A quick question..

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
We live in Ocean county..Brick to be more precise...and yes..i am scanning wera classifieds...these n2 classifieds..and craigs list...but honestly ....craigs list is absolutely frightening.

Mikey75702

Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, craigslist is definitely hit or miss... The track community is full of GREAT people, so if you find something you like on here, or on the wera classifieds, should be good. The other thing you could do is post up on the wera classifieds in the "Want to buy", also on here, if you know what you want.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Yeah, no good riding down your way, lol. At least I have Hunterdon and Sussex counties not far away. But nothing beats the track for sportbikes!

Pseudolus

May 31, 2012
Yeah, no good riding down your way, lol. At least I have Hunterdon and Sussex counties not far away. But nothing beats the track for sportbikes!

Holy sh@t this thread is AMAZING! Dad and his boy looking to do something fun. I'm inspired just reading this! Get on anything and come ride with us! I'm on a business trip, wishing I could see my boy tonight. To see raceless man and his son entering a life long addiction makes me feel less far away from my babies. :D

Come play with us at the next NJMP date!

Reactions: owenschristopherj

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
i hope to get this going soon..... I have a few chainsaws to juggle..but as soon as i get them in a good holding pattern we will be there..i will update this post as things progress...i look forward to meeting you all..also we were blown away with how friendly and helpful everyone here has been..i can't wait to get passed by each and every one of you....ha ha

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Jul 13, 2008
Asbury, NJ
Welcome aboard, guys... As a father who rides with one of his sons on the track, you're in for a great time!

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
Giant step in the right direction...for any science fans out there, my heart is beating at Planck time intervals...we took them to the local drag strip last night to just open them up a bit but they didn't tech...we didn't realize they needed chain guards...easy enough to manufacture i think..next step is gear acquisition..we both need the suit, boots, and back protector. I believe some of that gear is rentable but both of us being former Marines we prefer to be ready to go when we hit the ground. We are very excited and hope to get out there asap...see you all soon

Reactions: Pseudolus

Mikey75702

Jun 21, 2009
Awesome, congrats on a par of good looking bikes. Do yourself a favor and find a place that will let you try on quality gear before you buy, or hit up someone like Todd @ heroic for a custom suit (or just custom tailored). Sucks buying a suit you think will fit by measurements posted online, then find out something doesn't fit quite right.

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
certainly in the future i would love to get a high end suit like that..but right now we will have to make the best with an entry or mid level suit....then start saving for a heroic high end suit.

Mikey75702

Jun 21, 2009
Call him, he normally has a line on used stuff in good shape. And the one place you don't want to skimp is safety gear. I have always been told it is better to skip a weekend at the track and buy better quality stuff, than buy cheap and make it every day. A good quality helmet and leathers will keep you out of a lot of trouble should things go wrong. (you can also keep an eye on here and the wera classifieds for used gear as well.... I bought my current suit here, used from a CR that only wore it once for 50% of what he paid for it... There are some good deals if you look)

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
Getting closer.... Just about have enough for suit and boots so i think it is time to get a membership. I was trying to login to buy the membership but the page tells me it doesn't recognize my user name..is my username and login for the forums the one i need to use or do i need to make a new one for actually joining the organization ? I am trying hard to be at njmp on 7/7 and eagerly looking forward to actually meeting some of you..ty again for all your help everyone.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Jul 11, 2008
Forum is separate from registration system. If you have not done so, you'll need to create an account for the registration system.

slowohioboy

Jun 5, 2015
Sounds really cool that you and your son have gotten the bug, and decided to go try some racing. I was really lucky and got to race all through my childhood with my father and I traveling all over doing motocross as a kid. I transitioned into road racing after a few years off of a bike in 2002 on a 750, and the best advice I got was from fellow racers with CCS at that time to get a 600 for the next season. The benefit to the 600 is that you can race 2 solo's on Saturday and 6 sprints on Sunday if you want to........ And nothing will make you get better, sooner than lots of quality track time in a race setting (track days are great, but not the same). The down side to the 600 is that you are in the most competitive classes and at some events those classes can get a bit messy. Just check out the mylaps pages for the winning lap times at the tracks you want to race at, the 600 and 1k times are pretty close from the novice classes through the experts. Most of the people I have met at a racetrack have been very willing to help out and give advise when needed.

There has been some pretty good advise on this post. I will try to add a couple things.

First don't expect to see yourself drop times into front end race times at a trackday, most racers at trackdays will try to be quick, but not risk too much. (Regional Racers will drop anywhere from 3-5 seconds on a race weekend from a trackday pace depending on the track).

Second is to try and find something you can ride in the dirt. It is not the same as getting time on the road coarses but you will learn bike control through sliding in the dirt a bit and you don't need new tires each day, or to travel very far.

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
Great advice...its really awesome here and it pleases me greatly that everyone is so eager to help. That is a rare thing these days...if all goes well i may get a chance to meet some of you soon..if not on 7/7 then almost certainly before the end of the season. I just can't wait to get on a bike again..it has been far too long. Ty again

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
I had said that i would update this post as things progress so here we go..the gear quest is complete for now..will most likely get upgraded gloves in time.
Helmet....check. HJC Mamba
Suit..........check. RST Pro Series CPX-C
Gloves.....check. Scorpion Guardian
Boots.......check. Alpine*SMXplus vented
Back.........check. Alpine* nukleon ce2
My bike still needs tires and brake pads...will most likely get dunlops as that is what i used a hundred years ago. The brake pads i am unsure about...ferodo or ebc were the ticket when i was riding years ago... Taking suggestions on those...
Just joined N2 basic membership and as soon as i farm some more dollars i will sign up for NJMP on 9/7 i cant wait to meet and ride with you all...
My son...i am hoping will join me, but life is entangling him as it sometimes does..he will prevail though. Peace. More updates to follow..and thanks in advance for the brake pad suggestions...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I've been really happy with the Vesrah RJLs. They're the lesser expensive of the Vesrah line, but a lot of folks really like them. Kurveygirl.com has some of the best prices, and awesome customer service. I'll get a season out of a set, easily, usually more.

Can't go wrong with Dunlops, although I'm a Pirelli gal myself. :p Are you looking to get hypersport street tires, DOT race, slicks?

I just picked up a Nucleon KR1 this year...new offering, great reviews.

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
Does the Q3 series of tires come in DOT race ? Or are they all the same ? Who do you all use for tire vendors ?

Also been pre planning for 9/7...does NJMP allow people to get there the day before a track day and camp out over night ?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
No, the Q3 is a hypersport street tire. Doesn't need warmers, has excellent grip and long life. Many folks have used them up into A group. The Yamaha Champions Riding School uses them, that's where I have experience using them. Fast warm up.

Dunlop has DOT race tires, I think they're called 211? Not up on Dunlops

I get my tires at the track from Collin at Shagmoto. He'll mount /balance at the track. I think you have to remove the wheels and bring them over. Personally, I like to show up ready to ride.

You can camp at the track, there may be a fee, I'm not sure. They usually let us in around 6 pm the evening before. Gates close at 10.

Raceless man

May 12, 2015
Thank you HondaGalToo i appreciate the info.

-May the fountain of traction splash liberally upon you !