Caption this Photo/Randy is a Boss (WERA Cycle Jam 6/17-6/19)

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Raul at Highside Photo captured this picture of Randy during race practice on Friday (Randy is number 163 for those who don't recognize him, one of our esteemed CRs). Pretty sure he broke his thumb, and he screwed his bike up pretty good too- clutch and forks were both pretty bad off, on top of other things. Then he went on to win the Senior Middleweight Expert race on Saturday after getting his bike back together. Randy, I strive to be like you one day.

Attachments

• Chabot.jpg
    Chabot.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 80

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Personally I think he is saying this in his helmet:

"Will you look at this shit! I forgot to put the valve cap back on the front tire! Son of a bitch! I knew that was going to screw up my day!"

BTW: Glad you are OK Randy!

CBRtist

I thought this photo was so epic when I first saw it! Nothing captures a moment like this and he just Energizered Bunnied it on out.

Props to Raul also. He definitely photographs the heart of track life in his style and injects artistic interpretation into it.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
"I thought my bike and I were in this together!......Traitor!!!!"

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Thanks guys...seems that picture has gone everywhere. In a split decision, I made a bad decision to pas a slower rider in a bad spot instead of waiting for a better place to pass. I think a part of me got too confident and cocky. I ran out of real estate and got caught up with the other rider when he "swooped" his bike to the right.

I only remember the revs of the motorcycle and feeling my head bounce off the track...the crack of the shell hitting, then rolling across the pavement.

The Astra suit crashed well and the carbon on the shoulders was ground down pretty good....if the carbon wasnt there, I am pretty sure the leather would have gotten chewed up good. Initially I thought there was very little damage to the bike, but once in the pits I kept finding more problems.

The bike hit so hard it knocked the quickshifter module off the bike. In the pits it would not start or shift properly. After doing all I could to get it to shift I opened the engine, and ended up finding out the shift forks got misaligned from the shift drum. Once I got that fixed, I got the subframe which was twisted up pretty bad aligned so I could put the tail section on. I replaced the rear wheel which was bent pretty bad, a clip on and fixed the broken starter switch.

Taking it around the pits the front didn't feel right, so I brought it back and noticed the front wheel and rotors were bent. Once pulling the front wheel, I noticed it was tough to remove. Pulling the forks, I noticed the left fork didn't seem right and upon further inspection identified the lower leg was bent.

Saturday morning I got a hold of Mike Fitzgerald..aka Thermosman who said he couldn't repair the fork for Saturdays races, but could for Sunday. Well darn, I am only here for Saturdays races....I brought the fork back to the pits and decided to put the bike back together with a spare front and rear rim and take it out for a lap on Practice session 2. The bike felt good and no leaks were present, so I ran a few more laps with hard braking to see if there was any stiction or leaks...with no problems, I decided to race the C-Superstock, C-Superbike, and Senior Superbike Middleweight Expert races.

Though gridded at the back of the pack, I got a few good starts and pushed my way to the front couple rows. Overall I finished 1st in the Senior race, working to the front runners in the Heavyweight class, and finished 6th and 8th in both 600 class races.

Everyones times were a few seconds off, but I was happy with the finishes, following the adversity the day before. I cannot thank fellow racers in the paddock who offered parts, Huey from Marrieta Motorsports for his advice and pep talk following the accident. To the rider who I ran into for his sportsmanship, and racers in my pit crew who helped me along the way.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Randy, that entire post is what the sport should be all about. The ability to recognize a mistake, perseverance to make it happen under adversity, competitive drive, and sportsmanship. Hats off man.

Maybe using gorilla glue on my tear offs wasn't such a great idea.

Looks and sounds like a pretty bad crash...happy all is well.

R1Baby

Control Rider
"Well, there goes my face shield. Guess I'll just use this piece of windscreen. Looks like a perfect fit. I got this!"