Best solution for two sports bikes in truck bed?

bossman2022

I have a new 2500HD truck coming and currently take one bike to the track on the back of the old truck with a MotoTote (works amazing for one bike!). However now I have a bigger truck I want to be able to get two bikes in the truck bed. I have seen folks using ramps to get the bikes in the back and some kind of wheel chock up front to keep it upright before it gets tied down.

So my question is what do folks recommend for the wheel chocks, and do they need to be attached to the bed somehow or just leave them loose and tie the bikes down? How do you secure the ties in the middle of the truck since the other bike would be in the way to get to the tie downs on the edge of the truck?

Next would be what ramps do you suggest so I don’t fall off the ramp with my bike, but they can still be easily stowed for the trip to and from the track? Black widow has a good selection but there are crazy wide ones and then skinny ones etc. Not sure what works best.

Finally I assume with two bikes in the 6.5’ truck bed the tailgate will need to be down for the entire trip. I assume that’s not a problem as the tailgates are designed for that (and there are plenty of cargo extensions for when the tail gate is down). But is there any major issue traveling that way long distance with the tailgate down? Do you secure it somehow or just leave it down? Not sure if the rear tire would touch the tailgate or not but I suspect at least some of it would be.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I installed pit bull plates in my f350 bed, there is enough room for 2 bikes. I think a 6 foot bed might require the tail gate open

rpm894

I put a Pit Bull TRS plate in my Silverado 1500 with the 6.5 foot bed. I was just able to close the tailgate, but I mounted it with the front wheel turned to the side, which lets you get the bike forward a little more.

With two bikes, you probably aren’t going to have room to easily pack all the stuff you need for a weekend.

I used two 10 foot long ramps. That made the angle shallow enough, but it was still a giant pain loading and unloading every weekend. I upgraded to a utility trailer after a year. That made life way easier. Now I need an enclosed trailer because I still don’t have enough room. You should buy the Aluma trailer I have for sale on here and skip the hassle.

bossman2022

Oh I didn’t think about turning the wheel to get it closed in. Would that work with two bikes and the Pitbull? How do you secure the pit bull to the floor? Is there access to bolt it from underneath?

If I take the truck and two bikes it would be towed behind my motorhome so I have lots of space for the gear in the motorhome storage. Otherwise I am still considering a bumper pull toy hauler which will use way less gas than my motorhome.

rpm894

Why wouldn't you just pull a trailer with the motorhome instead of pulling a truck with bikes loaded in the bed? What's the point of the truck? It sounds like a heavy, tall trailer.

You would have to load it up and see if the two plates would fit and if they will be in a spot that will allow you to bolt them through the bed. I had to remove some metal panels underneath to access the underside of the bed, and there is stuff under there that could prevent you from getting a bolt through in certain spots.

I loaded my bike up, closed the tailgate, and then set the plate in place to ensure it was in the correct location before drilling. But loading it had to be just right every time to get the TRS to line up and lock because it was such a tight fit.

Also, I don't care about my bike getting wet, but having to empty the belly pan of water every time you hit rain on the highway gets old fast. Putting bikes in a truck works if you have to. If you don't have to, I wouldn't.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Also, I don't care about my bike getting wet, but having to empty the belly pan of water every time you hit rain on the highway gets old fast. Putting bikes in a truck works if you have to. If you don't have to, I wouldn't.
Not that taking the belly fairing off is a big deal, but if it is, you can buy these 1" diameter "pop" plugs from Kurvy Gurl for cheap....

Jacob

I used to do this, and honestly it's enough of an asspain I'd just get a trailer.

But if you're determined, it'll fit, though I had an 8 ft bed and a short bed may need the tailgate down. Any decent ramp is fine, but I had to take the belly pan off to clear the apex where the ramp met the tailgate. Before I had TRS plates in the bed, I had 4 d rings in front and I'd hold the bikes up/sit on them while strapping them down one at a time. No wheel chocks used, though they'd make it easier I suppose.
Finally I assume with two bikes in the 6.5’ truck bed the tailgate will need to be down for the entire trip. I assume that’s not a problem as the tailgates are designed for that (and there are plenty of cargo extensions for when the tail gate is down). But is there any major issue traveling that way long distance with the tailgate down? Do you secure it somehow or just leave it down? Not sure if the rear tire would touch the tailgate or not but I suspect at least some of it would be.
Tailgates are not actually designed for that. Manufacturers will generally not rate tailgates for weight, but if they do they'll only rate tailgates for static weight the cable holds. They usually won't rate them for a dynamic load (e.g. bouncing along the road). Check your owners manual. You can replace the cable with rigid metal if you often have a lot of weight on the tailgate.

The ass end of 2 bikes doesn't weigh that much that it would be a problem, but I'm a stickler about this because I've seen a lot of accidents on the road caused by improperly loaded pickups.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I fit 2 bikes in the bed of a Nissan Frontier with the Pit Bull Trailer restraints (used under the bike not behind) So a mid to full size truck is no problem for 2 bikes. I used a folding 8+ foot ramp and a tailgate extender/ramp as well. I walk up the tailgate ramp and put the bike on the longer ramp.

bossman2022

I ended up getting the toy hauler I was considering as I am sick of cleaning the bike after driving in a storm also.
I fit 2 bikes in the bed of a Nissan Frontier with the Pit Bull Trailer restraints (used under the bike not behind) So a mid to full size truck is no problem for 2 bikes. I used a folding 8+ foot ramp and a tailgate extender/ramp as well. I walk up the tailgate ramp and put the bike on the longer ramp.
But I am curious if you managed to do with with the tailgate down or with it up?

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
But I am curious if you managed to do with with the tailgate down or with it up?
Tailgate down with bed extender (also is a ramp) I have room in front of the bikes for either unmounted spare tires or folding chairs.
In the bed had a flatspot that determined where the PitBull TRS plates went and it helped give me room for longer bikes if needed.

bmart

Control Rider
The extender/ramp is what I've seen a lot of. Bring a bucket/milk crate to stand on as you walk up next to the bike on the ramp.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
The extender/ramp is what I've seen a lot of. Bring a bucket/milk crate to stand on as you walk up next to the bike on the ramp.
2 ramps works best or I used to have a ATV ramp that was the full width of the bed. I've seen cooler and crates kinda work on small and mid size trucks but most full size trucks are too high of a step to make with just a crate. Another CR has a lifted full size truck and uses 2 ramps too.

rpm894

And don't forget to run a strap from the ramp to the hitch to keep it from popping off the tailgate. :cool:
Make sure you don’t just hook a tie down to the ramp. Loop it around because the tire can kick the tie down hook off the ramp on the way up and kick the ramp out. Then your bike will fall from basically the height of the bed and break lots of parts the evening before heading out for a three day weekend. In the rush to fix it, you will not notice damage to the lower fairing, and then you will see half of it ripped off laying in the track your second lap around Summit between turns 9-10. But just a guess. . . .

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Make sure you don’t just hook a tie down to the ramp. Loop it around because the tire can kick the tie down hook off the ramp on the way up and kick the ramp out. Then your bike will fall from basically the height of the bed and break lots of parts the evening before heading out for a three day weekend. In the rush to fix it, you will not notice damage to the lower fairing, and then you will see half of it ripped off laying in the track your second lap around Summit between turns 9-10. But just a guess. . . .
r/oddlyspecific :laugh:

jsin38

I know the Pit Bull Mafia is gonna refute my claims but let a lazy, cheap man have a say here.

I've been hauling in the bed of a pickup for years. I currently use one non-folding Black Widow 7'11'' long x 15" wide ramp for the bike and I walk up on the left side on a folding 7'6" Yutrax ramp. This usually requires the kindness of track day paddock neighbor pushing the bike from the back.

Once in the bed, the front tire lands in a not so fancy wheel chock similar to the Black Widow 2-piece chock available from Discount Ramps. That wheel chock is not mounted to the bed of the truck, but rather to a length of construction channel from Home Depot. This helps keep the wheel chock from wobbling side to side. One important trick is to use a rag or something to prevent hot tires from sticking to the front portion of the wheel chock. That will make unloading easier.

A canyon dancer strap goes over the grips and that is strapped down with ratchet straps to the front cargo hooks on the truck. Not too loose, not too tight. My rule is, I've strapped the bike down tight enough if when i shake the bike, the truck also shakes. Have not blown a fork seal yet. Have not thrown a bike onto the highway yet.

Now, your 2500 will have a higher loading floor height than my Tundra. That could make a difference in your choice of ramps. Longer will be better...make all the jokes you want now.

Oh yeah, two bikes. That's another benefit of the construction channel. Just get two of the wheel chocks and bolt them to the channel at appropriate distances from each other and the sides of the bed.

As for the tailgate, you can leave that down for the duration of your trip. If you want extra peace of mind, you can run another cargo strap across the back. I swear I have a picture of this setup somewhere....

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I know the Pit Bull Mafia is gonna refute my claims but let a lazy, cheap man have a say here.
3 years ago I converted to the Pitbull so after 20 years of strapping bikes down to trailer and in truck beds. I've used similar methods to what you do too and all worked fine. As long as you get to and from the track it's all good.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I've had a truck for 12 years and have hauled a number of bikes in the beds. As much as it's nice to not have to use a trailer, I admit that even using a small landscaping trailer or the like in combo with the truck is the way to go. The trailer deck is far lower, making it way easier to load the bike. And leaves the bed completely open for all your gear, wheels, and parts. It's just a constant balance of "what is easiest", because to me, having to spend an hour carefully loading your truck bed, then stuffing your cab to the ceiling with gear and shit, is not easy. In fact, it's more annoying and a pain in the ass than just using a small trailer. If a trailer was out of the question, honestly I'd probably just use a motorcycle carrier in the hitch and call it good.

bmart

Control Rider
Many folks love the Pitbull system. If you're hauling the same stuff, it is great. I haul al kinds of different stuff, so it doesn't work for me. Straps are easy, cheap, and universal. I've also tripped in the Pitbull system countless times helping others load.

I agree on the bed vs. trailer. I have loved all of my low, light trailers. They'll haul anything, including most of what I need for the track on them or in the back of my tiny wagon. I have also seen guys RIDE their bikes up the single narrow ramp to the truck bed. Yea....no.

jsin38

I have also seen guys RIDE their bikes up the single narrow ramp to the truck bed. Yea....no.
Seen this madness as well. One guy with a 2x8 and those metal ramp adapters from Harbor Freight attached. Last session of the day, he would come off the track, through the paddock, hit the ramp, and barely slow down enough to keep from going through the cab. Not recommended.