A noob's first track day experience. Summit 5/10

10:30 Saturday night.. I have everything packed up, ready to go.. Lunch's packed, with plenty of fluid and the cooler is ice cold.. I drink lots of water and am ready for bed. I hop in bed.............................................I toss and turn.. Thoughts running through my mind.. I look at the clock.. It is now 12.. I toss and turn some more.. Get up and pee about 15 gallons of water.... Its now 1.. Finally I fall asleep... 2:30 rolls around and I wake back up.. Cant get back to sleep and it is now 3am, and I finally doze off a little after.. Alarm goes off at 4.. I jump up, saying OH HELLZ YA! hop in the shower and off to the track..

I failed tech because the ball was missing off of my lever. I knew I wouldn’t pass tech with it last week, so I bought a new lever.. Problem was... the new lever was a piece.. So I had put the old one back on.. Well upon making my list of to do's, I mistakenly forgot to put a new lever on because I had "already bought one" silly me.

The tech's were extremely awesome. The one guy offered me one of his own to use for the day, but then pointed me over to Chris Moon who hooked me up with one for $15 bucks! So I was thinking... Damn now I’m going to miss the first session. Nope! They let me throw it on and ride up to the 1st session and join in. I ended up not going because I didn’t want to rush up there on my first time up, and wanted to take my time and get everything situated back at the trailer, etc.

SO! Now on to my thoughts and experience's.. The in classroom riders meet almost made me fall asleep.. Not because it was boring :asleep: lol, but because I got about 2hrs or less of sleep the night before.. lol. Then mid way through I hear A group start up and you can then begin to hear the "big boys" zip down the back straight... :wow:.. Now I’m going.. The butterflies are back and I’m ready to get jumping..

I go out to my first session (session 2) and line up in the right lane. I keep very chill through the first two session.. Building my brand new tires up and scuffing them in, learning the track, and just getting a feel for everything.. 3rd time out, (4th session) I started to kick it up a notch and romp on it a little.. 2 laps in we get red flagged and it was time for lunch..

After lunch I decided to go in lane 1 and was probably the 4th bike back.. Once I got up there and we hit turn 1.. I realized, Most of the guys around me had tire warmers and experience, lol. I came out of turn 2 and kind of eased thru 3 and 4 and let some people get a chance to get around me.. After the 5,6, and 7 I then started working my way back through them and getting up to pace.

on to session 5 and 6.. Wow, Lots of fun. I really started to get my personal comfort lines down and started to kick up to speed. A lot of people shook out for the last session which really opened the track and let me do my thing with an open track.

all in all.. Wow :wow: what fun..

Nesba did a great job putting the event together and running it fast and safe.. The CR's were always around and regulating and policing.. I saw a few shady moves from people, passing in a turn, or something and Cr's seemed like they were coming out of the wood's and getting them, lol. I felt pretty safe and comfortable the whole time thanks to them..

Last, I would really like to thank Ryan, MHR Speedy for "forcing" :p me to go, lol and also taking me and giving me points all through out the day. I would also like to thank The CR Dale for really helping me on the 6th session. After my 5th session I decided I wanted some more help and instruction on the track so I rode around until I found a CR and stopped and talked to them about key points. I basically told him that I knew I was coming into the corner's a little to hot and braking hard. People were telling me I would brake hard, Drop in and then take off like a bat out of hell.. He gave me some points and talked to me on it for about 10 minutes.. I was pretty content with just that.. Next thing you know in session 6, this little guy in his bright orange shirt, comes blazing by me on an R6 then slowed up and waved me by.. I realized it was him and passed.. He rode with me for about 3 laps switching front and back. I realized that he was kind of watching me and then he would pass me and help lead me into the corner to work on coming in quicker. I def. felt these 3 laps were a better learning experience then anything I had all day. So thank you Dale..

On a closing note, I would just like to say thank you to everyone that either helped me, talked to me, or gave me something to watch in between session's. Thank you to Nesba for handing me the needle. I would also like to thank you (Nesba) on behalf of capital one who could not make it here today, for my soon acquired credit card debt.

To anyone who lurks the forum's like me and is kind of on the fence like I was.. Strap up and do it.. No matter how slow, or fast you are.. Their is a place for you on the track. CR's will help you and make you faster. No doubt about it.

Landshark

Control Rider
Congrats on doing exactly what you should havedone, HAD FUN!. You took your time, you took advantage of others knowledge and most of all you took you and your equipment home happy! Thanks for coming out.

SHADER

My first this fri 5/15 !!

You think that was bad .i spent half the day yesterday putting the bike
on trailer ,figuring out how to strap it down then drove around with it
on the trailer just to be sure.checked the trailer tire pressure and lug nuts,
new trailer by the way.then unloaded the bike ,put all the gear on and ride
around with it to get the feel.finally came home taped all the lights ,
removed my plate.and at 10pm i couldn't sleep .is it friday yet?

SHADER;54228 wrote: You think that was bad .i spent half the day yesterday putting the bike
on trailer ,figuring out how to strap it down then drove around with it
on the trailer just to be sure.checked the trailer tire pressure and lug nuts,
new trailer by the way.then unloaded the bike ,put all the gear on and ride
around with it to get the feel.finally came home taped all the lights ,
removed my plate.and at 10pm i couldn't sleep .is it friday yet?
Your in for a long week, lol.. Youll have tons of fun..