back protector vs air bag system

Laszlo

Ha! Well, that’s Metaphor 1 and Me 0 :) I think it’s a hard instinct to let go of something instead of holding on firmer…

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
I just purchased the RST with the in& motion airbag for coaching. Hasn't arrived yet but will let you know what I think.

You should have a back protector at bare minimum.

corey4

again, very good points made by everyone and i appreciate it. rehh, thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience.

im assuming i need one with suspenders and a belt. i took a look at my suit, and there doesn't appear to be a pocket for me to just slip in an insert. links:

Rehh

I have the astar track vest with the upgraded chest protection, I like it and will be wearing it next weekend at road Atlanta instead of techair race because of temps in 90s

corey4

this thing?

Laszlo

I have one with the belt only which I think is also a kidney belt[?] and did the tail bone Velcro protector add on.

mdhokie

I got the tech air race when I started racing. I hoped never to use it, but I just got it recharged a second time after the 4th deployment. In two crashes, the air bag deployed optimally and I walked away with nothing but bruises despite some flying and moderately hard impacts. The other two times I'm not sure whether it deployed before or after initial impact and I did suffer some injuries (ribs once, collarbone the other time). Even if it's not perfect, I feel safer with the airbag than with just the back protector and definitely no worse off, so I consider it worthwhile.