Be ware of Sea Foam

Dont ever let someone you are buying a bike from tell you they used sea foam as stabilizer and thats why it is smoking a little bit. and it doesnt use any oil :rtfm:

I learned my lesson.... Now I am Paying for it... FML

ZLTFUL

Um...the title of this thread is sort of misleading. I can safely say that I have used Sea Foam as a fuel stabilizer in a very large number of vehicles and have never experienced issues with smoking (aside from using it to clean carbon deposits then it will smoke like a madman until the product has burned off).

The thread title could have just as easily been "Don't trust what a dishonest seller says to you".

BTW, Sea Foam is a kerosene based product. Gasoline engines are not meant to run on this or anything else closely related to kerosene. So if the seller mixed a whole can with say 1 or 2 gallons of gas, then you will have problems but that is to be blamed on a lack of following instructions not the product used.

Yes, I am being very defensive as my great grandfather invented this product and my grandfather marketed it. But as long as the label directions are followed, you should never see any issues as mentioned using it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree. SeaFoam is fine for a gas stabilizer. I've been using StaBil, but I know a lot of friends, and a mechanic, that use it.

Perlzuki

I've used Seafoam in numerous vehicles, including bikes . I have not used it as gas stabilizer as Stabil works good for that. Never had any problems with Seafoam at all. Great product in my book. Sounds like " BUYER BEWARE " comes to mind, not" Beware of Seafoam"!

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000
07 BMW K1200 GT

Old Yeller

I use it in my boat too, as it was originally designed way back when. it's a very useful product when used properly. Also, I've had some conversations with the tech people at Seafoam and have provided very useful information to me too.

stkr

One of the Mod's could change the title of this thread, or the OP could just delete it. Beware of Sea Foam just isn't correct.

ZLTFUL;125944 wrote: Um...the title of this thread is sort of misleading. I can safely say that I have used Sea Foam as a fuel stabilizer in a very large number of vehicles and have never experienced issues with smoking (aside from using it to clean carbon deposits then it will smoke like a madman until the product has burned off).

The thread title could have just as easily been "Don't trust what a dishonest seller says to you".

BTW, Sea Foam is a kerosene based product. Gasoline engines are not meant to run on this or anything else closely related to kerosene. So if the seller mixed a whole can with say 1 or 2 gallons of gas, then you will have problems but that is to be blamed on a lack of following instructions not the product used.

Yes, I am being very defensive as my great grandfather invented this product and my grandfather marketed it. But as long as the label directions are followed, you should never see any issues as mentioned using it.
Seriously? Thats actually very cool that someone on the board is related to the inventor of a common item most of us have seen and/ or used.

As a side point, I agree the title of this thread is misleading and for those of you who were absent from class; Big Country is not so much mad at Seafoam but more pissed at the previous owner of his newly aquired track bike. Appears 'communication breakdown' happened between buyer and seller and now buyer is pissed!

BZ

jfeagin

Well, I'd be ticked, too. Bought my ancient CBR F2 knowing it had issues, didn't pay much for it. No problem. Had things gone differently...

Anyway, I like Seafoam as a carb cleaner, especially. Been using StarTech as my stabilizer. Works better than Stabil when your gas has ethanol in it, in my experience.

Meat

I like Sea Foam a lot for my diesel engine. I pour it in to fill the fuel filter when I change fuel filters, but now that I run biodiesel, my fuel system stays sparkly clean. :)