Braking and Down Shifting

TeamBeer

I am looking for some advice on down shifting during heavy braking. Going into T3 it is easy to match the throttle and downshift so you are on the throttle coming out of T3, but how do you match the throttle for the last down shift during heavy braking at T10A? Do you just have to learn to twist the throttle while holding the brake in or do I need to be off of the brake sooner and back on the throttle for the last down shift before going into T10?

Kordyte

Yep, you gotta learn to do that. Generally people use 2 fingers for braking, the other 2 for the throttle blip.

Not easy, I'm trying to learn it too

NickMcCoy

With practice you can easily blip without sacrificing your grip on the brake lever. The other way to do it is to not blip and just dump the clutch since you have a slipper. Both work, it just depends what your preference is.

dpullen

Yep, blip while braking. It's important to trail the brakes during turn-in so that the bike falls in easier, so you don't want to let off for the last (or any) downshift.

TeamBeer

So do you grip the brake lever with the tips of your fingers? Maybe I am getting too much of my fingers on the lever making it harder to blip.

dpullen

I use 1 finger for braking (my middle finger). That allows me to use my thumb and index finger for blipping. I also gives me an excuse to flip everyone the bird as I'm rolling into a corner... :)

Find the combination that's comfortable for you, and practice it. A lot. It took me years to figure it out. Starting off with a slipper clutch made me lazy, and had me thinking that I didn't need to - boy was I wrong!

Mikey75702

My personal preference is the first joint on my fingers to brake... and I use my index and middle finger. That allows me to use my pinky, ring finger, and thumb to operate the throttle...

TeamBeer

Thanks. I generally try to use the first knuckle, but I bet I am using more coming into 10. I do dump the clutch down to 4th, but I assume I should be down to 2nd going into 10.

dpullen

Yes, going in to T10a, you should be shifting from 6th gear down to 2nd gear. And you should blip/engage the clutch with each downshift.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Count me as another that took years to get this right. Or at least close to figured out! Trying to blip while braking caused me to jerk on the brake lever...not so smooth! I also use the index and middle fingers to brake. A tip given to me at the Schwantz School that helped was to downshift and blip while at maximum braking, as the lever is pulled in about as hard as it can be, so that decreased the "jerkiness". Also, I was told to position my hand on the lever closer to the inside of the lever (towards the inside, rather than the end of the lever). That kind of lessens the distance I'm pulling the lever. I've since worked out a way to blip while not at full braking. These tips may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

matt2212

David, while we are talking about down shifting techniques, i was having a problem a barber 13 through 14a at lean angle getting in conventional down shifts without upsetting the chassis I'm sure this is a technique flaw, would GP shift help due to the fact that you can slip the shift without a lot of movement? i noticed the better riders (mostly Cr's) where down shifting GP style while leaned over before the blind turn-in on 14a and where way smoother than I was. any in site would be helpful

fitz

some guy #2;185426 wrote: You could just feather the clutch. With a slipper clutch this is very easy and forgiving.
Can you explain further please? In detail.

fitz

some guy #2

I downshift then release the clutch slowly until it spins up with the motor. You can hear and feel when it starts to catch up and at that point you can dump it. On my GSXR 1000 with a hydraulic clutch I lost most of the feel for this so the slipper clutch helps when I don't get it right. On fast downshifts it will get a little wiggle but nothing that locks up the rear wheel.

I haven't mastered the throttle blip so I can't compare times but I imagine this is slower.

TeamBeer

some guy #2;185463 wrote: I downshift then release the clutch slowly until it spins up with the motor. You can hear and feel when it starts to catch up and at that point you can dump it. On my GSXR 1000 with a hydraulic clutch I lost most of the feel for this so the slipper clutch helps when I don't get it right. On fast downshifts it will get a little wiggle but nothing that locks up the rear wheel.

I haven't mastered the throttle blip so I can't compare times but I imagine this is slower.
That is what I have been trying to do, but I felt like I need to get some revs before I dumped it into 2nd or sometimes 3rd.

Southerly

A couple of times this weekend I ran out of time downshifting into 10a and just held the clutch in after the last click. I was trailbraking into the turn, and found as I came off the brake I had lots of time to adjust the revs and slowly let out the clutch. It ended up being really smooth, but probably isn't the recommended approach. I think I did that a few times in turn one as well. Much better than when I missed the downshift and entered turn 1 in a false neutral :eek:

some guy #2

That is what I have been trying to do, but I felt like I need to get some revs before I dumped it into 2nd or sometimes 3rd.
You might need to hold the clutch a little longer going into 2nd or 3rd but once you feel it engage it's already matched RPMs so you're good to go. I have gotten wiggles before but having the bike squirm is a good thing.