DIY AK-20 Install?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Suspension upgrade is on the list for this coming off-season, and was wondering if anybody has installed the kit themselves. I'm very skilled with the wrenches, but is it enough of a PITA to send em to Traxxion? :notsure:

Thanks in advance.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
If you're spending $1000 for the cartridges, is another $200 or so not worth it to make sure they're installed right versus trying yourself, maybe making a mistake and ruining them?

Poper

D-Zum;69505 wrote: If you're spending $1000 for the cartridges, is another $200 or so not worth it to make sure they're installed right versus trying yourself, maybe making a mistake and ruining them?
I agree. Talk to Rob @ Lithium Motorsports (He's on the BBS, just not sure the screen name. Phone number is 800-894-7190). He runs parts for the NESBA Midwest events and he can hook you up with a great price for AK-20s INSTALLED! I'm going to try and scratch up the funds to get mine done this winter.:D

sobottka

Poper;69546 wrote: I agree. Talk to Rob @ Lithium Motorsports (He's on the BBS, just not sure the screen name. Phone number is 800-894-7190). He runs parts for the NESBA Midwest events and he can hook you up with a great price for AK-20s INSTALLED! I'm going to try and scratch up the funds to get mine done this winter.:D
Lithium rocks! :D .....but they are the mid central/provider. ps-They do all my stuff too!

Sklossmonster

Actually, Rob is the Mid-Central parts vendor. Turn One Racing is the Midwest support team, and we are also Traxxion authorized sales and service, as well as GP Suspension, Penske, Ohlins, etc...

As far as installing the AKs yourself, it can be done, but only with the right tools, the right temperament, and good technique.

I would personally recommend most people pay the $170 in labor to have the job done right by an industry professional, who already owns the tools, has the skills, and the experience, to do the job properly.

If you're one of the few truly mechanically inclined, meticulous, detail oriented, serious do-it-yourselfers who's willing to spend the money to buy fork seal drivers, proper spring compressor tools, etc. and wants to spend the time and money to see if they can do it themselves, then by all means take a shot, but be prepared to make some mistakes, and quite possibly have to do it again. Hopefully not learning the hard way.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to try my hand at something that couldn't compromise my safety or the quality of my tracktime if I got it wrong (like painting my own bodywork)

It's really one of those things that's most often best left to the professionals. There are lots of other projects you can do on your own bike that only require normal tools, and that if you get wrong are more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Either way, best of luck with whatever you decide, and of course my personal recommendation is Turn One Racing, I hear they're all that and a bag of chips ;)

Poper

Sorry about the Mid-West/Central screw-up guys!

Ninja, it looks like you have some great opportunities to get some sick work done to your forks by some fellow NESBIANS.

PS: After reading the very detailed reply above, there is know way I'm fuc*king with my suspension! Professionals, here ya go!

Personally, I would avoid Traxxion's services. I bought a bike that had a set of forks which they revalved was missing a couple of parts and had been assembled incorrectly and the shock that they setup had the wrong angle hose installed. I personally don't see what the big deal is with installing the AK's your self. If you've ever worked on an inverted fork before you shouldn't have any trouble installing them. I thought that was the point of buying prebuilt cartridges, drop them in, adjust the oil level, assemble the caps and you're done. If you need to send them in for the work to be done I would think you would be better off to get Ohlins, Penske, Racetech etc valves installed.

TN10R

There is nothing really hard about fork work. True you need a few special tools, but it is more about keeping things clean more than anything.

If you are comfortable taking things apart, you shouldn't have any issues. It will take you 10 times as long as it should the first time, but everyone must learn once.

That said, I would recommend replacing your internals with penske parts. I used Matt at MD Racing. You will spend about half what the AKs will cost. Well worth the money, and Matt was great to deal with.

http://www.mdracingstp.com/

I've heard a lot of complaints about traxxion services as well.

Sklossmonster

TN10R,

It's all relative. What's easy for some is hard for others, kind of like riding around the track, or anything else I suppose.

Years ago when I wanted to learn how to do all this stuff myself, I would hand deliver my forks and pay extra to be able to watch as they were disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and reassembled with new seals, etc.

Every time I would think this is something I can do myself with the proper tools and technique, yet I would also think I'm so glad I know it's being done right this time.

I actually enjoy doing my own forks now, but I prefer to do it under Joe's supervision so there's no doubt in my mind I've done it correctly. And I use Joe's fork seal drivers, pro-style fork oil level setter, etc... (For those who don't know, Joe Denowh is the Certified Mechanic in the Turn One Racing operation)

Anyway, there are lots of industry "professionals" in the game, but only a few you can really trust. Again, like anything else I guess.

I recommend you do some homework, try to find a good one, and build a relationship with them. The motorcycle game is one that has many components to it, and a good relationship with the right vendor will pay dividends in the future.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose.

ThePro8

For fork internals and fork seal, send them to a professional. Joe from Turn One Racing does great work and a VERY reasonable price.

crewnutz

suspension professionals many times do more than just install cartridges and some will send you the forks back nearly perfectly setup where all you have to do is put them in and go

Thermosman is just one of these gurus.......he is well worth the money to have him install AND setup your forks/shock

DIY is all good but it wont be as good as having a guy like Mike set your stuff up