Chain Replacement

Fastguy

2trill357;196738 wrote: Get the RK chain tool.....you won't regret it!
ninjamansc;196748 wrote:
For chain breakers/rivet tools, "good" and "economical" can't be used in the same sentence. You can have either, but not at the same time.

Depending how much you plan to use it, it may be easier to just borrow from someone local or have your dealershop do it. Or, just leave it and have someone bring one to your next event.

The RK tool really is awesome though.....
Thanks

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Fastguy;196735 wrote: Thanks to Vinny . . .

. . . I will probably need to replace my chain & sprockets by the end of this season.

Can someone recommend a good economical chain breaker/rivet tool?
I picked up the the Motion Pro 3 in one press/breaker/rivet set to change my sprockets and chain. Good stuff

jimgl3

riveting for first time! anyone have tips on how to know when you've squished it enough without breaking it?

mike_21

Control Rider
Yearly Vinny. Lost chain at Barber and it went right through my engine case. I now use engine case protectors on all my bikes as well.

Mike

2trill357

jimgl3;226833 wrote: riveting for first time! anyone have tips on how to know when you've squished it enough without breaking it?
Jim,

It doesn't take much to get a good rivet. Just rivet it to the point that you can tell that it starts to "mushroom" at the top.....don't muscle the hell out of it, but don't be a b*&ch with it either....lol. To ensure that I've got a good rivet I take a pair of needle nose pliers and try and pull the plate off once I'm done (not ripping at it, but just give a few good tugs). If you've riveted it too much that link will be kinda tight and not move as freely as the rest of the links in the chain.

jimgl3

thanks man. that's pretty much what i was thinking. my biggest problem is that at 48 my vision is lacking! i've got progressive lenses, but i need a freaking magnifying glass! lol!

dbakerpa

jimgl3;226870 wrote: thanks man. that's pretty much what i was thinking. my biggest problem is that at 48 my vision is lacking! i've got progressive lenses, but i need a freaking magnifying glass! lol!
I feel your pain brother. Trying to work and keep what your doing on the bike in the right plane of the lens is a bitch. But it isnt to tough to get the rivet to roll appropriately.

Any opinions on using a year old track chain on a street bike. The chain is still in specs and the sprockets are not worn.

physicistkev

Control Rider
With the modern riveting tools, that usually can break the chain. Riveting is pretty easy. The only thing I do outside of the motion pro tool is a high speed grinder to grind off the squashed pins on a link to make it easier to get the chain off.

I will say this about clips. I used them for years on the old monster. The only time I ever had a problem was when the rear wheel wasnt aligned correctly. Even then I never spit the chain, just saw that the clip was missing. If it was good enough for that stump puller, it should be good for just about anything. However, since most chains come with a rivet link, and you need to ask or pay extra for a clip, it's easier to do the rivet.

I change my chain and sprockets when necessary. The rear sprocket, being aluminum, gets changed with the chain. The front sprocket, being steel, only gets changed if the teeth show wear or curling.

Kevin

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
make sure you check the rollers in the chain, as i unfortunately found out if those break, you can kiss your sprokets goodbye.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
mike_21;226854 wrote: Yearly Vinny. Lost chain at Barber and it went right through my engine case. I now use engine case protectors on all my bikes as well.

Mike
Thanks Mike, new chain & sprockets installed and ready to rock...