An interesting observation

avizpls

#11-A
xlink;140247 wrote: Yeah, I've been meaning to ask - what's with the "NESBA sucks" inside joke at the WERA board? Are they just tired of being beat by NESBA's :a: and :cr: stickers at the races, or what?
That cant be it. You cant even see them from behind.

rk97

xlink;140247 wrote: what's with the "NESBA sucks" inside joke at the WERA board?.
searching "nesba sucks" yields 193 results. How much time do you have?

I just consider it an eye roll at the people who hate NESBA so much they continue to ride with us so they can bitch, or those who have never ridden with us but are convinced NESBA is terrible.

...occasionally it also reminds me that bashing STT is hypocritical.

Ron P

This ain't rocket science. Yeah, I'm a "B" relative noob and done my share of screw-ups on the track, but when the directors tell you to seek them out if you're having trouble, THEY MEAN IT!

I was struggling at Summit in May and June and found Matt H in the pits during lunch on the June day. He followed me next session and worked with me for a few laps. Another control rider towed me for a few more laps and showed me a few other tricks. And Kubricky gave a class on body position to all the B riders during the lunch meeting. By the end of the day, I was feeling much better on the track.

Same thing July. A CR worked with me and debriefed me afterwards. And another one (don't know his user name here, but the name on his T Shirt was Fontrelli) came by after a session to let me know I had made a bad pass. I hadn't realized I'd done it, so he walked me through the scenario as he saw it and the lesson was learned.

I have no problems with NESBA.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
Wes_Siler;140085 wrote:
The second session out, no less than five other people crashed right in front of me and who knows how many more went out where I couldn't see.
You do realize that other people were there right? because that never happened.

Wes_Siler

Blue SV at 10 and another, orang-ish something. Black GSX-R at 1, a white bike and one other at 5/6. To be fair, the black GSX-R may have stayed upright. Was it the second or third session that we had to wait 10 minutes for a rollback to clear a red bike? What caused the 40 minute delay right before lunch?

What was the deal with the two bikes off between 7 and 8 around 3:30? That looked really nasty.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
The 40 minute delay was because the ambulance was transporting Finn ('A' rider who was unconscious on the front straight) to the hospital. Nobody's allowed on track with no ambulance present.

Oldmxer281

Control Rider
The only problem I saw with Saturday was the rollback. They were trying something new and oviously it just didn't work. After the second time out, Mike pretty much told the guy to go sit in the corner and got the old reliable truck and trailer out. Sunday worked better but it was a different guy on the rollback who was used to bikes. I was lined up behing the MV and VFR1200 on the first session out. Good to know they just made a mistake on which line to get in. Haven't tried any other orgs trackdays so I can't comment on them, but NESBA can't control how everyone rides, and I've seen days with no red flags and days with lots. But I have fun at every one of them!!!

Fastguy

If C/R staffing is a problem. I'm sure that some of the established :a: riders would not mind "given back" to the sport on a day by day basis to assist that day's director to provide a little tutoring as necessary to those Intro and B group riders that prefer to have a, lets call them a mentor for the day, on the track.

I really hope that the directors can begin to explore the benefits of having the "best beginner rider/mentoring program" (optional, to the individual B group rider that is) in the trackday business to grow and maintain our membership.

I also wouldn't mind rockin' a "Nesba Sucks" T-shirt. It still promotes the organization ;) [What is Nesba? Why does it suck?] It creates the conversation and thats what publicity is.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;140314 wrote: If C/R staffing is a problem. I'm sure that some of the established :a: riders would not mind "given back" to the sport on a day by day basis to assist that day's director to provide a little tutoring as necessary to those Intro and B group riders that prefer to have a, lets call them a mentor for the day, on the track.

I really hope that the directors can begin to explore the benefits of having the "best beginner rider/mentoring program" (optional, to the individual B group rider that is) in the trackday business to grow and maintain our membership.

I also wouldn't mind rockin' a "Nesba Sucks" T-shirt. It still promotes the organization ;) [What is Nesba? Why does it suck?] It creates the conversation and thats what publicity is.
Good ideas. Although I don't think NESBA should go the route of mandatory classroom for all the Beginners (like STT), I think some additional sit-down classroom style discussions for brand-new-never-been-on-a-track-before types would be a good addition. Perhaps additionally assigning established, willing A guys (and maybe even some fast I guys) as mentors for the day to the brand new first-time track riders would also be good.

Yank 521

Control Rider
one thing i know about people saying nesba sucks is because they can't just sign up for advanced group.
i was at the races 2 weeks ago and people were going to njmp to ride with another org. and i asked why. they told me that they are racers and don't wanna be in the I group. i told them that if they talked to a cr or 2 and told them their situation that i would be sure they would be more than happy to cut some laps with them and see if they were A material. there are rules and not everybody likes them. i also pointed out that how would they like it if they went out to ride race pace and had to deal with riders that are not capable of keeping their lines or being comfortable being passed. as i expected they both told me that they never looked at it that way. as of riding with other org's, i don't knock any of them. you have people out there trying their best to help people out with no pay using their own gas, tires and giving up their weekend time to come out and try to help somebody up their performance weather it be in b, or I. we even have A guys ask us for help. oh yea, i also had a cr ask me to help by towing him around. none of us are perfect at riding. if we was then we would be riding tracks rented privately by our race team and would not have any expenses.

litespeed

HondaGalToo;140328 wrote: Perhaps additionally assigning established, willing A guys (and maybe even some fast I guys) as mentors for the day to the brand new first-time track riders would also be good.
That being said, NESBA could also have some of the faster B guys act as mentors for the new to the track riders. Then those mentors would be there to show them the ropes, help them with what line to be in, What to expect, encourage them to talk to the CRs, etc. No, a B group rider won't be able to answer all their questions, but they certainly could help with the nuts and bolts of the schedule, etc. Heck...I'm not fast, but I am always happy to help people out and if I don't know the answer to something I will find someone to ask.

Lynda

Fastguy

HondaGalToo;140328 wrote: Good ideas. Although I don't think NESBA should go the route of mandatory classroom for all the Beginners (like STT), I think some additional sit-down classroom style discussions for brand-new-never-been-on-a-track-before types would be a good addition. Perhaps additionally assigning established, willing A guys (and maybe even some fast I guys) as mentors for the day to the brand new first-time track riders would also be good.
Not all beginners Judy, but to those who prefer to learn in a more structured environment.

We have to understand that not everyone is partial to the idea of just jumping in feet first to learn to ride on a track with an expensive ride and financing it.

This could be tauted as one of the benefits of riding with nesba and promote it! This promotion could attract new riders.

Wink

Just to address the issue of "having" to start in "I". For racers that think that they are "A" material, there will be two types. Experts - Show your Expert license, you get a welcome to "A" response. Amateurs/Novice/Provisional - Line up in front of "I" and follow the lead CR. if you are "A" material, you'll get bumped, if not, the CR will be more than happy to give you feedback on where you can improve.

If you are a racer NOT ready for "A", you now have the opportunity to improve and get feedback in the areas that will help make you FASTER and SAFER. Two ideal qualities that ANY racer could use more of.

Now, back to your regular scheduled thread...

Yank 521

Control Rider
thanks wink, i actually learned something today myself. i didn't know that if you had an expert race license you can go to A group.

fitz

HondaGalToo;140328 wrote: Good ideas. Although I don't think NESBA should go the route of mandatory classroom for all the Beginners (like STT).
I agree.

Unless it's a new track, everything I learn is from the CRs on the track. There is no progression with the meetings, just the same chapter (1) over and over. Although it is interesting how some of the B captains tell you two different things. CR "so where should you be going into 1?" fitz raises hand cause he was just told this yesterday "on the right" CR "no, actually you should be about in the middle".

fitz

Mikey75702

I agree with what some others have posted about the classroom time. I would like more optional learning. Like the body position seminars. That idea is awesome. Though some days though you just want to ride. You are running a new track for example, though it would be nice to have someone go over the lines after the first session or so, a body position seminar might make concentrating on learning the track alittle more difficult. Nesba does amazing, and I thoroughly enjoy running with you guys, so even if it stays as is, it is still more then enough for me.

Fastguy

I agree that the mandatory B group meetings should be made optional, especially if you have been to a certain minimum # of trackdays with Nesba.

Learning is a 2 way deal. Nesba is there to provide the amount of structure that the individual needs to excel at his own pace.

It is now up to the student/rider to indicate the level of structure that he needs to learn to ride on the track.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;140337 wrote: Not all beginners Judy, but to those who prefer to learn in a more structured environment.

We have to understand that not everyone is partial to the idea of just jumping in feet first to learn to ride on a track with an expensive ride and financing it.

This could be tauted as one of the benefits of riding with nesba and promote it! This promotion could attract new riders.
Agreed! I was agreeing with ya, not all beginners, just brand-new riders and any others that may want additional instruction! :) I took a Reg Pridmore CLASS as my very first track experience, as I wanted a bit more structure for the first track experience, so I definitely get that!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I don't care how much time you spend in a classroom, you will not become a better rider than actually riding the bike. There is nothing an organization can do to keep people upright. I've seen people crash doing 10 mph (Yes, I did!) in the pits. Shit happens and sometimes there are more crashes than usual, but other times, there are no red flags all day. If motorcycle track days are not for these guys, then stay with cars and leave room for other riders that want to attend these events.