An sleeping Engine :(

erick1670

Hey folks!
Just wanted to check your input on a subject...
The bike was pre for long storage (no fuel/water/coolant) just oil in the engine, but not turn on for 5 years.
Is there any problems with it after firing it after that much time off?

Thanks for any input!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
erick1670;283652 wrote: Hey folks!
Just wanted to check your input on a subject...
The bike was pre for long storage (no fuel/water/coolant) just oil in the engine, but not turn on for 5 years.
Is there any problems with it after firing it after that much time off?

Thanks for any input!
Your hoses and seals and everything that has to do with the liquid cooling system could be dry rotted from sitting dry.

erick1670

D-Zum;283653 wrote: Your hoses and seals and everything that has to do with the liquid cooling system could be dry rotted from sitting dry.
thank you for the quick post :D

that's refer to the outside, or the engine seals?

bike was store in a climate control room or garage...

Do you know if something like Stabil was added to fuel AND run into the motor before it was stored? "Stale" gas and "varnish" in the fuel system is very likely if not. There are chemicals like Seafoam, BG 44k, Chemtool B-12 etc you can add to your gasoline to help clear up fuel problems.

definitely drain and replace the brake fluid.

D-Zum

erick1670;283654 wrote: thank you for the quick post :D

that's refer to the outside, or the engine seals?

bike was store in a climate control room or garage...
Everything..climate control doesn't really mean all THAT much...without water in the system things still dry out, and that's kind of a long time to sit empty and dry like that. But fill it up, start it up and see what happens. It's just a possibility in this brain-storming exercise.

andykurz

Add fresh oil, gas, coolant and run it. You will soon find out what is wrong, maybe a lot, maybe nothing.

damiankelly

A thought...
The exhaust valve that was open to the pipe may have some corrosion and in that cylinder.. Maybe pull the plugs and see if anything is evident. I have seen a barn find 1932 Indian fire up with minimal work!

erick1670

thanks for all the replies...

I am asking all this, because I am interested in a race prep bike that it was put in storage soon after the build up in 09.
the bike looks new from the pics, I would like to see it but I cant go and see it b/c is in AZ.

I ask the owner if its was running, but said that is in hibernation :dunno:

looks like I'll have to pass on this :argh:

bluers

If the price is right it might be worth the gamble. Five years is a long time, but properly stored it should be fine.

erick1670

it's a Erion racing build 600RR 08 for 13K...

the engine has an power up kit + many other goodies...

the gamble is too great to see if the engine would be ok :dunno:

andykurz

Just my opinion, but I agree with your decision.

13K for any 08 600 with "doubts" is the stuff of crack pipes.

D-Zum

Yeah..that's a STEEEP price for an 08 that's been sitting THAT long empty/dry.

erick1670

Rmcaninch600;283963 wrote: 13K is crazy even if it was perfect
If you see what it has, you would not think so...

Erion racing engine power up kit
Full titanium Erion Arata exhaust
Maschenni wheels
Ohlins fork carts
Ohlins TTX shock
Power Commander V
Power Commander SMF
Dynoje quickshifter
Brembo Monoblock
Brembo rotors
SS lines
Sato rear sets
Shark skins bodywork
Brand new Dunlop GPA's
and some more other stuff, all brand new :dunno:

the bike looks great.... but that idle engine :notsure:

matt2212

erick1670;283989 wrote: If you see what it has, you would not think so...

Maschenni wheels
Ohlins fork carts
Ohlins TTX shock
Power Commander V
Power Commander SMF
Dynoje quickshifter
Brembo Monoblock
Brembo rotors
SS lines
Sato rear sets
Shark skins bodywork
Brand new Dunlop GPA's

So my .02

From what I understand you could buy an AMA super sport bike 2010 or newer with a refreshed motor/suspension for a similar price maybe a bit more but not much....

If I where to buy this bike a price even close to that then I would expect a refreshed motor from a reputable motor builder and the suspension to be refreshed/sprung for me.

Everything being "fresh" is common with super premium race bikes and at that price you should expect no less....

erick1670

matt2212;284015 wrote: So my .02

From what I understand you could buy an AMA super sport bike 2010 or newer with a refreshed motor/suspension for a similar price maybe a bit more but not much....

If I where to buy this bike a price even close to that then I would expect a refreshed motor from a reputable motor builder and the suspension to be refreshed/sprung for me.

Everything being "fresh" is common with super premium race bikes and at that price you should expect no less....
I greed, that's why I am passing on this :argh:

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
erick1670;283989 wrote: If you see what it has, you would not think so...

Maschenni wheels
Ohlins fork carts
Ohlins TTX shock
Power Commander V
Power Commander SMF
Dynoje quickshifter
Brembo Monoblock
Brembo rotors
SS lines
Sato rear sets
Shark skins bodywork
Brand new Dunlop GPA's

and if it was a 2011+ and perfect/fresh i could see some where around 13k, but for an 08 no way. don't take me the wrong way man i am not saying your crazy for looking at the bike. just that who ever is selling it is crazy if they think thats a fair price.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Try this...Offer them a price with the cost/labor of getting a fresh rebuilt motor installed ~ deduct that from the total. If the number doesn't sound good to you, walk away.

erick1670

vinny337;284073 wrote: Try this...Offer them a price with the cost/labor of getting a fresh rebuilt motor installed ~ deduct that from the total. If the number doesn't sound good to you, walk away.
I am walking.... the bike is basically new, aside from having hibernating engine for 4 years... I dought that he would take 10K for that...

how much is a engine refresh anyway?

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
erick1670;284081 wrote: I am walking.... the bike is basically new, aside from having hibernating engine for 4 years... I dought that he would take 10K for that...

how much is a engine refresh anyway?
Roughly $2,000 to $3,00 also depends on the work you have done...