Back Protection Pros/Cons

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Since my crash approval is at 40%, figured I might need some more gear. Any Pros/Cons on the different back protectors out there?

DFlowe

Mine is a Bohn and is comfortable, easy for me to put on and seems to have good protection. I'm not sure of my model; but I would recommend the Bohn brand.

tapcon

I got a Knox contour. Very comfortable under the suit. Probably the greatest feature of this back protector is that it covers more of your back area without feeling over cumbersome.

knoxcontour500.jpg

Perlzuki

Jon, I just got a new one for 09. Have a bohn & joe rocket as spares. I'm in Mechanicsville & have lots of time as I am healing up. You can come by & try them to see if they fit. Price will be real good! Give me a call on my cell 310-3081.

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000

snikwad

somethingi like about my knox, that most people neglect, make it long enough to cover your tail bone, because i heard its not cool when you break that one, and make it wide enough to cover some kidney area and maybe a little bit of pelvis.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protector/knox-back-protector.htm

also, my ricochet, has a honeycomb gel thingy which recovers from the hits, the dainese and the alpinestars ive seen, have a compresable, non recovering type material. so once they get a hard impact, that particular spot is done and vulnerable. unlike my gel technoogy in my ricochet.

Burnall4

1.jpg

Forcefield Body Armor

By far the best backprotector on the market. It is only sold through one retailer here in the states and is worth the $189. It has hte gell honey comb construction but it is light, and thin, and has the highest impact rating on the market.

Its what I have and I can never tell when I have it on!

I really don't like the plastic backprotectors like A*. I was watching Faster or The Doctor/Tornado/Kid etc...and I think it was Schwanz or Rainey that first invented the back protector with left over visors, thought it was pretty cool.

Lemon, you can try mine on as well, cell is 363-9711 so you can get at least three different options.

I am very happy with mine, and I will tell you I did a lot of research because technically I still have a broken back...pssst but don't tell my doctors what I do for fun ;)

PGood

^ This one is also sold branded as Joe Rocket and can more readily found. It is very comfortable and lightweight. IT is also rated a Level 2 protection which most protectors are not.

'm in Mechanicsville & have lots of time as I am healing up. You can come by & try them to see if they fit. Price will be real good!
Grew up in the Ville. In Studley.:cheers:

Burnall4

PGood;33703 wrote: ^ This one is also sold branded as Joe Rocket and can more readily found. It is very comfortable and lightweight. IT is also rated a Level 2 protection which most protectors are not.
^ forgot to mention that , there are some differences in the Forcefield, big one, it is longer on the tail bone with an added area of honey comb

Here is the Joe Rocket

dc2e227478dd40c6f932d3a40a3ad8c9_rough.jpg

beac83

I have a T-Pro Forcefield back insert in my suit. Provided good protection when I needed it last July. I highly recommend them. I was also wearing their armor shorts under the suit, and my back and the areas protected with that armor were not even sore after my get-off.

This year I'm upgrading the rest of the suit's armor to T-Pro as well.

T-Pro Forcefield's primary source in the United States is Johnson Leather Co in San Francisco. Great phone/mail order/web order service.

hank

Another vote for the T-Pro Forcefield...

One niggle though - other brands (e.g., Bohn) cover more across the very top by the shoulders where the T-Pro actually gets narrower.

I would prefer the T-Pro cover more in that one area, both for crash protection and also since sometimes I find it a bit uncomfortable where my shoulder blades rub the edge...

YMMV

JonGu

+1 for T-Pro or Joe Rocket brand T-Pro back protectors. Landed flat on my back from a 7 or 8 foot fall (pic link in my profile if anyone hasn't seen it yet) and didn't receive even a minor injury to my back. My hips on the other hand took a beating. Plus it is reasonably comfortable to wear.

LMsports

Alpinestars Bionic back protectors carry the highest CE rating that can be currently had. I'm very happy with mine and the price is right.

Meat

I use the Dainese Wave 13 (11, 12, 13, 14 are different lengths) because it is extremely well ventilated with an aluminum honeycomb core which makes it very light with excellent ventilation. Ventilation is important because inside the aero hump on my suit are channels to deflect air towards the back protector.

Pipeline714

I use the Knox Ricochet, and after a nasty high side at Barber in which i was launched off of the bike and the first thing i landed on was my tailbone, I wouldn't ride without one! I spent 5 hours at UAB Hospital, had 19 x-rays, a CT Scan, 2 nice doses of Morphine, and I walked out of the hospital, very gingerly I might add, with only the tip of my tailbone broken. I can see on the back protector the impact, even through my leathers, that the Knox took! If i hadn't had it on, I am scared to think of what might have happend. So I would recommend the Knox, but definitly I would recommend ANY back protector, or don't ride.:cool:

Spyda

I've been through several (Dainese, Bohn, BMW Back Protector 2) and my current one is the Knox Contour which is the best so far for me. I never had to test the protection capabilities of any of these, but in terms of the "usability" the Contour is an A+. The main reason is that it does not ride up and hit the back of my helmet like all of the other ones did. Never tried the TPro.

PatrickMitchell

+1 for Knox.

I "tested" mine at Summit Main (remember the loose oil drain plug day?). I walked away with zero injuries, and this included a hard bump across the curbing.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I have a knox ricochet. Haven't "tested" it yet but it holds my gut above my gas tank quite well. :) I would buy another one if I had to.

Rick Johnson

+1 for the Alpinestars.It has worked great for me.They offer some top notch gear.IMO Definetly get one though.Well worth the money.They also have the back and chest combo if you want both.