Brake Pad Thickness

r6 junkie

Can someone tell me how thick the material is on a NEW brake pad (although I have an R6 they should all be relatively the same). I am trying to figure out how worn my pads are compared to new. I have .085 to .09 on my pads, I am guesstimating they are about 50-60% worn.

Also, when do you track junkies typically replace your pads? 50%, 75%.......

Thanks

BarryD

The thickness of a new pad varies by brand... most I've used are around .15''

Most pads have a wear indicator groove somewhere around .06-.07''

At a NESBA day, you may not pass tech if your pad material is thinner than a nickel (.077'')

I replace my pads when they reach the wear bar, or when they lose their feel.

ronhix

Thinner brake pads will cause excessive heat transfer during aggressive track riding. This excessive heat will cause brake fade.

Look at your pads, do they look thin? As in obviously close to running out of pad? If so, change them.

Are you experiencing brake fade after several hot laps? If you have bled your system properly and the brake lever doesn't feel spongy BUT you are still experiencing brake fade toward the end of your sessions, you should probably change pads.

BarryD

wait a minute.. you lost me
New pad = 4.6mm = .181'' - useless pad material .07'' = .111'' useful pad

your pad = .085'' left = .026'' material still good

.026'' /
.111'' =
23.4% left to use =
NOT
50% :dunno::eek:

:banghead: O M G , I can't believe I just typed that..... (i'm a closet geek):rolleyes:

Moral is.. I think you'll be much happier with new, track oriented pads. Your current pads have seen their best days. The cost is very small in the scheme of track expenses.

r6 junkie

BarryD
I hear ya, I had already decided mine were done. Even though they have 50% material left I know you can't run them all the way down.

Anybody know what brand Derek sells and what the characteristics are?
I tried Ferrodo before and thew them away and went back to stock.

RollieManollie

Control Rider
BarryD;8795 wrote: The thickness of a new pad varies by brand...
+1! I just replaced my pads Thursday night before the beaver weekend with vesrah pads and a nesba tech inspector asked me to keep an eye on the pads because they were "getting low." I didn't have the heart to tell him the weren't even scrubbed in yet:D