Bazzaz TC or GPS-R lap timer??

RyanITV

Admin
I had the TC on the 750 I used as a backup bike last year - I won't spend the money on it again. The GPS-R, I swear by - it was the single most important factor in my progression last year from back-of-the-pack A group rider to the slow guy in the fast pack.

I've got TC on my 1098R (factory setup) and it's a much more advanced setup than the Bazzaz unit. Even then, I have it turned down so far that it rarely kicks in unless my tire is shit. Last weekend at NJMP, I was out for a session tailing a couple of faster guys and was getting on the gas really hard in a couple of spots (thinking I was using the TC) to catch up... I heard non of the "popping" associated with the system kicking in. Coming out of the carousel, I just pinned it while leaned over to try to outdrive them and the bike almost spit me off - turns out the TC system was shut off.

The lesson learned is that a) you have more grip than you think and b) relying on it can get your ass in trouble.

Ryan

Mike Moore

Emerson;49307 wrote: http://www.xtracing.com/en/gpxpro/features.php

So I did some searching and found this, seems like it has some nice features and hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Athon. Only concern is glitches that come with a new product.
I love my Athon R. Well worth the investment. That said, the guys at XT are really good and their customer support is spot on. Probably will have some learning curve with a new product, but I'm confident that XT will stand behind their product. Love to see competition on these types of products. Another thing to compare is the software product that comes with the product.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
nice find emerson!!! looks like it has very similar functionality as the GPS-R. One upgrade is the gear indicator, which I did not see on the GPS-R and it connects via USB rather than Bluetooth.

Looks like the software is definitely comparable

GixxerPilot

Traqmaterental....

Hey all, in addition to being able to try out a traqmate at the track if you purchase from me I will refund your intitial rental cost.

I will be at Road America May 4 & 5 with several units available.

lemondrop

what is involved in the units?? i tried to decifer from the website...but they only had car stuff there...and it was 3 fairly sizable components just for the GPS!!!

happen to have pictures of the components and mounting info??

GixxerPilot

Traqmate size.....

Traqmate basic is what we want for motorcycles. The display unit is bulky and not suited to motorcycles.

The Basic Sensor unit is shown here:
SUFrontBig.jpg

The Traqmate is a vehicle data acquisition device that uses a high-speed GPS receiver and high resolution accelerometers to track and record the speed of a vehicle, its absolute location, and forces acting on the vehicle.

Once you ride a session you can upload the data to your laptop and analyze it using the Traqview software. Traqview analysis program uses advanced mathematical algorithms to translate this data into visual form where it is easy to spot differences between drivers, vehicles, and sessions.

Anyone interested in some recent data from Ron Hix at Blackhawk drop me a line and I will send you a link to the Traqview software and several of Ron's data files. I am also redesigning my web site to include data from several tracks so you will be able to see what other riders are doing.

Working with Ron and Brian at Blackhawk last weekend we realized it is easiest to mount the unit to the tail of the bike with velcro and then secure everything in place with Gorilla Tape. While not the most attractive option it was very effective. Permanent mounting options would include the nose of the bike with racing skins, or the tail of the bike if there is room in there.

lemondrop

is that all there is?? the site made it seem like there was the unit you have pictured, then the display unit...then the gps antenna...???

and what about the video portion??

GixxerPilot

The unit will require power, either hard wired to the battery or a portable battery, and the GPS antenna which can be velcro'd to the tail of the bike.

I will get some pictures this weekend of installations I am doing at Autobahn...

Jeff

justariot66

I am curious how much the starlane costs? Its 800 on kneedraggers but a member said there is a Nesba discount, what is the discount?

Dave #66

Todd Stinson

I just ordered on of the new XT units, If nothing else I am sick of not getting lap times with my standard lap timer if a transmitter is not out, etc. I think the split time capability will be key also as I learn things by breaking down sections of track vs trying to digest the whole track at once. The specs show lots of capability for additional data logging if you so desire. It's getting good feedback from beta testing riders on the WERA forum.

lemondrop

i just went GLOBAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowwowow

rk97

has anyone used this brand? http://www.maxqdata.com/index.html

i was talking with guys on another forum about the starlane, and someone selling the unit above popped in. The price is certainly right.

and it's a compact unit - probably about the size of a computer mouse, judging by the pictures. there's no display, but I don't need any more distractions on the track anyway. i'd sit the thing on my tail section.