Back Protection Pros/Cons

Lars

+1 for Alpinestars as well
I am going with the A* Bionic West for this year:
ALPBIONIC2SS.jpg

Yhe nice thing is that it also add the chest protection.

I tested Alpinestars backprotector as the one in the west just the stand alone version.

Cu,
Lars

Andymax

another vote for the Forcefield...I love mine. It conforms to the body and fits GREAT. Also, level CE which is huge. and Johnson Leather is a really great company to deal with.

Andymax

another vote for the Forcefield...I love mine. It conforms to the body and fits GREAT. Also, level-2 CE which is huge. and Johnson Leather is a really great company to deal with.

jas0336

I'm looking at the Knox myself. If I had the money though, I think I'd go with Dainese wave neck. It is a jacket type and has elbows, shoulders, upper arms, back, chest, neck and it looks like it covers the colar bone which is EXTREMELY easy to break. It's over $400 so a bit pricey. It looks like it would move well and seems ventilated but no stores I've seen carry them in stock. I don't feel like ordering just to try it on.

Meat

jas0336;34328 wrote: I'm looking at the Knox myself. If I had the money though, I think I'd go with Dainese wave neck. It is a jacket type and has elbows, shoulders, upper arms, back, chest, neck and it looks like it covers the colar bone which is EXTREMELY easy to break. It's over $400 so a bit pricey. It looks like it would move well and seems ventilated but no stores I've seen carry them in stock. I don't feel like ordering just to try it on.
I think it looks like it has great protection but it looks like the neck protector would make hanging off, with your upper body low, and looking through the turn nearly impossible because it appears that the neck protector would hit your helmet.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
jas0336;34328 wrote: it looks like it covers the colar bone which is EXTREMELY easy to break. .

true...the collar bone is easily broken....HOWEVER, not due to crush injuries, which is what a padded protector is meant to block....since the clavicle is the only boney attachment of the arm to the body, it is typically broken through shear forces placed on it by the scapula (shoulder blade) such as a quick downward motion of the shoulder, over flexion or elevation of the arm or a quick/sudden retraction of the scapula

Anyways, went with the T-pro, both chest and back

Drtbkrdude

Forcefield $139.99

Thought I'd let anyone know that the Forcefield T-ProL2 Armor can be had for $139.99 at MotoNeko in Owings, MD. 800-605-1210.
Free Shipping!
Tell him you are with NESBA. If that doesn't work, tell him you got the Co. name from the guy that bought it from him instead of the Dealer in CA.
He told me that price is good for anyone that I pass this on to.
Brad
I-57

gammagoblin

Lars;33947 wrote: +1 for Alpinestars as well
I am going with the A* Bionic West for this year:
Yhe nice thing is that it also add the chest protection.

I tested Alpinestars backprotector as the one in the west just the stand alone version.

Cu,
Lars
I have that one and really like it. Mine doesn't have the shoulders though, which is nice because my leathers have good shoulder armor already.

Quickone4u

Just what I've been looking for lately. I don't have a "true" back protector in my jacket or my suit and would really like to get a nice one for my upcoming track days. These are exactly the kind of reviews and info I was looking for. I'm currently looking at one of A*s protectors or a forcefield. We'll see!

gkotlin

I've been using the Bohn back protector. I'm going to give the Forcefield a try this season. Well hopefully not literally, but I will be wearing one.

Drewbie

LMsports;33743 wrote: Alpinestars Bionic back protectors carry the highest CE rating that can be currently had. I'm very happy with mine and the price is right.
+1.. tested mine several times last year and it held up great and did its job perfectly. I highly recommend!

Katie785

+2! I have the bionic with the chest protector built in.. after breaking 3-4 ribs last year in a wreck with a teknic back protector, I learned that great protection can really help !!

... and 5:44AM.... I'm going to skin that cat!!(if he wasnt so darn cute)