Dunlop Q3

betarace

been using Q2s for the last year, while they are good I think I am going to Pirellis (track day slicks) for the track and Q2 on the street. Have had -2- highsides and lots of stepouts on them lately at mid-high I pace. For a B or Street rider, I cant think of a better tire than Q2 (all around performance, durability, price) and would imaging that the Q3 would be same/better

12v_dub

I've been using Q2's for a while now, did my first track day on them as well. will definitely try em eventually for my street R1.

Godfather

Track Day Slicks

Betarace,

From my understanding, the Q2 is better than the track day slick as in grip goes. Spoke with Chuck last year and he said Dane was only 1 second slower on Q2's than the AMA D211's.

1BAD7 tried the Trackday Slicks last year. He too is a Fast I Group guy. He crashed on at NJMP.

I was running the Q2's last year on my GSXR 600 until mid summer. It got to where I could only get 1 full track day from the rear so after talking to Taylor and JRA. I switched to the US NTECs and the rear will usually last 3 days at Vir. D209/11's or NTEC Slicks are the way to go in my humble opinion.

R/
Mike

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
It will be interesting to see when NESBA will have Q3's available.

Colin/Chuck..you're our tire vendors...care to elaborate?

Southerly

Chuck doesn't have Q2s except by special request, so I am not holding out any hope that he will have the Q3s as a stock item either.

bmrboy

Godfather;274536 wrote: Betarace,

From my understanding, the Q2 is better than the track day slick as in grip goes. Spoke with Chuck last year and he said Dane was only 1 second slower on Q2's than the AMA D211's.

1BAD7 tried the Trackday Slicks last year. He too is a Fast I Group guy. He crashed on at NJMP.

I was running the Q2's last year on my GSXR 600 until mid summer. It got to where I could only get 1 full track day from the rear so after talking to Taylor and JRA. I switched to the US NTECs and the rear will usually last 3 days at Vir. D209/11's or NTEC Slicks are the way to go in my humble opinion.

R/
Mike
What Godfather said is true ... killed a Q2 in 1 day ... with my own eyes
I have also killed Q2's ... not in 1 day but 4 sessions .... Chuck can attest to the meltdown

N-TEC's slicks the only way to go .............. :D

moman

Rears in stock at most vendors now, I will see mine by Friday. Fronts backordered until 16th I've been told. Will ship to me as soon as stock is available. I'll continue to run the Q2 front until Q3 arrives.

Lonewrench

Performance Cycleworx will only special order the Q3,the U.S. N-Tec rubber is so good and so affordable it doesn't warrant handling so many different types of rubber. (the trailer is only so big) I hope I don't disappoint to many but we have historically that most of our S.E. guys and gals run the N-Tec rubber.

noupf

Lonewrench;275899 wrote: Performance Cycleworx will only special order the Q3,the U.S. N-Tec rubber is so good and so affordable it doesn't warrant handling so many different types of rubber. (the trailer is only so big) I hope I don't disappoint to many but we have historically that most of our S.E. guys and gals run the N-Tec rubber.
Whats the price of a 180/120 N-Tech set ?

edit:

nevermind, i see they come in 190's only. realistcly, whats the difference in the n-techs vs. the q2 / q3 ( aside from the visible diferences )? Is it wear, grip ect. For a mid pace "I" guy, i'm more than happy with my q2's.....especially for the prices. Can n-techs be run on a wet track since it has sipes, even though they are small and far between.

Right now on my 06 R6, I can get 3-5 days our of a rear Q2 ( depending on the tracks ridden ) and I change out the front once for every two rears. Will N-techs last longer and give me better grip? With so many tire choices and peoples preferences, its hard to keep up on whats really needed based on my skill level. I've yet to have a q2 slip or let go while riding the track.

05RC51

I got a set of Q3's mounted yesterday on my ZX7R, the first set that shop has mounted. Figured I give them a try on the ZX before I threw a set on my RC51 to replace the Power Ones. Any recommendations for pressures? I was thinking 34/36 for general use. Can't say much about them yet as they only have about 30miles on them. The jump from 190/50 to 190/55 is noticeable already.
Rob

devildogae

I'm running 180/55 rear, 120/70 front Q2's and after 1 trackday, I'd say I have 50% left. The grip was amazing and inspired confidence. What would be the benefit of going to a 190/55?

moman

I received both my Q3 in time to mount for this past weekend at NYST. Absolutely love them! Not sure if it was the tires or my new Sidi boots but my pace picked up:D
Convinced a friend of mine who always runs Pirelli to try a set on his Aprilia RSV4. He's couldn't stop talking about them. Says turn in is very easy now and he's getting a much better drive out of the corner.

VState60

moman;277199 wrote: I received both my Q3 in time to mount for this past weekend at NYST. Absolutely love them! Not sure if it was the tires or my new Sidi boots but my pace picked up:D
Convinced a friend of mine who always runs Pirelli to try a set on his Aprilia RSV4. He's couldn't stop talking about them. Says turn in is very easy now and he's getting a much better drive out of the corner.
I ran Michelin Power Pure's at my first TD, Q2's at my second, and on a far less powerful bike than the two of you are running I was spinning up the back like a madman by my third time at the track and still running about 1.40's at JGP. If you want to keep those nearly $20k bikes looking pretty I'd switch to race (DOT) rubber and some warmers ASAP.

If you're serious about getting faster on the track and staying safe I don't think you will get too far with street tires and no warmers. I'm sure there are many who will attest otherwise and say having grippy tires is a bandaid for poor technique or something to that affect but honestly the inspiration running Michelin DOT's gave me was caused what was probably the biggest jump in my riding. The first time I ran warmers and DOT's I jumped 8 seconds off my best time, and have consistently taken another 2 off each day out. With only 139HP to the rear wheel I imagine I'd of flung myself to the moon (if you're getting after it at all) on one of those two bikes. A great rider can absolutely circulate at a fast pace on street tires, but for those of us learning the craft and trying to push more everyday, it's just not a fantastic idea to me. If you're just out there circulating and running 30 seconds off the A-group pace, and only working on not being afraid at how fast others are blowing by you, by all means Q3 it up.

noupf

VState60;277251 wrote: I ran Michelin Power Pure's at my first TD, Q2's at my second, and on a far less powerful bike than the two of you are running I was spinning up the back like a madman by my third time at the track and still running about 1.40's at JGP. If you want to keep those nearly $20k bikes looking pretty I'd switch to race (DOT) rubber and some warmers ASAP.

If you're serious about getting faster on the track and staying safe I don't think you will get too far with street tires and no warmers. I'm sure there are many who will attest otherwise and say having grippy tires is a bandaid for poor technique or something to that affect but honestly the inspiration running Michelin DOT's gave me was caused what was probably the biggest jump in my riding. The first time I ran warmers and DOT's I jumped 8 seconds off my best time, and have consistently taken another 2 off each day out. With only 139HP to the rear wheel I imagine I'd of flung myself to the moon (if you're getting after it at all) on one of those two bikes. A great rider can absolutely circulate at a fast pace on street tires, but for those of us learning the craft and trying to push more everyday, it's just not a fantastic idea to me. If you're just out there circulating and running 30 seconds off the A-group pace, and only working on not being afraid at how fast others are blowing by you, by all means Q3 it up.

You are correct, there's a shit ton of people on here that will go completely against what you are saying. If you're on 1000, its about throttle control, not grippier tires. Most 1000's will spin up almost any tire if the throttle is rolled on too much. Q2's have gotten me and hundred of others into upper I and A without a problem. Myself and others in upper I are by no means getting blown away by others bc we are on Q2's.......in fact, some of us are blowing away those who are on the grippier race tires......its all about skill......and believe me, i'm still learning. With that said, if somebody is more comfortable on expensive race tires at a slower pace, by all means stick with what you gives you confidence on the track. Tire pressures also make a huge difference, easier to spin up a rear if the pressures are too high, so that's important to monitor too. I'm getting 4-5 days out a rear running about 29 psi cold and about twice as long out of a front running 30-31 cold.

My wallet, my bike and my skill level...........they like the Q2's ( soon to be Q3's).

z064life

noupf;275900 wrote: Whats the price of a 180/120 N-Tech set ?

edit:

nevermind, i see they come in 190's only. realistcly, whats the difference in the n-techs vs. the q2 / q3 ( aside from the visible diferences )? Is it wear, grip ect. For a mid pace "I" guy, i'm more than happy with my q2's.....especially for the prices. Can n-techs be run on a wet track since it has sipes, even though they are small and far between.

Right now on my 06 R6, I can get 3-5 days our of a rear Q2 ( depending on the tracks ridden ) and I change out the front once for every two rears. Will N-techs last longer and give me better grip? With so many tire choices and peoples preferences, its hard to keep up on whats really needed based on my skill level. I've yet to have a q2 slip or let go while riding the track.
My buddy runs the NTech DOTs on his 08 R6s (03-05) and he will easily get 6-8 days out of them. He is in A group.