becoming a CR?

speedfree

So I'm very goal-oriented. I recently achieved my goal of bumping up to A group, so now I need a new goal, aside from ever-reducing my lap times with smoothness and finesse...

How does one go about auditioning for a CR job? I really want to be able to give something back to the organization that has given me so much joy and knowledge. It seems you guys work really hard on event weekends, and there's often a shortage - like the August Barber weekend, every one of you guys was riding every session! And it was hot! And so I empathized, and wished I could have helped somehow...

I am good with people, motivated to constantly improve, and comfortable riding around one-handed, looking back, as I ride with my wife fairly often ;):saythat: I also lead a weekly group ride where I need to be aware of where folks are, too.

Anyway, just curious as to what kinds of things you Admin-types look for in a CR recruit? Does one start as a "B" CR (which it seems may be the hardest job of all...) and work up? Is it like the bump, and one is selected, seeming arrogant in asking for it?:notsure: Do I just shut up and ride "A" for awhile, thoroughly & carelessly enjoying my NESBA weekends while letting those who already are CR's do all the work?:D

Thanks - and thanks for everything you guys already do!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
All I know is that there is a goat, and something that happens in casa de duth's basement. :wow:

stow

DJ and the other guys are always watching for future CRs. Usually they have a good idea of which members might make a good CR based off of their riding and personality. Just continue what you are doing.

Or show DJ the pictures of him with the goat and threaten to show them to his wife.

speedfree

jimski377;20288 wrote: Your next goal should be racing...........
On one level, I agree. I've almost been to the WERA school TWICE this year. I may make it next season, but I'm on the fence. However, I have done racing in autos and in shifter karts since the day I could drive. I've raced motocross, road bicycles and mountain bikes. I enjoy racing, and in every case I've been very successful at it. But now I'm 40, I have a 3-yo, a mortgage, a wife, and a few other bikes in the garage. I know myself well enough to know that I would push too hard, and I would end up wrecking bad enough at some point to get hurt, possibly enough to be out of work for some amount of time. I can't afford that on any level.
Plus I know that I won't be happy unless I have fresh tires every weekend, then every two races, then I need to get a little work done to the engine, then maybe a slipper clutch, then some upgraded fork internals, then maybe I should just get a newer bike...I'm old enough to have been down that road - several times.

I like trackdays b/c I get to decide when I'm pushing hard enough. Racing, I can't do that. When I was doing the bump dance, I told Rob at some point late in the day that I just wasn't going to push any harder on that day in search of a second, and I think he respected that. I really am just thinking of giving back. I've been riding motos since I was thirteen, and trackdays have been the absolute most fun I've been lucky enough to have on one. NESBA has been a huge part of that, and I'd like to pass it on as much as possible.

I appreciate the responses, and I know it's kind of a secret club, just like Advanced group, so I'll just keep riding for now! Once you guys get to know me a bit better, you may see that I'm not easily deterred from a goal once set.

BigKid

Wink always tells "b" guys to line up at the back of the pack, pass them all and then lap them again in one session. That might work in "A" to get there. LOL

JRA

I appreciate the responses, and I know it's kind of a secret club, just like Advanced group, so I'll just keep riding for now! Once you guys get to know me a bit better, you may see that I'm not easily deterred from a goal once set.
At NESBA I don't feel we have any "secret clubs". All we have are high standards and a desire to help everybody who is a member become the best rider they can be. My advice would be to just keep having fun and make your goal to continue improving your riding.

speedfree

JRA;20321 wrote: At NESBA I don't feel we have any "secret clubs". All we have are high standards and a desire to help everybody who is a member become the best rider they can be. My advice would be to just keep having fun and make your goal to continue improving your riding.
That was a little joke...in any activity or club, the next echelon often seems a bit mysterious to new members. Just look at responses to any "how do I get a bump" thread! Certainly it was somewhat toungue-in-cheek.

Kevmo

wait.. is this a CR thread... of a goat fawking thread?... lol

anywho good luck!.. there was a thread about this that went on for like 10 pages not to long ago

speedfree

I actually did try a search- wouldn't have even started a thread if I could've found that one! I'll look deeper in the archives - thanks.

...More on the "secret club" joke, 'cuz I don't want anybody taking offence - note that the first reply mentioned a goat and a clandestine ceremony in somebody's basement...

Mr.DJ

So - I miss the board for a few days and now somehow I got caught up with a goat, AGAIN ;)

Shane, if I knew you posted that before this weekend, I would have T-Bone'd ya in T5.

Fred,

Really nothing for me to add. Shane, "Rant' and JRA said it all. Well, almost!

The rest really doesn't change the outcome, and I am not into creating a "checklist." The right candidates naturally have it filled, or will at some point without any guidance from us.

We always watch for talnet. As early as "I" Group.

BTW - Racing is _NOT_ a prerequisite to become a CR (read our mission statement). Many CRs don't or never raced.

Mr.DJ

I wrote "read the Mission Statement", and I remembered most don't read the Manual ;)

"Our purpose is to get sportbikers on the track – where they can ride to their fullest potential without the limitations, distractions, and hazards of the street. We operate on the premise, "Ride Fast, Ride Safe". We believe riders can and should do both … in a structured environment, free from the free-for-all mentality of the street or the dogfight mentality of racing."

speedfree

Thanks, DJ, and thanks again for helping make NESBA as righteous a trackday org. as it is! That was my kid (on the little bike) helping you out at Sunday's rider meeting - he was pretty mad that after he went to all the trouble of making the meeting, he couldn't go out on the track...

Good to see Todd doing the CR thing - rode with you at Jennings last year and CMP in June (105 F!!!) - hope to join you someday. Next time bring some fresh tires so I can tow you around! :D

Probably see you guys next month, back down at Barber, even though I said I wasn't going to make the drive again this year...!

Morph

Control Rider
speedfree;20305 wrote: On one level, I agree. I've almost been to the WERA school TWICE this year. I may make it next season, but I'm on the fence. However, I have done racing in autos and in shifter karts since the day I could drive. I've raced motocross, road bicycles and mountain bikes. I enjoy racing, and in every case I've been very successful at it. But now I'm 40, I have a 3-yo, a mortgage, a wife, and a few other bikes in the garage. I know myself well enough to know that I would push too hard, and I would end up wrecking bad enough at some point to get hurt, possibly enough to be out of work for some amount of time. I can't afford that on any level.
Plus I know that I won't be happy unless I have fresh tires every weekend, then every two races, then I need to get a little work done to the engine, then maybe a slipper clutch, then some upgraded fork internals, then maybe I should just get a newer bike...I'm old enough to have been down that road - several times.

I like trackdays b/c I get to decide when I'm pushing hard enough. Racing, I can't do that. When I was doing the bump dance, I told Rob at some point late in the day that I just wasn't going to push any harder on that day in search of a second, and I think he respected that. I really am just thinking of giving back. I've been riding motos since I was thirteen, and trackdays have been the absolute most fun I've been lucky enough to have on one. NESBA has been a huge part of that, and I'd like to pass it on as much as possible.

WERA has a special class for us 40 and over types. It's call senoir superbike. Those guys normally don't go as "hard" as the young cats. But if your gonna race SSB. You better get a bigger bike to complete against moi.