bike in the truck

mikes929

my track buddy has moved away and i am forced to put bike in back of truck can someone tell me besides the obvious of buying a trailer is there a easy way for one man to load a 929 in the back of a ford f15o?? I have a ramp but maybe someone knows a little trick???

justariot66

get another ramp and walk it up with the ramps side by side. If your tall you could use a milk crate as a step into the back of the truck.

mikes929

ok thanks man will give it a try vary scary though loading it by yourself i have to just get over it thanks alot.

Fire929

I did the same thing for a while. 929 and F150. I had an atv ramp so it was wide enough to walk up with the bike. I would always find something to drive the front of the truck on to make it easier to load (curbs work fine). It helped the angle so the bike wouldn't rub going in. They also have some curved ramps that I hear work well. It gets easier with practice but if I had a choice I would take a trailer over a pick up anyday.

$30 and you can get a small trailer from uhaul.

kevin

Tip on Loading Bike By yourself

I use a ATV ramp and I ride the bike up the ramp. I will say the first time I did this that it scared me because the suspension was soft and it bottom out but I still made it with trunk on level surface. Being that your suspension will probably be stiff that may not be a problem. If you have atv ramp make sure you connect the cables to rear bumper for safety. Now I park my trunk at a incline so the ramp isn't as steep, then ride up by myself. Its worse for me to walk the bike up, I only do that when there are 2 other people with me.

Last time I ran my bike up, the bike pinned me to the side of trunk. I am small guy so riding the bike up works the best when I am by myself. Keep in mind most people won't recommand that, but I don't have any other method when at home by myself. Some people walk the bike up and use the throttle as help.

I hope I helped you little and be careful because more people damage their bike loading and unloading then anything else. By the way I have Honda CBR 600rr and Nissian Pickup which is lower to ground than your trunk, you will need to find a hill and park your trunk at bottom, so ramp won't be steep. Its real easy that way. I wouldn't ride the ramp up on level ground if it was f150 trunk.

Good luck and if your going to Barber this weekend I will see you

mikes929

thanks alot guys tried the method of changing the angle on a hill to make it lower worked great only had 24 inches to top of tail gate now if i can only find a good hill at the tracks i go to will be in good shape thanks.

physicistkev

Control Rider
To make an easier ramp, make the ramp longer. I used a 9 foot long 2x12 to load my 1990 GSXR into the back of my Silverado for the longest time. The best thing I found was to get a small plastic deck chair. Put this at the edge of the tail gate as you step up into the bed of the truck. Start the bike. Put it in gear while you are standing next to it and use the engine to get it up the ramp as you effortlessly step on the chair on your way up. this way you are not exerting any force pushing the bike, you are just there to guide it.

Also, use a ramparts aluminum ramp attachment on the wood to make a clean ramp into the bed. I never dropped my 500# relic while trying to get it in the truck. Only when trying to get it on the rear stand:(

Drewbie

Best thing is to get someone to help you. Katie and I can load a bike in a min by ourselves. Once you get it down, it becomes really easy.

Work as a team and its really easy. You hold the bike, they push. When you get on the tailgate to bed gap with the front tire, hold the brake. Have the person helping get in the truck and hold the front brake and the bike. Then you switch the back to push. The bike is in. Then you dont have to worry about stepping up on the gate holding the bike. Much easier and safer.

If your by yourself getting the tailgate as low as possible is the best option. I dont recommend using the motor to pull it up.. too many things can go wrong.

People will always help you unload at the track. Dont hesitate to ask. Better than injuring you or your bike.

Drew

JohnS

I say go the ATV ramp way as well. I have loaded my R6 into the bed of my old 4x4 Dodge Dakota many times and most recently into my 4x4 Titan. I pretty much roll the bike about 2 feet before the ramp start it, get it rolling under its own power and just walk up the ramp next to it.

I had to buy a new ramp because my old one got stolen. I bought my new one at ATVramps.com, it is
40" wide and 88"long, it was like $155.00 shipped.

John

dlockhart5x

Hills, ditches, and curbs. Whatever it takes to lower the truck bed will really help. Getting my CR125 into the back of my F350 4X4 can be a adventure, let alone trying to load my Mille in there.

Rhino

When I load mine in the F-350, i use my cooler to the left side of a regular narrow motorcycle ramp. I start the bike and walk it up the ramp, step on the cooler right into the bed of the truck and just feather the clutch to drive it right into the bed. if you need to stop in the middle of the operation, make sure you atleast get the front tire onto the tailgate, the brakes don't work very well on a steep aluminum ramp. The bed also has a line-x bedliner, which provides better grip if needed.

Gaitherb

I had the exact same problem. I bought a Black Widow ramp a few months ago and it's pretty good. It comes in three pieces and is long enough and wide enough (you can put your feet down) for you to ride your bike into the back of the truck (4x4). You can then fold and load the ramp in the bed of the truck. The ramp is about 300.00, but you don't have to worry about dumping your bike when you load and unload.

Attached are a couple of pics of it:

manderson

I would do whatever I could to stay away from using a chair or stool as a step for you get up or down to/from the tailgate. I used that method until I came down on the stepstool and it went south on me. The next thing I knew, I landed with one foot trying to support me and a 450 lb. bike. Obivously, my ankle folded and I went with the bike coming right after me. Luckily, I was able to roll as I hit the ground and get out of the way of the bike as it fell off the ramp. Stage 3 torn ligaments were the result. The next stage of a tear requires surgery.

Yup, I would definitely recommend to stay away from a stool or any kind step if you can. Find a curb, or hill that that you back up to - or better yet, find a buddy to hold the bike as you make the transition from the tailgate to the ground.

beac83

If your ramp is slippery, get some non-skid tape (like for stair treads) at Lowes or a hardware store. I added this tape to my ramp and it made a world of difference

Steve

I used the 2 ramp method where you walk up one and clutch the bike up the other for a few years. At the track people are always willing to help you unload, but when you get back home, guess what, you gotta do it yourself. One trick I'll thank Ron for was using the clutch as a brake when unloading. Using the rear tire to stop on the way down works so much better than the front.

HTH

LesPow

Control Rider
Get that Arched ramp if your gonna buy one. It eliminates the need of searching for higher/lower ground to load/unload at track day. I bought a ramp without arch and I love it but without the arch I have to find higher/lower ground, just a pain after a while. Be careful loading alone with single ramps, you miss a step unloading and thats all she wrote.