Anyone use a van for bike transport?

Swodi

"Van" is too short a word to search, so I apologize if this has been covered.
Is anyone using a van for bike transport, specifically transporting the bike IN the van? My wife has [foolishly] given me the go ahead to get a motovan. For various reasons, I'm looking at conversion vans and I'm trying to figure out if a bike will fit in the back with one of the rear captain chairs still in place. Google isn't too much help in answering this question for me. ;)

Psychoholic

I have considered it as well but kind of got sidetracked with the thought after some creative googling. A Sprinter type van or one of those box type vans is probably a better choice given the extra headroom that you'll have. Personally I'd love a small(ish) class b motorhome and just put the bikes on a trailer.

If I could afford it right now... http://outlawrv.com/class-c/floorplans.php?model=29H

Swodi

My wife has an Odyssey, but she doesn't want it get rid of it, get herself a new SUV, and let me have the minivan, which is what I really want to do. So instead, I think I'll just get my OWN Odyssey. ;p

I could definitely live with the mileage of a minivan over a conversion. Still able to sleep in it. I'll just need to add a transmission cooler and some helper airbags to the rear suspension.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I used my sprinter a few times to go to the track and it worked well. It was just a pain to switch it back and forth from work van to track hauler. If I could have just made it a single purpose vehicle it would have been great.

Last edited:

crash675

My buddy has a van he uses. He has put 2 bikes and gear but is back to one bike. Seems to work pretty well.

opinion914

I use a VW Eurovan. It offers a lot of space in a small package. Fits 2 bikes, or one and all the track gear, and it fits in my garage. There area few good ones out there. Some, not so good. Watch for tranny issues if going the Eurovan route.

Swodi

Thanks, all. I've decided to hold off on the van for now. I just don't think I can live with one as a daily driver. ;)

Now all I need is to see if I can make airbags work with the rear suspension.