Buying a Used Trailer from Craigslist

prplppleatr239

Howdy all -

I'm in the process of acquiring a new enclosed trailer to haul my bike to the track, from a private party Craigslist ad. Looking for some insight from others on things to watch out for when doing so. I've already got checking the VIN online to make sure it's not stolen @ < https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck >, but what else do I need to know? Is there anything specific I need to do to transfer the title & get it registered?

I tried searching but haven't been able to find much info. Located in PA if it matters.

Thanks!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Depends on the size. Over 3000gvw and you'll need inspection due to brakes. Otherwise a notary will het you squared away with title and registration. First year is a $7 fee for reg and then you can pay every 5yrs and that is easier if you're like me and forget to send it in.

Check the obvious, lights,, tire wear, pull the dust seals and check the bearing grease and depending on age maybe drop it at a reputable shop and have them look it over. No sense getting stuck for a $10 bearing. If it has brakes have them checked as well and invest in a good brake controller. The extra few bucks is worth it for the smoother brake operation

prplppleatr239

Thanks for the advice - Picked up the trailer I was looking at last week and got everything squared away. Only downside was that it was titled out of state, so I had to pay taxes on it to register in PA. :doh:

Got a great deal on it, and it pulls way better behind my Jeep than the crappy U-haul trailers I had been using. Now I just need to get the pit bull restraint I have for it installed and and I'll be in business. :)

bluers

prplppleatr239;273113 wrote: Thanks for the advice - Picked up the trailer I was looking at last week and got everything squared away. Only downside was that it was titled out of state, so I had to pay taxes on it to register in PA. :doh:

Got a great deal on it, and it pulls way better behind my Jeep than the crappy U-haul trailers I had been using. Now I just need to get the pit bull restraint I have for it installed and and I'll be in business. :)
I use Uhaul myself and have been keeping an eye out for a small utility trailer. Hoping to pick one up in the $500 range and put a TRS on it.

andykurz

Don't beat yourself up, you have to pay taxes anytime you transfer a vehicle title in PA. Glad you got a good deal - and you are right get the Pitbull restraint as soon as you can afford it. They are fantastic.