Dunlop Compounds?

dpullen

I heard a rumor yesterday that I would like to get confirmed or dispelled by the Master... :adore:

The rumor is that Dunlop soft/medium/hard compounds actually use the same rubber compound, they just use a different carcass.

This doesn't match my expectations, and certainly doesn't match my experience (having used several different Dunlop 211 compounds), but perhaps perception doesn't match reality...

Thanks in advance for clearing this up!

- Dave

DUNLOP-RTS

dpullen;187407 wrote: I heard a rumor yesterday that I would like to get confirmed or dispelled by the Master... :adore:

The rumor is that Dunlop soft/medium/hard compounds actually use the same rubber compound, they just use a different carcass.

This doesn't match my expectations, and certainly doesn't match my experience (having used several different Dunlop 211 compounds), but perhaps perception doesn't match reality...

Thanks in advance for clearing this up!

- Dave
Not true at all, its a rumor.

The truth is the construction is the same, only the compound is different.

EXAMPLE: The D211GP 190/55x17 comes in 4 compounds::rtfm:
7614 soft
7704 soft/med
6680 med
6838 med+

All have the same construction. The only difference is the compound.

Now where might a rumor like this get started? There is some fact to it. Daytona tires do have different construction. At the Daytona events 2009, 2010 and 2011, there were 2 rear slicks that were available. Both has the same compound, but were 2 different constructions. It is possible that someone observed this and then attributed it to be applicable to ALL of Dunlop's product line. This scenario was limited to only superbike and only the rear tire. You can see how someone with a little information can over emphasize 1 aspect, and it becomes a totally new concept.