Dunlop Q2 @ 50% vs Pirelli Diablo @ 100%

R6_Fred

May 23, 2012
I'm riding my 2008 R6 on a set of Dunlop Q2s with about 4000 miles on them and about 50% tread left on them. But I recently picked up a brand new set of Pirelli Diablos as well. I'm doing the track day at Road Atlanta on June 23rd.

So the question is, should I put on the Pirellis a couple of weeks before the track day and do the track day on the new set of tires, or should I just go with the Dunlops? I've never tried the Diablos... is a set of used Q2s better than a new set of Diablos?

Thanks,
- Fred

speedfree

Aug 3, 2008
The new Diablo Rosso Corsa is a remarkably good tire. I was able to comfortably run 37s at VIR yesterday on them. They feel different than the Dunlops, just from the construction, but they have all the grip.
Also, almost universally, more rubber equals more grip. New shoes FTW!

...another fool on his phone.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Is it the Diablo Rosso Corsa, the Diablo Rosso II, or the Diablo Rosso? What group will you be riding in?

R6_Fred

May 23, 2012
Sorry, I should have mentioned... these are the Diablo Supersports. I ride an R6, if that's not obvious from my handle :). And though I've done one of these before, I'm going to be riding in the beginner section.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I'm not familiar with the Supersports. Do you mean the Supercorsa? The race DOT or the Supercorsa SP? :)

Regardless, fresh rubber is always best.

If you meant the Supercorsas, are you running warmers? If not, keep in mind that, as they are DOT race tires, they may take longer to come up to temp without warmers than a hypersport street tire...

Edit: ok I looked up Diablo Supersport. I've never heard of them, huh. Regardless, they look like they'll get the job done nicely. Seems they're a street/track tire, not a race tire.

R6_Fred

May 23, 2012
Thanks. Yes, they are street tires, but I just wanted to get some reviews on how they add up against the Dunlop Q2s (which I love). From the general consensus I'm getting, looks like I'll be mounting the Pirellis a couple of weeks before the track day and save the Dunlops off for later!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with any of the brands of hypersport street tires these days. They're all good! The tread pattern on those supersports looks like what they used to have on the now discontinued Diablo Corsa III. I liked those tires a lot.

rugbydawg13

Jan 26, 2010
Sounds like the standard Diablo. I've run it. Its ok but not at all on par with the Q2. The slide is predictable though if you have a steady throttle hand. However, I have lost the front on a set of DCIIIs in turn 4 at VIR North without warning. The dcIII is the same tire with a softer shoulder. When in doubt, swap it out. If you do run them, just set at 30/30 cold and forget about them. Lower than that they tend to get over heated and greasy when pushed hard.

...Sent from the dark side of the moon

R6_Fred

May 23, 2012
30/30 cold? Wow! The recommended pressure for street riding is 36/42 cold... shouldn't it be higher for track days? Like on cars?

rugbydawg13

Jan 26, 2010
No. Lower means more grip, higher equals more stability. 36/42 is for a fully loaded two-up street ride. I run 36/40 on the street most of the time, if not slightly lower in the rear.

...Sent from the dark side of the moon

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
R6_Fred;242560 wrote: 30/30 cold? Wow! The recommended pressure for street riding is 36/42 cold... shouldn't it be higher for track days? Like on cars?
Nope, you need them to flex in order to generate heat so they'll get hot and grippy. Personally, I think those street riding pressures are also too high (unless you have a passenger), isn't that the max pressure stamped on the sidewall? For street, I generally run 34-36 front, and 36-38 rear; just a bit lower than you stated.

In general, with any hypersport street/trackday tire, 30/30 cold is a good starting point unless the tire vendor at the track, or other folks who have experience with the particular tire, recommend otherwise.

Ruhe52

Jul 13, 2008
www.ridepre.com
Or you could sell them and buy a brand new set of Q2s from me and have them mounted by the great folks at Performace Cycleworx trackside in June.:)

R6_Fred

May 23, 2012
Alright, 30/30 cold it is! I never ride 2 up, so I guess I need to rethink my street tire pressure as well.

As for the Q2s, I love the ones I have on right now, but the Pirelli deal at CycleGear (front/rear set for $180) was too good to pass up on :)

Oct 15, 2010
Central Virginia
If you could stand the expense, take both sets to the track and try them out. I';m in the exact same boat. LOVED the Q2's at VIR North, couldn't resist the 180 delivered deal. I have the Q2's in the garage for track days, commuting on the Pirellis.