Can Help with My Trailer Plan?

Pseudolus

Hi All,

I booked my first track dates ever and now have to figure out how to get my bike three and a half hours away for them! I would be extremely appreciative if you could sanity check my thought process and point out any mistakes I'm making. I've searched much of the forum (and internet) to come up with the below plan so apologies if I missed something else I could have found via search.

Trailer Hauler: GMC Acadia
Experince doing this: NONE
Other helpful info: I replaced the internals of a toilet and still brag about it years later. i.e. I am useless with tools. :D

Proposed trailer: U-haul 5X9 open with ramp and motorcyle chock.
Rationale: I hear the dedicated motorcycle trailer sucks (stablity wise) and is rarely available and this version also has a motorcycle chock. I am also concerned with the bumpy ride from Connectictut to NJMP (GW bridge, NJ turnpike etc...).

Other trailer supplies:
4 ANCRA ratchet tie downs
Canyon Dancer (I don't know why I need this yet but I see it mentioned a lot?:eek:)
You tube video on how to tie down a motorcyle:D

Based on the above, I have the following questions:
1. Am I choosing the right U-haul trailer to safely transport my baby while not destroying my truck?
2. What speeds can I actually safely travel with this trailer attached (U-haul claims 55 MPH)?
3. How long will it take me to tie down a motorcycle with this trailer, by myself?
4. Any other info that I'm missing that would be helpful?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance!:adore:

1up5down

Control Rider
The advice I would offer is to pick up the trailer a day in advance of when you need it or plan on leaving. This being your first time, you'll want ensure everything is working properly well before you hit the road. Who knows you may decided an enclosed box trailer is better for you (security). One more rental day shouldn't break the bank (call it insurance).

Having had experinece with renting u-haul trailers way back in 2006 when I first starting hitting the track, I would suggest you really check the tread life of the tires and request that they change the tires if needed.

Why, well I had a tire blow on me on my way to the track. Fortunate for me I wasn't too far from a u-haul repair place, a tow truck was minutes behind me (didn't even get a chance dial the hot-line and one was there) and it was early in the morning so I got to the repair place before they opened, got out fairly quickly and made it to the track only missing a session or two.

I was lucky, you may not be as lucky as not all u-haul repair places have the right wheel size and tire for all trailers. Again, I was very lucky. Check the tire life!

You have a very solid plan. Don't stress too much as you want to enjoy the day versus getting overwhlemed by the prep. However, prep is important and helps to ensure a good day as well!

See ya on the 22nd!

Allen

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
There was a u-haul at the trackday this weekend and it looked in really good shape. Talk to the rental shop that you're picking it up from and see what they can do about securing one in good condition. They are built fairly tough because of the abuse they take. You should be able to do whatever speed you'd like. You'll get your ass run over going 55 on any highway around here.

Another option is to look at local trailer rentals for an enclosed trailer. There are a few places around me that rent them for $30/day. Craigslist may be a good resource for that.

Last, post up that you're looking for a ride. You might find a seasoned member with an extra spot in his/her trailer that would help you out with showing you how to tie down a bike and love to split the gas with ya. You're really not going to have much equipment with you other than your gear and a cooler full of water.

beevan217

The canyon dancer has loops on both ends that the tie downs go into to help secure the bike. The loops go over each end of the handle bars.

IMPORTANT!!: Make sure you DO NOT crank the tie downs too much. You WILL damage your fork seals & cause a leak. If you are going to do track days on a regular basis, you're better off getting your own trailer & purchasing either a Pit Bull Restraint System (I recommend that one) or some other kind of method of securing your bike to the trailer.

Good luck & welcome to NESBA!!!

joe81

When I first started it was an uhaul motorcycle trailer, but it's not usually available. Used various open uhauls with success. Then I got the 5x9 enclosed uhaul. Most only have two tie downs in the front.(I had to do some modifications before I left lol) Then I eventually built a platform with a pit bull TRS that fit inside the 5x9. (No worries about it ever falling over) Now I'm using my brothers van with the same platform. Whatever gets you there...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Good advice above. Your Arcadia is a 6-cyl? What's the tow rating? I shouldn't think pulling an open trailer with one bike would be a problem at all. Is the hitch a frame mounted one? I assume yes, I'm thinking those bumper ones would only be on pick em up trucks.

Good job on getting ANCRA tie downs. Prior to getting a Pitbull Trailer restraint system, those are the ONLY brand I used and trusted. Since you have the ratchet ones, as mentioned, don't over crank them. I prefer the other type, but it's just preference. As mentioned, the canyon dancer slides over the handlebars, giving you your front tie down points. I've used them successfully, but they can mess up your grips a bit. Another option is to get ANCRA soft ties and wrap them around the lower triple as your front tie down point. Always use a wheel chock! Sometimes loading with a ramp can be a bit tricky if you haven't done it before. Is there anyone around who can spot you? At least the trailer isn't a rail trailer!:D

So, secure the front with either the Canyon Dancer or soft ties around the lower triple. Pull the straps forward at about a 45 degree angle, although you may be limited with the placement of tie down points in the trailer. Then, wrap soft ties around your passenger pegs or someplace in that area, and secure the rear of the bike. Don't pull back too hard, as it'll pull the bike out of the chock. Basically, you just want to keep the back tire from hopping when you hit bumps.

matt2212

Put rags On the end of your handlebars and then the canyon dancers ( if the ones with the cups). It lets them slide into position as you tighten the straps without messing up your grips

Pseudolus

1up5down;243847 wrote: The advice I would offer is to pick up the trailer a day in advance of when you need it or plan on leaving.

Don't stress too much as you want to enjoy the day versus getting overwhlemed by the prep. However, prep is important and helps to ensure a good day as well!

See ya on the 22nd!

Allen
Thanks 1up. I'm definitely picking it up a day early so I can learn slowly!:D Security isn't an issue because I will be pitting at my parents in Pennsylvania and driving to the track from there. All of this is a bit overwhelming but it should get easier with repetition! I look forward to meeting you and thank you for the help!

Slitherin;243856 wrote: There was a u-haul at the trackday this weekend and it looked in really good shape. Talk to the rental shop that you're picking it up from and see what they can do about securing one in good condition. .
Thanks Slitherin. I'm also going to be toting my family up to Pennsylvania (Father's Day:D) so I can't share a ride this time around but great suggestion! Now that you've jogged my brain, I think I will also take the trailer to my dealership and ask them to look over everything I've done since they're constantly transporting bikes (and I bought the van driver a beer at our local bar:D).

beevan217;243864 wrote: The canyon dancer has loops on both ends that the tie downs go into to help secure the bike.
Thank you! The crazy part about all of this is the subjective comments I see on the web like "don't tighten it too much" LOL. I've been watching a lot of videos though so from what I gather, an inch and a half of compression maximum and you'll be fine. I can't wait to put this prep BEHIND me!

joe81;243868 wrote:
Then I got the 5x9 enclosed uhaul. Most only have two tie downs in the front.(I had to do some modifications before I left lol) Then I eventually built a platform with a pit bull TRS that fit inside the 5x9.
I think I will definitely get something permanent/easier next year but I will be relying on U haul for this season. Thanks for the suggestion for next year!

HondaGalToo;243871 wrote:
Good advice above. Your Arcadia is a 6-cyl? What's the tow rating? I shouldn't think pulling an open trailer with one bike would be a problem at all. Is the hitch a frame mounted one? I assume yes, I'm thinking those bumper ones would only be on pick em up trucks.
Thanks HondaGal as always! It's becoming clear my mindset of "don't ever read the manual" is not going to work with this hobby! :rtfm:

Sooooooo, after walking to the truck to get the manual, I can say it is a 6 cylinder, and the trailer can be up to 5,200 lbs. The hitch is frame mounted. :D The youtube video of tying down that is the easiest to understand also recommended not getting the ratchets so I'm going to go with the regular tie downs. I can't believe everyone has to go through this terror the first time transporting their bike.....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
LOL, it gets easier with time and practice. I had people helping me at first. Now I've transported so many times I can do it in my sleep. When you become addicted and purchase a trailer, definitely go with the Pitbull trailer restraint system. They weren't yet "invented" when I started doing trackdays, so I relied on tiedowns for years, with never a failure. :D The PB system makes it sooo much easier, and I had it all down to a system!

One other thing to be aware of...if the weather, um...not allowed to say the "r" word....but wet tie down straps will stretch. Also, inspect them prior to every use, and replace if there are any signs of fraying. If you use the soft ties or wrap the fabric part of the tiedowns around anything, ensure that they aren't resting on top of a bolt or nut, or anything else with pointed or rough edges.

And, you might want to get over your aversion to tools. Bikes used on the track, depending on how many days you do, may need more frequent maintenance. You'll save a lot of money if you learn to do the basics...oil change, brake fluid and pad changes. Removing wheels for new tires...:cool:

matt2212

Be careful, in a year and a half you could have something like this ;).
c6e4c898-f188-118b.jpg
c6e4c898-f1a6-fcaf.jpg

Pseudolus

matt2212;243902 wrote: Put rags On the end of your handlebars and then the canyon dancers ( if the ones with the cups).
Great suggestion! I've been reading about issues with the grips so thank you!

HondaGalToo;243919 wrote: And, you might want to get over your aversion to tools. You'll save a lot of money if you learn to do the basics...oil change, brake fluid and pad changes.
I'm definitely heading in that direction. I just had my 600 mile service done and the dealer VICTIMIZED me. :banghead: I vowed that day to at least learn oil changes....

matt2212;243967 wrote:
Be careful, in a year and a half you could have something like this ;).[/IMG]
I can certainly hope! :wow: That's a sweet set up/variety of bikes!

Slitherin;243975 wrote:
Where in PA are you guys heading?
My parents live in the King of Prussia area. My brother is driving up from Washington DC using the same trailer strategy (his first time trailering as well; second track day) and we're both meeting at my parent's house on Friday. Then driving to NJMP the next morning at the crack of dawn! :cool:

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!:adore:

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243871 wrote: Always use a wheel chock! .
Well they say no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy! :nutkick:

HondaGal, Can you elaborate on that comment "always use a wheel chock"? The U-haul dealers don't have the 5X9 with a chock so I had to book one without a chock. Tying down this bike and driving the round trip is going to be the scariest time of my life.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;244251 wrote: Well they say no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy! :nutkick:

HondaGal, Can you elaborate on that comment "always use a wheel chock"? The U-haul dealers don't have the 5X9 with a chock so I had to book one without a chock. Tying down this bike and driving the round trip is going to be the scariest time of my life.
Without a wheel chock, the front wheel can turn, causing the bike to fall over. Yeah, even if it's tied down. If the trailer has a solid front wall, it may be possible to tie it down with the front wheel firmly pressed into the wall to prevent it from turning. I've seen folks do that with pick up trucks with the bike in the bed. Then it should be fine. Perhaps others who have towed with a U-haul with no chock have some better ideas. If you do what I've described, just don't pull the tiedowns securing the back of the bike too tight, causing the front wheel to pull a bit away from the front wall. That's assuming the trailer has tiedown points only at the corners.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;244252 wrote: If the trailer has a solid front wall, it may be possible to tie it down with the front wheel firmly pressed into the wall to prevent it from turning. I've seen folks do that with pick up trucks with the bike in the bed. Then it should be fine. .
Thanks HondaGal! I was just reviewing the manual for this trailer and it indicates the same thing. Here's the instructions for anyone else considering the same thing:

Motorcycle loading & securing
Walk or ride your motorcycle (MC) up the ramp and position the FRONT tire in the wheel chock or against the front wall if no chock is present. Always load a MC facing forward. Secure the MC with four 1,200 lb. rated cam-buckle or ratchet-type tie-down straps. (two for MC front and two for rear) Attach tie-down straps from each side of handlebars or shock towers to lower front D-rings located inside trailer. (refer to your MC owner’s manual for other recommended attachment points) Tighten straps evenly, compressing shocks about halfway to ensure that MC is firmly secured and cannot move side to side. Attach tie-down straps from each side of rear MC frame or wheel to lower center or rear D-rings located inside trailer. Tighten straps to prevent MC rear from moving. Make sure all straps are tight and avoid contact with hot exhaust pipes. If cargo is loaded with a MC, also follow instructions above for open or van trailer.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
That sounds good. Again, assuming the rear tie down rings in the trailer are behind the bike, just don't pull the rear ones too tight. If there's something to attach the straps to in order to also pull the rear straps (attached to passenger pegs) forward, that would be better. Sounds like there may be D rings in the center as well. Straps should be pulled forward at approximately a 45-degree angle.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;244258 wrote: That sounds good. Again, assuming the rear tie down rings in the trailer are behind the bike, just don't pull the rear ones too tight. If there's something to attach the straps to in order to also pull the rear straps (attached to passenger pegs) forward, that would be better. Sounds like there may be D rings in the center as well. Straps should be pulled forward at approximately a 45-degree angle.
Thanks HondaGal (as always!!!!!!). I will have this thread with me when I'm tying it down! :)

matt2212

You can grab one of these from harbor freight ( about $25) or a bike shop or online... take a pice of 3/4" plywood 2' wide and Long enough that the front and rear wheel rest on it. mount the chock at the front in the center, back just far enough that the plywood hits the front of the trailer first. put the plywood on the floor of the trailer before you load the bike

DO NOT just jam it angst the front of the trailer it will fall

And you can take the plywood out and use it next time or in the bed of a truck

Pseudolus

matt2212;244273 wrote:

You can grab one of these from harbor freight ( about $25) or a bike shop or online... take a pice of 3/4" plywood 2' wide and Long enough that the front and rear wheel rest on it. mount the chock at the front in the center, back just far enough that the plywood hits the front of the trailer first. put the plywood on the floor of the trailer before you load the bike

Thanks Matt. I assume I can do the same thing with the Pit Bull Restraint system? I plan on having a trailer anyway so I might as well get the best?:D And bear with me but is the theory that the bike resting on a plank of wood won't slide because of the tie downs keeping the wood (and bike) in place? I get the improvised chock but I'm not clear on how the wood doesn't slide from side to side of the trailer. I assume it's a dumb question but this is my baby! :eek:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
matt2212;244273 wrote:

Good idea, Matt, I was also starting to think along those lines.....definitely a good option.