Chain Breaking

03bueller

Control Rider
$100 dollars to the person who can find me the name and address of the first &%#^ person to ever post on the internet that chain breaking is @^&#@% easy! :argh: :banghead: :argh:
On a more technical note, anyone have an idea what to do when the chain breaker won't push the rivet all the way thru?

2trill357

It's as easy as Sunday morning if you do it right. I'll be in VaBeach on Saturday so let me know if you want me to come by and knock it out for ya. :poorguy:

edit: And I'll also take that $100 of your hands. :D

stow

You need to dremel off the end of the rivet before using the chain breaker. Worse case, if you are changing out the chain and don't plan to reuse it, just use some bolt cutters on the chain side plates. I have resorted to this in the past. Good luck.

03bueller

Control Rider
well the thing of it is my chain breaker was able to punch the rivet through, it just doesn't have the reach to push it all the way out the other side, even though the breaker "said" it would work on a 530 chain. What I think I need to do is bite the bullet and buy a decent breaker, all these specialized tools are killing me, almost as bad as the 46mm socket I had to buy for my rear nut.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, grind the head of the pin off first. The ease is also dependent on the quality of the chain breaking tool. Mind you, I haven't done the entire process myself, I watched, and that's what my friends did. It does take some effort. Just be careful when you press the new one on...you don't want to over do it so the rivets crack/split.

sobottka

i use a grinder on the master link pins and pry the plate off with a large flat screwdriver. works better than most chain breakers.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
03bueller;152317 wrote: *Puts a dremel tool on list of things to buy, right behind a torque wrench and more allen wrenches"
Yeah, if you're not buying bike parts, you're buying tools to work on the bike. It never ends, LOL.

03bueller

Control Rider
Well my last big tool purchase is when I figured out that I needed to be able to bleed my own brakes, then I discovered at the track that I required a 46mm socket and 3/4 in breaker to remove the rear nut in addition to the custom single side swingarm stand, I have since discovered that I need both standard and metric (not just metric like I have right now, as well as a hex head set for my ratchet, and of course now the dremel. We need to have like a comprehensive tool starter set or something that includes all the basics to basically everything, maybe not fast though.

Mikey75702

If you use any kind of grinder to grind the heads off of the riveted pins, once you push them through with the breaker, just pull the plate and it comes out.

Gorecki

03bueller;152320 wrote: We need to have like a comprehensive tool starter set or something that includes all the basics to basically everything, maybe not fast though.
My favorite pub Practical Sportsbikes out of the UK first issue had a pretty good writeup on three levels of tools. Maintenance, Improver and Expert (something like that). And though it covered a lot, still didn't cover everything ever needed. Seems there's enough *special* stuff needed for any given bike, the only real reliable source is that bikes service manual. And then, I often didn't like what I saw (what...$80 for an oil filter wrench????) where in from there you can find or even fabricate an alternative if you look/read/search hard enough.

Even with best intensions I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one whose over looked something needed. But my guess is the next time, you'll know and you'll have it. :cool:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
As an aside: If you're at the track needing to adjust something and find you don't have a tool you need, ask around. Everyone's helpful. I often have folks borrowing something from my toolbox, and it always gets returned. I don't have a nail file, though, LOL.

Dave561

Control Rider
HondaGalToo;152364 wrote: As an aside: If you're at the track needing to adjust something and find you don't have a tool you need, ask around. Everyone's helpful. I often have folks borrowing something from my toolbox, and it always gets returned. I don't have a nail file, though, LOL.
Hahaa yeah that happened to me at Summit. I think I met 6-7 new people and no one forgot where I was pitted and returned everything

As for the original poster I use a grinder like Sobbitka. Takes less than 10 minutes to remove and install a new chain

pefrey

03bueller;152313 wrote: almost as bad as the 46mm socket I had to buy for my rear nut.
I only have a left and a right. :dunno:

:D

One more thing, something I learned a long time ago the hard way. The right tool for the right job. Having the right tool makes things so much easier.

03bueller

Control Rider
lemondrop;152436 wrote: plasma cutter...bring it on up to Richmond and we will get it off for ya!
Hmmm, I've already tried repeatedly banging it with a hammer so maybe this is the best bet :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Matt;152445 wrote: The RK chain breaking tool makes chain breaking / pressing eeezy breezy.

I've used a couple other tools and it's been a huge pain. I can have a chain off in 2 minutes every time. Using good tools makes all the difference.

(shameless plug)

http://www.trackdaystore.com/Chain-Tool-RK-Chain-Cutter-and-Press-Rivet-Tool_p_3551.html

There it is.
When I get one, that'll be the one I get. The only other one to consider is the Motion Pro Jumbo (not the regular Motion Pro).