Define "Squid"

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
I've been on two wheels for 22 years but only recently (since last year) been involved in the track day community. I've seen the term "squid" coming up on social media a lot. I've never heard this before. Is it a track thing? I feel out of the loop. I saw something about it possibly being someone who wears a lot of gear for safety? I was in the Navy for 9 years and marines and soldiers called us squids. Thats the only place I've ever heard this. :rofl:

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Is it a track thing?
Nope.
I saw something about it possibly being someone who wears a lot of gear for safety?
Quite the opposite. Think jelly like soft flesh not protected by gear. Squid.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary) Squid– Any of an order of motorcycle riders who have few if any true riding skills, no training, and no common sense. They often wear little or no protective gear, ride extremely recklessly, and crash often. Basically, they possess way more bike and balls than brains.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
It's a term I used to hear a lot years ago. Yup, what Brent said. Squid is a derogatory term for someone who rides like an ass on the street with no protective gear.

Haha, just noted the dictionary definition, didn't realize it was in there!
Pulled from here, it's in jest.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Squid is anyone slower than me on track...anyone faster is known simply as a Cheater :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But yes to the above comments. Prior squid here

rpm894

We had an intro to trackdays book at the shop I worked at almost 15 years ago now that used the term “screaming parker.” A screaming parker is someone on a liter bike that screams down the straights and then parks it in the corner. Is that term still in the lingo?

PatricksDad

We had an intro to trackdays book at the shop I worked at almost 15 years ago now that used the term “screaming parker.” A screaming parker is someone on a liter bike that screams down the straights and then parks it in the corner. Is that term still in the lingo?
As a nearly 60 yo novice, riding an SV, that shit made me laugh out loud.