Did you achieve your 2015 goals?

raylee

Keep talking, what sweet Nanny goat, will run his belly, cough, Ray Lee, cough.....I can wait for next season, been there done some of that haha...
Happy to see you progress and never doubted you. My voodoo is nice.

I'll admit.. you might have taught me a couple things. :p My bike's not gonna be stock next season so you better keep that bike in tip top shape, I don't want to hear any excuses come spring time!!!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Yeah, Raylee has made some huge improvements this year, I'm glad was around to see it unfold.

RocketDan

1. Get race license. Check
2. Compete in race. Check
3. Win battle in race. Check
4. Get podium. Check

Still working on 2016 goals but feel like Win Race should be one.

kawijay

New to this
Don't laugh but my goals are motorcycle related:

1. Get refresher MSF course done - check
2. Get a Ninja - Picked up a 2013 Kawi Ninja 636R on 9/26/2015
3. Get SNELL/CE-2 approved gear - check
4. Get some knowledge about riding and activate - Picked up Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2. Found out I had a lot of work to do if I wanted to keep riding.
5. Get a decent group of people to push you in the right direction about motorcycles - Joined N2 and ZX6R.com

Goals for 2016:

1. Get a bike just for the track - I am a Kawi fan looking to purchase a 2005-2007 ZX6 sometime around Feb/March
2. Get rid of as many SR's as possible - I do realize this may require a few crashes
3. Get rid of my ego and become open to suggestion and criticism - this is my main focus
4. Get better at body position, being loose, using my legs at least 50% more than now, throttle/braking control
5. Get rid of my chicken strips lol
6. Get my knee down

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Good goals, kawijay. Couple of comments. Trackdays shouldn't have to "require a few crashes" in order to learn. It does happen, however, but one of the goals at a trackday is NOT to crash. Drawing a blank on what SR stands for.

I like #3!!! With regards to #3...definitely leave your ego at the gate. Ego only gets you hurt....the second part of #3 about being open to learning and constructive criticism is spot-on, that's the attitude to have approaching learning to ride well on the track. And that's where the CRs will help.

Working on #4 will result in #5 and #6, Once body position and other techniques such as smoothness, braking/throttle control are improved, chicken strips will disappear and your knee may scrape the ground. Don't make knee down a goal in and of itself - it is the byproduct of proper technique.

Cheers!

kawijay

New to this
Good goals, kawijay. Couple of comments. Trackdays shouldn't have to "require a few crashes" in order to learn. It does happen, however, but one of the goals at a trackday is NOT to crash. Drawing a blank on what SR stands for.

I like #3!!! With regards to #3...definitely leave your ego at the gate. Ego only gets you hurt....the second part of #3 about being open to learning and constructive criticism is spot-on, that's the attitude to have approaching learning to ride well on the track. And that's where the CRs will help.

Working on #4 will result in #5 and #6, Once body position and other techniques such as smoothness, braking/throttle control are improved, chicken strips will disappear and your knee may scrape the ground. Don't make knee down a goal in and of itself - it is the byproduct of proper technique.

Cheers!

This is why I like this place. Help and direction is what I need. Yes I will definitely take these things in and put them into motion. 2016 is looking good already. I appreciate the direction. I was only saying I may have to go down to learn some things because I am not perfect. You are right I don't have to go down to learn. From my understanding SR's are "survival reactions" that happen on a bike when there is fear or panic. Like putting your feet down in hopes to stop the bike to prevent a crash. Or letting off the throttle because you didn't set up the turn right and you don't know how to fix it. Things like that. Picked it up in "Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2. Geez....I hope I explained everything correctly....smh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
I might add that chicken strips are actually a good thing. IF you carry speed AND you have chicken strips THEN you aren't using as much lean angle to achieve the speed. This makes CS's good. :)

kawijay

New to this
I might add that chicken strips are actually a good thing. IF you carry speed AND you have chicken strips THEN you aren't using as much lean angle to achieve the speed. This makes CS's good. :)

You mean while turning?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I like mine with Chik-fil-A sauce. Mmmmmm

Use of the edge of tire is dependent on several factors and I would say that speed and body position are the two most important. I think Jack is referring to a good body position will result in less lean and therefore less need for use of the last bit of the tire

Other factors that affect tire usage are geometry and profile of tire vs rim. I can't use all of the rear on SV, but I use all but the last few mm of the front

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Ah, yes, I just remembered that SR is Code-speak for "survival reactions". I haven't read those books lately. Another I'd recommend is Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. I'm going to re-read that one over the winter.

Back to the SRs (yes, you explained it well!)...I think the best way to learn to overcome them comes back again to proper technique. Learning to be smooth, and always, always (even in a panic situation) apply the brakes smoothly. Set them lightly for a millisecond first, then progressively squeeze harder. When you turn that into habit and muscle memory, you're much less likely to panic and grab a handful of brakes, which usually doesn't end well. We never want to "grab" "stab" "flick" , etc. Smooth is where it's at. When you're smooth, the speed will come.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You mean while turning?

Yup, he means in the turns...CS I think means corner speed. And Jack has a point about chicken strips. Better body position results in less lean angle,and therefore is safer. I use all the rear on my track bike, but not the front. See Dave's post, it does depend on a lot of things.

My street bike has big ole chicken strips...it's just not worth it on the street.

kawijay

New to this
wow you guys are amazing. I am super excited about my first track day. Its gonna be 4/3 (if the tentative schedule sticks) at Summit Point. I will have all of this to work on! This is gonna be great! Just gonna use all the advice from you guys as possible. I think I will do well with you guys as my guide. So CS means "corner speed". Got the book from Amazon....whats next?51zIJzyq0+L.jpg

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Read it. Develop a realistic plan per day or preferably per session. Many of us, myself included, get stuck doing laps without purpose. Work a session focusing on body, then brakes then ....

Trying to do too much all at once can be difficult and frustrating. Always Remember to breathe and smile. Have fun or regardless of how fast you are, you're doing it wrong

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
kawijay, lots of great replies here to your goals. Jack, Dave and Judy hit the nail on the head with regards to things like crashing, chicken strips and body position. Like Judy, I too like your #3 ;-) Once we as riders realize that we are the things that need the most work to become better at this sport, we can make some great progress. If you ever get the chance to meet true champions like Hayes, Beaubier, Russell, etc...you realize how humble these guys are. It's because they need to be aware of their weak points and realize that they need to work hard to win consistently.

Welcome to N2 and definitely don't hesitate to reach out to us at the track for help!

Greg ZX6R

Jay, while thinking back to my early track days, the 2 things that might have kept me from crashing were body positioning and vision. I think one can get away with poor body positioning to a point, then you're greeted by the pavement as your pace picks up (sometimes on multiple occasions).

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yep..if you use your vision, keeping your eyes always looking ahead, that will avoid most of your panic situations and remove many situations where your reflexes resort to survival reactions.