Ducati's trackday

Navyboy12807

Has anyone done the trackday that ducati has with doug polen if you buy a new ducati? I just put a depsoit on 1198s corse picking it up later today or Thursday! I haven't been on a track and I'm just wanting to know if the track deal ducati is doing is it a great program and I do know who doug polen is. Has anyone done it and how was it! Of course I'm new to the forum! I am looking for a track bike as I don't want to put the duc on the track and god forbid if I wreck a 25k bike I would be made at myself! I'm lookin to spend at the most around 5k any pointers on what bike what size ect I'm 6ft 200lbs.

Thanks
jon

rk97

can't speak to Doug Polen's school, but it's 'free,' right? Go have fun, and play it ultra safe so your bike stays shiny :)

Bike advice really depends on your goals, preferences, budget, etc. You only specified a budget.

If learning is your primary goal, an SV650 teaches you a ton about corner speed, without having overwhelming power to get you in trouble. You could get a NICE sv with all sorts of suspension and other upgrades for $5k. SV's are also cheaper on tires, because they run a 160 rear, and don't power through them quite as quickly as a 600, 750, or 1000.

If you like the high-speed stuff, a 600 or larger might be a better call. I tend to believe you can stay on a 600 longer, but patient riders on SV's have certainly taken them all the way from "B" to "A." the "B" group passing rules can get frustrating on a less powerful bike though.

you'll know after your first trackday, but one big question is how you feel about the engine-braking of a twin. I hated it. Moving to an I-4 made my life a ton easier. Some people are addicted to the torque coming out of turns though. the selection of 600's in the $5k range should be great. Again, you'll get a nicely set up bike for $5k, but probably slightly older or higher mileage than a similarly priced SV.

If you know you like high-speed stuff, and you'll be on big tracks, don't overlook a 750 or a 1000. They do eat tires more quickly, but a big straightaway can make even a 600 feel slow.

good luck with your decision.

Navyboy12807

Thanks I feel more comfrotable on the bigger bikes my first bike was 2000 Gsxr 750 03 Gsxr 750 07 cbr 1000rr, 09 Gsxr 1000 and now 2010 ducati 1198s corse! Only bile wreck and totaled was the 2003 Gsxr 750 due to stupidity but I was extremely lucky to walk away with a few minor bruises and couple of very very minor scrapes due to being in full leather took a corner way to fast for the street and hit that tar stuff they put in cracks and the front end washed out at 100 mph! But any ways yes the track day or weekend I'm not 100% sure about details is no charge at all I I'm sure I should be able to get AMA license! The bike 1198s corse come with a few extra in the crate rear stand, ducati racing exhaust, racing ecu, racing air filter, air box or something of the sort. With the track day from ducati u get tire warmers, pop up tent(conopy), 1100-1500 dallar watch depending on model bike, one on one track time with doug polen, and a few other things if u can afford a ducati I think every one should get one it's one he'll of a deal at NO EXTRA COST TO US!

rk97

"$1100-$1500 watch"? "one hell of a deal"?

disregard everything I said. sounds like you and I think completely differently. My first track bike cost less than your watch.

Navyboy12807

rk97;132417 wrote: "$1100-$1500 watch"? "one hell of a deal"?

disregard everything I said. sounds like you and I think completely differently. My first track bike cost less than your watch.
That's all included at no charge I was just saying what is included with the ducati promo if anyone buys a new ducati that's mike street bike. I was informing people about a sweet deal 1198s corse is 24995 msrp if you can afford one! I want a track bike don't want to spend anywhere close to that I just purchased the ducati for street cuz I don't want to hurt such a beautiful bike! I'm sorry I was jumping around a little bit I'm just so happy about that bike and wanted to share the news ducati's promo ends jun 15 th or 17th! I wanted others to get an awesome deal as i did! That's the best deal out the that I know of!

Navyboy12807

rk97;132417 wrote: "$1100-$1500 watch"? "one hell of a deal"?

I'm only lookin to spend around 5k for my 1st track bike! And just to let u know I'm not some rich prick. Just a young man who's mom passed when I was 10 but had a good life insurance and we sued the balls off the driver that hit us and killed my mom! I know see wants me to be happy so I spent some of it to make me happy! Lol

Hitman954

:rtfm: you may not be but that does classify you as a rich prick, and a young one at that. No hard feelings prick and welcome to the forum. Maybe welcome to the addiction if you ever make it to the track. ;)

Navyboy12807

Hitman954;132468 wrote: :rtfm: you may not be but that does classify you as a rich prick, and a young one at that. No hard feelings prick and welcome to the forum. Maybe welcome to the addiction if you ever make it to the track. ;)
Haha yea yea I only have a 2008 mustang gt (sale pending) picking up a 2008 corvette z06, ducati 1198s corse, and buying a house! But in reality I would rather have my mom but hey u can change the pass and u can make the present a whole lot funnier! Are u the wannabe comedian on this forum:saythat: lol thanks glad to be a part of the forum!

NoBull

If you come out to a trackday and go slow in the B group does that make you a prick being a pussy then? :D

Welcome aboard.

Navyboy12807

Haha bustin the new guys balls y haven't I joined sooner! I'll be out there going as fast as I can! If there is someone in front I should be able to keep up I hope! Or I can tie a rope to ur bike and have u tow me around the track!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! I don't know anything about the Ducati Days, but maybe we'll see you out there at an event. Where are you located?

Hitman954

[QUOTE= Are u the wannabe comedian on this forum:saythat: lol thanks glad to be a part of the forum!
I like to think of it as mister obvious

rk97

Navyboy12807;132444 wrote: I'm only lookin to spend around 5k for my 1st track bike! And just to let u know I'm not some rich prick. Just a young man who's mom passed when I was 10 but had a good life insurance and we sued the balls off the driver that hit us and killed my mom! I know see wants me to be happy so I spent some of it to make me happy! Lol

Jon - sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure you're not a "rich prick," but it appears that you're fairly well off, which; I'll be blunt, makes me jealous, and can be off-putting. I hope you won't take it personally.

Even your $5k bike budget would buy both
of the track bikes i've owned :p

whatever bike you end up with, always remember that seat time will make you faster than a fancy bike. There are control riders on SV650's and older 600's who leave me in the dust. There's a lot of satisfaction in passing a $25k bike on a $1,400 ugly duckling that's 15+ years old, too.

come on out and ride with us. You'll see what I mean quickly enough.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to the NESBA family!! Something you should know about your Duc that I've learned from experience. On the frame where the foot pegs are connected, is not crash friendly they bend very easily…in New Jersey if you bend the frame your bike is totaled (RIP 1098S). I’ve seen guys fabricate new foot pegs holders for their Ducs…:cool: no one wants to go down however, there’s always that possibility. Again Welcome… Are you currently in the Navy? I'm a retired SCPO

Navyboy12807

vinny337;132638 wrote: Welcome to the NESBA family!! Something you should know about your Duc that I've learned from experience. On the frame where the foot pegs are connected, is not crash friendly they bend very easily…in New Jersey if you bend the frame your bike is totaled (RIP 1098S). I’ve seen guys fabricate new foot pegs holders for their Ducs…:cool: no one wants to go down however, there’s always that possibility. Again Welcome… Are you currently in the Navy? I'm a retired SCPO
No I'm not I'm medical discharge! 28jan07 hence 12807!

To the other that is why I'm currently looming for a track bike so I don't mess up my beautifull 1198s corse!

And thanks to all welcoming to the forum

I'm in Harrisburg pa so me and a couple of my buddies will be going to nj to run trackdays once we get our track bikes and gear we are looking to start within a month. I have a 09 f150 super crew lariat and recommendation on a trailer that will fit gear and tools and 3-5 bikes?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Cool, meet you guys at NJMP at some point, then! I'll be at the July 19th date.

Nice truck! I have an '06 Lariat. Are you looking for an enclosed or open trailer? My Ford pulls my 7x14 dual axle enclosed no problem. I can fit 3 bikes staggered (I have shelves in the front, otherwise I might be able to stuff in 4, but it'd be tight). If you will really need to carry 5 at some point, you're probably looking at an 8x16, at least. Although, I have seen folks do amazing packing jobs, fitting more bikes in a trailer than I ever thought possible, LOL. So, you might want to get one sized based on the number of bikes you'd usually carry, then find a way to cram in an extra on occasion!

Navyboy12807

HondaGalToo;132691 wrote: Cool, meet you guys at NJMP at some point, then! I'll be at the July 19th date.

Nice truck! I have an '06 Lariat. Are you looking for an enclosed or open trailer? My Ford pulls my 7x14 dual axle enclosed no problem. I can fit 3 bikes staggered (I have shelves in the front, otherwise I might be able to stuff in 4, but it'd be tight). If you will really need to carry 5 at some point, you're probably looking at an 8x16, at least. Although, I have seen folks do amazing packing jobs, fitting more bikes in a trailer than I ever thought possible, LOL. So, you might want to get one sized based on the number of bikes you'd usually carry, then find a way to cram in an extra on occasion!
Keel that I'll check them out I probably look at th 8X16 as we plan on having an average of me and three others some time four others that we the comforts of the super crew and larait come into play and it has heated and cooled seats up front but haven't needed to use the cooled ones yet! Oh lookin for enclosed how hard is it to put in wheel chuck and tie downs and how much would it cost to have someone install them or is there a trailer out the with a shit ton of tiedown points?

Thanks jon

BigBird

i haven't found the need to tie down the front. the wheel will move, but it doesn't affect anything.

pro is that the bikes are secured, no tie downs needed and much easier to take in/or of trailer. saves a lot of time!

con is none that i have found, except having to take the cotter pin out the axle, which if you use a safety pin/hitch pin is very easy to do and takes 1 sec.

i think they are 279 shipped and well worth it!