slid out twice and then we got a red flag after 5-6 laps. The next session we got about 2-3 laps when Brian's bike caught fire after the bowl. The next session was delayed because of an oil spill after turn 5. Then around 4pm we went out again and the track was fine, just the dust after turn 5. I called it a day after that. I could have rode the last session, but I wasn't going to better my best time from Saturday, so I decided to head home. Only got about 20 laps all day.

I was pitted in the back of the paddock near the cart track. Last time I was at a rainy trackday NESBA told us "We run in the rain and always have" and it was raining a lot harder than it was on Sunday on a much worse track (Summit Point). Just wondered what made this track day different than that one.

Landshark

Control Rider
We did run but delayed the start until 11:30 (originally hoping for 11:00) in hopes we could fit lunch in and be done with the rain. With extending the day until 5:30 the plan was to only to miss 1/2 of an hour. 9-11=2-lunch=1-extension=1/2

Marcmcm

Landshark;76367 wrote: We did run but delayed the start until 11:30 (originally hoping for 11:00) in hopes we could fit lunch in and be done with the rain. With extending the day until 5:30 the plan was to only to miss 1/2 of an hour. 9-11=2-lunch=1-extension=1/2
I get that you cut out lunch and ran a little bit longer but my point was why didn't we start at 9am? Last time it rained an anyone made an issue of it we were told that NESBA runs in the rain, this time I came prepared to run in the rain and we didn't run in the rain. I'm back to being confused about the rain policy.

A59

Not that I was happy sitting and waiting, but there were enough issues all day even when conditions were better. Imagine how many more crashes there would have been if we would have ridden in the r@!^. I trust that Nesba had reasons unknownst to me. I still ended up having an EXCELLENT day (as far as riding). I usually expect more than I can deliver, but considering my first time at Lightning and first TD in 9 mo's., I couldn't have asked myself to do any better. ...that's rare!! On to the Beav!(2nd)
I didn't socialize much but it was good to see all that were there again.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Marcmcm;76370 wrote: I get that you cut out lunch and ran a little bit longer but my point was why didn't we start at 9am? Last time it rained an anyone made an issue of it we were told that NESBA runs in the rain, this time I came prepared to run in the rain and we didn't run in the rain. I'm back to being confused about the rain policy.
RollieManollie;76481 wrote:
Just another reason to get rid of the rain policy all together....:D
:rolleyes: