Don't do this...

rmadursk

I made a couple of rookie mistakes on Sunday at Summit Point Jefferson. I don't know if it will do any good since the mistakes are things you hear about all the time not to do and I still did them. Some kids never learn :banghead:

Anyway, second track day, first day on the new to me SV650. Bike did well. I had to adjust the clutch as it was slipping a little in the first session. By the end of the second session I got to the point where I was dragging a knee pretty consistently without sticking it out there in most of the longer right turns. Not so much in the shorter circumference turns and the left hander on to the final straight. I was concentrating on body position and getting comfortable with the machine. I was having some issues on when I should move over on the bike but the CR discussion after the second session helped with that.

I went down twice. My fault both times. First one in the third session just before lunch I was working with a CR and he let me pass. By that time I was getting tired so I slowed my pace to get ready to pit in for a rest (If I'm going at speed sometimes I forget to put the hand up until its too late and I have to go around again). That messed up my rhythm and my lines, which the CR noticed and passed me with a tap on his helmet. I figured I could work through it and fell in behind him. Bad idea, tired legs (so my body was all wrong), new lines, and bad rhythm. Normally I try to get my braking over with and get my fingers off the lever but I was off my game a bit and left my fingers in place through a decreasing radius turn (the fishhook if you remember Summit Jefferson). I’m pretty sure I tapped the front brake at full lean :nutkick:. I normally try to get my fingers off the lever once I get braking done for the turn but I must have gone back to my street riding habits. Bent a handlebar and tore up the right rearset. No big deal, got a new bar (Thanks Jim) and I had rearset spares in the bin of parts I got from the seller. Got it fixed (Thanks to Tom/Crash for the shade and tools from several sources) and 2 sessions later I was back out, still working on body position.

During the lunch session the CR described a better/different line through the fishhook then I had been taking. I thought I would try this new line, breaking the “don’t change more than one thing at a time” rule. I’m still not sure if I late apexed or just turned too far but I got up on the curbing, which ends too early I might add, and dropped off into a small mud puddle. This one bounced me pretty good. At the time I thought it was another low side but I think the fall off the curb and back onto the track sent the bike for a flight along with little old me. Knocked the wind out of me, smashed my left index, bruised ribs/hip/shoulder/etc… Bike damage was minimal, it has a couple of scratches (Tank is leaking again) and the right rearset is probably still good for a spare in a pinch but I’ll order a new one.

My apologies to the rest of B group for those. Hated wasting other peoples' time with my mistakes.

Got it all packed up and back home. I haven’t ordered parts to fix it yet but I plan to do so soon. Might try to get at least one more trackday in before the end of the season. They were hard lessons but good ones.

So Lessons Learned:

1. Don't ride tired, REALLY don't ride hard tired.
2. Keep your mitts off the brake lever once your done braking into the turn.
3. Only change one thing at a time whenever possible.
4. Move over on the bike as early as possible. This reduces the number of things to do into the turn.

Have fun,

Ron

Unbroken13

Glad your ok you looked a little deflated after that last spill... But before that you were looking solid... I did see you turn in a little early at turn one a couple of times and clip the curb... But hey that's why there is a b group... Lol.. Plus that track is pretty tricky... Heal up and come down to vir and play !!

Zebman

+1 on not riding tired. I credit my first time down to not sleeping due to the overnight cold in April. My whole body ached, I couldn't move myself about the seat, and overall was not focused.

I'm trying to make time to return on the 22nd, hope you get everything back together.

rmadursk

Unbroken13;286707 wrote: Glad your ok you looked a little deflated after that last spill... But before that you were looking solid... I did see you turn in a little early at turn one a couple of times and clip the curb... But hey that's why there is a b group... Lol.. Plus that track is pretty tricky... Heal up and come down to vir and play !!
Thanks, I was in a fair amount of pain after the bounce across the track :p

I did have several incidences of getting up on the curbing, without incident, until that last one. I don't like doing that and will need to work on that once I start working riding lines. The CR at Beave and Sunday at Summit both mention that I have a tendency to correct in the middle of the turns and sometimes that doesn't work well. I need to learn to pick a line and stick with it.

Have fun,

Ron

dbakerpa

sorry to hear you went down. Sorry about he clutch. I use so little clutch I didnt realize it was slack. Ask one of the other SV riders about blipping as you down shift. This will decrease you entry braking. If you need any rebuild advice give me a shout out.

Spork

rmadursk;286701 wrote:

So Lessons Learned:

1. Don't ride tired, REALLY don't ride hard tired.
2. Keep your mitts off the brake lever once your done braking into the turn.
3. Only change one thing at a time whenever possible.
4. Move over on the bike as early as possible. This reduces the number of things to do into the turn.

Have fun,

Ron
1. is huge , Eat right , rest / drink lots of water . I had my My left hand cramp shut once and it was rough trying to get around the track in 5th gear and not be in everyone's way .
I generally drink a pot of coffee and eat 2 banana's by the riders meeting , Then I chug 1 20oz of water before 1st session , I drink at least 1 20oz after each session eating more bananas through the day along with lunch .

4. is good also , I try to set up as early as possible . I lowsided last week because I got distracted by another rider and did'nt get my body set quick enough to take the turn at the speed i was traveling .

2. I don't agree with this , I brake upto the apex of some turns and will do-it more often the more comfortable i get with it .

3. I'm impatient, 1 at time is never enough for me :banghead:

dbakerpa

I agree with not touching the brake until you get everything else at a reasonable comfort level. As you learn to increase your corner speed you will figure out trail braking and even scrubbing through the corner. The nice thing about the sv is that you can still enter the corner pretty fast. The biggest reason you will throw down an sv is poor throttle control and failure to position yourself in a manner that the bike is getting more upright through the corner. Especially throttle control if enter to fast and chop the throttle it becomes very unstable cause its so light. If you enter slow and try to add throttle it needs to be subtle because of the torque on the sv. One thing that will help with the early phase is to go up one on the front or down two in the back till you master the right hand.

ceptorman

Glad you came out ok. Riding tired is NEVER a good idea, even if you think you'll just take it easy. You seem to have a good attitude....good luck.

rmadursk

Spork;287026 wrote:
2. I don't agree with this , I brake upto the apex of some turns and will do-it more often the more comfortable i get with it .
I trail brake too, have been for decades (long before I knew it was called trail braking).

What I did was tap the brake after I had finished braking and just before the apex. I sent the front tire patch outside the limits of the friction circle. It was a product of going back to street riding habit. On the track (and now probably on the street to rid myself of the habit) I try to take my fingers off the lever after I'm done braking into a turn to avoid the "oops I'm going too fast tap" and trust that the bike will make it.

Ron

rmadursk

dbakerpa;286988 wrote: sorry to hear you went down. Sorry about he clutch. I use so little clutch I didnt realize it was slack. Ask one of the other SV riders about blipping as you down shift. This will decrease you entry braking. If you need any rebuild advice give me a shout out.
Not a problem. I have a lot of wrenching experience so it was a quick fix. Probably never would have noticed it but I was pretty much staying in third gear for most of the course in the first session and it would slip coming out of turn 1 pretty consistently.

I definitely need some time working on my downshifting. Either matching revs or timing it differently. Slid the rear tire several times during the day after the long straights.

Not too much in the way of rebuild necessary. Ordered rearsets this weekend, some glass patch on the tail, and re-fix the tank. I'd really like to weld that up but welding on a gas tank really makes me nervous. I might just try to find a replacement somewhere.

Have fun,

Ron

Unbroken13

I slide the rear downshifting after straights all the time... I kinda like it... It's weirdly sexy... Lol.. I also trail brake alot.. It just tends to happen... I don't do it purposely.. I just let the track dictate it... If it feels right them go for it ...

EddieRo

Hey Ron,

Figured I'd share. Sorry to hear about your day. Could have been worse... Glad you are ok.

Went down a few weeks ago and am gimping around in a boot and crutches for the next few weeks. Small fracture in my foot but I'll be fine. Now the Mrs wants to talk about my desire to head back to the track before the month is out....

I have come to accept that going down may be a part of this thing we do. The goal obviously is to not make the kind of mistakes that lead to a down. That said, it may still happen. I've ridden full track days on wet tracks and in the rain and came out just fine. The day I went down was beautiful... I just hope to be able to get through a season or two without a touch.

Ordering some parts to fix my bike I got into a conversation with the sales person and he told me he has gone down nine times during races; one of the reasons I am not interested in racing..

As far as riding tired; Once I got to I group I couldn't make it through an entire session. I'd be tired as hell after 15 minutes in. It's tough to stay focused when you are tired. I was finishing my B group sessions wanting more time. Huge difference. Time to hit the pool and the treadmill....

Fix the ride and get back out there!

Be well,

Ed

rmadursk

Unbroken13;287238 wrote: I slide the rear downshifting after straights all the time... I kinda like it... It's weirdly sexy... Lol.. I also trail brake alot.. It just tends to happen... I don't do it purposely.. I just let the track dictate it... If it feels right them go for it ...
I don't mind it, but it has to be hard on the drivetrain :eek:

Ron