Brake Reservoir mount

Meat

Matt;155163 wrote: When I got this tubing, I filled a short length of it with my brake fluid and put bolts in both ends and let it sit for a week before putting it on the bike. as long as I keep an eye on that test piece, I'll have a weeks notice if anything happens to the piece on my bike!
HEY!!! That is a great idea! Now I need to get my pea-brain to remember to implement this new-found great idea.

jcrich

Matt;155163 wrote: When I got this tubing, I filled a short length of it with my brake fluid and put bolts in both ends and let it sit for a week before putting it on the bike. as long as I keep an eye on that test piece, I'll have a weeks notice if anything happens to the piece on my bike!
I would think that may not be a clear cut indicator. The tubing on the bike is under pressure when the brake lever is applied, your test tubing is not, so the piece on the bike may fail before your test piece.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
jcrich;155486 wrote: I would think that may not be a clear cut indicator. The tubing on the bike is under pressure when the brake lever is applied, your test tubing is not, so the piece on the bike may fail before your test piece.
Is the tubing connecting the master to the reservoir under much pressure? I was under the assumption that it wasn't? Regardless, I'd personally rather purchase tubing made for brake fluid and not have to watch a test piece.

Mikey75702

jcrich;155486 wrote: I would think that may not be a clear cut indicator. The tubing on the bike is under pressure when the brake lever is applied, your test tubing is not, so the piece on the bike may fail before your test piece.
HondaGalToo;155502 wrote:
Is the tubing connecting the master to the reservoir under much pressure? I was under the assumption that it wasn't? Regardless, I'd personally rather purchase tubing made for brake fluid and not have to watch a test piece.

It's not under pressure. When the brakes are applied that tube might even be under a slight vacuum. The master cylinder sucks from that tube then pushes through your lines. And inside of the reservoir there is a diaphragm designed to separate air and the fluid.

jcrich

HondaGalToo;155502 wrote: Is the tubing connecting the master to the reservoir under much pressure? I was under the assumption that it wasn't? Regardless, I'd personally rather purchase tubing made for brake fluid and not have to watch a test piece.
I have no idea, but when the brake lever is depressed, it is compressing the brake fluid down the circuit towards the calipers, so there has to be some pressure. My point is that if there is a weakness in the tubing, failure would be more likely in this scenario than the fluid sitting statically in the test piece.

Mikey75702

The failure will probably be due to the tubing getting brittle and cracking under movement. One factor you have to add in to the static test is heat from the brake fluid. If you ever get your fluid real hot it could cause the tube to get brittle faster. But like hondagal said, if you get the tubing made for brake fluid non of this will be an issue.

BigBird

cbrcrducmonster;155164 wrote: that 63$ way isnt looking too bad at this point.. i figure pretty much stay away from the clear tubeing at the home center looks kinda soft. I bought my sebimoto bodywrk and marvics from yoyodnye about 7yrs ago and still useing the stuff. McMaster Carr might have bracket/stock and tubeing to get the job done? www.mcmaster.com
yeah...after 4 visits to various auto parts stores and buying various sizes, none of it seems to fit right. After all that, I just wanted to get something that I knew was going to do it.