Bad CCS weekend for some Nesbians...

NickMcCoy

steve p;203950 wrote:
I just don't get why people have to come on the boards and shake their finger at people. What happened to the old days of face to face resolutions. I'm glad the video isn't working because next we would have 10 pages of different opinions about the video. I've been on both ends of the same situation, it sucks, but that's a risk that goes with the sport we all love. Nothing is gained from rubbing peoples noses in it. Like I said, sooner or later it will happen to you too. Again, glad you two are both ok.
I expected him to talk to me at the track but it didn't happen, I assumed that was because he was injured, I'm not trying to point fingers, just giving my perspective.

sobottka;203957 wrote: fwiw- im good friends with ed and have no beef with nick.
since were pointing fingers, i did not see anything but i talked with a couple corner workers who saw the incident as well a 2 racers not involed in this who said YOU were riding eratic. i think the conversation with the riders went like this. rob- "i think it was nick mccoy, red and black gsxr, did you see him?" other racer-"oh yeah that guy was all over the place." being predictable is key to saftey and it sounds like that may be a lesson you need to learn
I've been racing since 2005, ran up front for 10 weekends as am in '09, and have been control riding and instructing for 3 years and I've never heard that before. I'm not saying it isn't true and I will definitely pay attention to it next time, I'm just shocked to hear that. For what it's worth, in 15+ race weekends and countless trackdays I've never been taken out or vice versa. I do know that I was having a shitty race, my first race I was only two seconds off the winning expert time in the damp and had no trouble running with the mid-pack guys, for some reason I was way off the pace in the next one and I take the blame for that.

ERB68;203969 wrote:
I appreciate your position and perspective. I did make a mistake but it was a small one I could have corrected in the corner if you had held your line. I was in a little hot and deep and I was going to trail brake around the out side of you. You were entering the corner kinda shallow but at the last second you moved left in front of me. I was setting you up to pass on the outside. I tried to brake a little harder to avoid contact, no joy.

Again I feel bad for the contact. This is the culmination of bad things I was a little off, you felt you needed to adjust you entry that late. Traffic played a part in this too. You prolly didn't see/know there was at least 3 other bikes coming in with me.

One of the track people I spoke with felt you cut me off.

Anyway, Racing accident and I'm sorry for the contact. Like said it was a lot of little factors.
It's over with and since there is no way of proving who did what without the video there is no reason to argue about it (Edit- not that you're trying to, just saying that we've pretty much covered it at this point). My point wasn't to accuse you, just to say that we need to think about the risk and reward at this level. As I said above, I raced a shitload of amateur races two years ago, I had 37 top threes and a few wins, but I never took unnecessary risks because I knew it was club racing and we all had to work on Monday. But if you feel like you didn't take a big risk and that I entered your line then I can see where you're coming from.

Zippy;204059 wrote:
No one said anything in a harsh way, it's just more of a discussion of how it happened and why that than any strong accusations. I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about it afterward. We all learn a bit from it. It makes us think. Bring it out of the closet, as long as you keep a civil head about it, I say. People will make mistakes, and sometimes a small one is enough to make things go very wrong. It can happen to any of us, and I know that we all hope it never does.

I'm glad you guys are both going to be OK. I hope the wallets are going to be OK too!
Agreed.

ronhix

Zippy;204059 wrote: No one said anything in a harsh way, it's just more of a discussion of how it happened and why that than any strong accusations. I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about it afterward. We all learn a bit from it. It makes us think. Bring it out of the closet, as long as you keep a civil head about it, I say. People will make mistakes, and sometimes a small one is enough to make things go very wrong. It can happen to any of us, and I know that we all hope it never does.

I'm glad you guys are both going to be OK. I hope the wallets are going to be OK too!
Agreed. Glad to see it is being discussed in a civil manner and the discussion can help others avoid similar issues - PERFECT!

I wasn't there so I'm gonna reserve my opinion on the incident, other than this:

It wasn't a trackday, racing is dangerous.

I've been taken out when it was totally not my fault several times. Sometimes, I was just checking up too hard in the corner and sometimes the other racer was just being overly agressive.

Then again, there have been times where I have totally ran into racers when trying to make that inside pass on the brakes. It happens, not often but it does happen. In racing, the most dangerous thing is to be indecisive. You have to make the decision to make that pass and then go for it unreservedly. But sometimes after it is too late to back out you realize that you shouldn't have tried to make that pass.

I've been wrong and I've been wronged. I say all this only to qualify the following opinion:

If your wrong, be gracious and go to the person face to face if possible and sincerely apologize.

If you have been wronged, be gracious to the offender (whether they apologize or not) because it is only a matter of time until you are the one doing the offending. :)

ZeroBahamutxRR

ronhix;204074 wrote:

If your wrong, be gracious and go to the person face to face if possible and sincerely apologize.

If you have been wronged, be gracious to the offender (whether they apologize or not) because it is only a matter of time until you are the one doing the offending. :)
:agree:

gkotlin

Andrei;204036 wrote: The risk perseption is very different when the track is 100s miles away from home, you rode it a handfull of times and had no real practice the day of the event .... just saying. These guys and gals are clearly at disatavantage relative to us who ride there a lot. So , please, do not jump on the guy with this erratic riding argument bs.... You should have seen how Travis rode that weekend ... geez .... you'd better stay clear.
I don't agree with that statement. The number of laps at a track has nothing to do with rider consistency. If I go to a new track, I don't try to ride at race pace being erratic or inconsistent. The first thing you do at a new track is figure out your line and where you're apex's are. Brake markers, other markers, etc. Then you add pace with time.

If you're missing apex's, brake markers and making mistakes or are erratic and changing your line because of your own mistake, this is a sign that you're riding over your head. It doesn't matter if you're new to the track or have 1000 laps there.

At a new track, I might be off pace, but I'm not erratic and no one else should be either. But again, how do you know all this stuff? You don't just read a book and show up. You go out, do your best, push the envelope and make mistakes. You try one thing, then another. One works better, you use it and grow from there. The other thing is everything changes with pace. Markers, bike setup, the way you ride changes per track, and is based on many many factors. Growing and adjusting to those ever changing differences is the great challenge of this sport.

I hope no one is taking this thread personal. I think it's a good look at the different perspectives we all have on the same topic.

ERB68

NickMcCoy
I expected him to talk to me at the track but it didn't happen, I assumed that was because he was injured, I'm not trying to point fingers, just giving my perspective.
I would have come to talk with you at the track but they made me go get checked out at the hospital.

Be well Nick.

Ed

Hitman954

gkotlin;204087 wrote: I hope no one is taking this thread personal. I think it's a good look at the different perspectives we all have on the same topic.
:agree: This is how things get discussed. This is a constructive conversation and I'm enjoying it. Really shedding some lights on things.

ronhix

Hitman954;204094 wrote: :agree: This is how things get discussed. This is a constructive conversation and I'm enjoying it. Really shedding some lights on things.
Speak of punting people off the track and Brent shows up. :D

Sorry again for punting you in Turn 4, totally my bad. :p

sobottka

NickMcCoy;204070 wrote: I've been racing since 2005, ran up front for 10 weekends as am in '09, and have been control riding and instructing for 3 years and I've never heard that before. I'm not saying it isn't true and I will definitely pay attention to it next time, I'm just shocked to hear that. For what it's worth, in 15+ race weekends and countless trackdays I've never been taken out or vice versa. I do know that I was having a shitty race, my first race I was only two seconds off the winning expert time in the damp and had no trouble running with the mid-pack guys, for some reason I was way off the pace in the next one and I take the blame for that.
i know you've been around for a while and we've always been cool with each other. i would have stayed out of this totally but when i heard from the corner workers what i heard and others racing you comfirmed it and with you sounding a little condesending by saying "i hope you learned a lesson..." i could not resist. no hard feelings, i thought this is what the interweb was for? :dunno:
i do tend to agree with andrei and jigs about the lack of practice and the out of area guys being at a disadvantage. imho this had a lot to do with many of the crashes, maybe yours ...maybe not.

Germany

Can we get back to the real topic of the weekend?

a) black wrist bands...

b) the racing was pretty good, for the first time you could not pin point the top three Experts in every MW, HW, UNL race..

c) Thanks NESBA for the airfence...

NickMcCoy

sobottka;204102 wrote: i know you've been around for a while and we've always been cool with each other. i would have stayed out of this totally but when i heard from the corner workers what i heard and others racing you comfirmed it and with you sounding a little condesending by saying "i hope you learned a lesson..." i could not resist. no hard feelings, i thought this is what the interweb was for? :dunno: t.
Absolutely, I respect your opinion and have no problem with what you said, I would rather hear it than not. Whether or not I took a bad line into one is questionable but I honestly don't feel like I was riding erratically, the bike was pushing hardcore on exit so my drives sucked but it's not like I was blowing entries or missing apexes. It's all good though, I never have a problem with a better rider giving feedback, just gives me more to work on in the future.

scrub

Control Rider
Germany;204106 wrote: Can we get back to the real topic of the weekend?

a) black wrist bands...

b) the racing was pretty good, for the first time you could not pin point the top three Experts in every MW, HW, UNL race..

Good idea Germany. Wish I could have been fortunate enough to test some of that air fence but I missed. Ended up with 4 busted ribs and a bruised lung. Bikes probably too far gone to fix. Oil on the track sucks. Not complaining though, just happy it wasn't worse. I've got a lot of friends and a wonderful fiance to be thankful for.

Squegee

NickMcCoy;203941 wrote: No offense, and I know shit happens in racing, but I hope you learned something from that crash. It would be one thing if it was a "racing incident", but that was reckless riding that risked the safety of both of us, not to mention costing us money and ending our weekend early. Considering that you still had 4 laps to battle it out with Charlie and a couple other guys and that first place was long gone, even if that move could have worked it would have been completely unnecessary. Again, not trying to be a dick, just saying that it's club racing and we should think about the risk and reward before divebombing riders at that speed.

Edit- By the way, I'm judging based upon what other riders and friends watching in turn one saw. If you have a different opinion of what happened I would be interested to hear it, or see the video if there is any way to get it. I obviously didn't see it so I could be wrong, I just went to turn in and felt a heavy impact and then was on the ground.
Ahhh Bitch McCoy. Welcome back to talking shit on the boards since that is clearly all your good for rather than saying something to someones face.

NickMcCoy

Did you miss the part where he said he was at the hospital? If you hadn't noticed, the adults had a civil discussion and there were no hard feelings, unless you saw the incident and had an opinion why are you talking?

Also, you don't know me so you also don't know if I only confront people on the Internet. The only thing I know about you is that you forgot to put your bike in gear and risked me and 20 other guys and then said "it's racing, shit happens" afterward. I called you out then because you took no responsibility for your dumb mistake, that makes me a bitch? I probably should have pmed Edward or taken a different tone but I wasnt bitching, just saying I thought he took too big of a risk. On second thought I don't even know why I'm defending myself to you, if you have a problem find me at the track and cry about it then.

j_fuggin_t

a) black wrist bands...

c) Thanks NESBA for the airfence...Amen to that!! They do make a function called private message on these things, that would have been the best method. This was intended to wish well and maybe bring a spirit up from a fucked event w some of the regular faces we see every event, not a finger pointing session.

scrub;204175 wrote:
Good idea Germany. Wish I could have been fortunate enough to test some of that air fence but I missed. Ended up with 4 busted ribs and a bruised lung. Bikes probably too far gone to fix. Oil on the track sucks. Not complaining though, just happy it wasn't worse. I've got a lot of friends and a wonderful fiance to be thankful for.
That you do and lucky for you I know a guy with some key honda parts you may need call me when you're ready and if I have it its yours cheap bud, I learned a yr ago that we all help each other and I remember you lending me a part that would have ended my weekend. Let me know if I can help.

Germany

scrub;204175 wrote: Good idea Germany. Wish I could have been fortunate enough to test some of that air fence but I missed. Ended up with 4 busted ribs and a bruised lung. Bikes probably too far gone to fix. Oil on the track sucks. Not complaining though, just happy it wasn't worse. I've got a lot of friends and a wonderful fiance to be thankful for.
I guess there need to be more airfences! I hope you heal up soon! I was helping load and unload your bike from the crash-truck, it looked pretty wild. I hope to see you soon!

j_fuggin_t

Germany;204188 wrote: I guess there need to be more airfences! I hope you heal up soon! I was helping load and unload your bike from the crash-truck, it looked pretty wild. I hope to see you soon!
i'm gonna do a screen shot and post that conversation at the chili cook-off, after laborday we WILL be able to get some more out there & obviously its needed

PatFitz9

a) black wrist bands...

So Germany, what happened with the wrist bands?

gkotlin

Germany;204188 wrote: I guess there need to be more airfences! I hope you heal up soon! I was helping load and unload your bike from the crash-truck, it looked pretty wild. I hope to see you soon!
It may not be that. Air fence absorbs one impact. Then it has to regain it's shape.
The other is that sometimes it moves on impact. So the first person or bike hits them and then another gets displaced.

Hitman954

ronhix;204101 wrote: Speak of punting people off the track and Brent shows up. :D

Sorry again for punting you in Turn 4, totally my bad. :p
Ha ha ha ha too funny! So I looked at my video from that crash and you can see me lean into the turn then I pause for a second and continue through the turn but that brief pause was enough. I missed my apex and ended up focusing on the grass. Oh well good times lol :D no hard feelings dude! stuffing happens