Elite membership

I am on the fence about an Elite membership and how many track days I will be riding this year. I am currently registered with a standard membership so I can't compare the Elite track day prices to make the decision. I know there's snow on the ground and it's near single digits but I'm trying to work out my track day budget for the year and it all revolves around how many days I will be riding. I can then work out the consumables and transportation costs. Just trying to plan ahead for the year.

1up5down

Control Rider
Elite = I wait until 10pm the night before the trackday to sign up (as the weather was iffy), because I'm an Elitist I pay NO late or additional fee. I pay the lowest rate available regardless if I sign up at 8:59am the day of.

Elite = @7am I catch a flat or something happens on my way to the track. I log into my account via my PC or phone and cancel, because I'm an Elitist I get 100% credit and move on without any frustration or need to call the office to lie or beg to get some credit.

Elite = Pay a low rate, no need to purchase additional "vacation insurance" or read the "tea leaves" on the weather. Elite = I get my 100% credit no matter when or why I cancel.

This alone = Priceless in my book!

Call me an ELITIST any day!!!

Blueberry

Elite membership

Standard membership has its place. If you are only going to be able to ride 1-2 days this year based on finances you likely won't come out ahead with Elite in terms of $. It's a good discount but not enough.

Even when I did just 3-4 nesba days in a season Elite worked well for me since just canceling one day and rebooking another day basically paid for the membership in my eyes. If you never need to cancel the lower rates, no late fees, and general conveniences of the membership mentioned already still make it a great value.

03bueller

Control Rider
Here's what I say:

1 weekend - not worth it unless you have major qualms about rain, even if one whole day is a wash you won't get your moneys worth out of it
2 weekends - 50/50, lowers the price enough to where it begins to offset the cost, only reason to not get it is once again if you are only going to ride those 2 weekends and have no room to move your dates around.
3+ weekends - get it, basically offsets the cost or more, plus all the weather related things previous have posted, though I still sign up well in advance to make my intentions known.

One thing I will say, while with elite there is no late signup penalty, please don't wait until the last second as it can lead to potential cancellation of events, sign up at least a month in advance; elite allows you to late cancel if the weather looks bad, so do that instead and shuffle the time to one of your other days you want to do and haven't registered for yet :)

akosi

Last year was my first year doing track days and I ended up buying the Elite Membership towards then end. No matter when you buy it you have the membership for a full year from the point of purchase. The membership is worth it even if you go 2 or 3 times.

freeflydive

Same as above...I purchased my elite membership last year and it paid for itself after the first 3x track days. Make the subsequent track day fees much easier to live with...especially when my better half reconciles our bank account!

pefrey

freeflydive;298604 wrote: ...especially when my better half reconciles our bank account!
There's your mistake. :D

I pay for Elite for peace of mind that I can add or cancel at the last second. I'm a commitment phobe.

mike574

The elite membership is definetly worth it. Last year I bought one and on my first day of the year on track it rained. I cancled the first day and road the second. So on my first day the membership paid it self back. Go for it

Ruhe52

As many have mentioned if you are doing a few days totally worth it. Get it but don't cancel a rain day you learn so much riding in the rain.

Unbroken13

Ruhe speaks the truth about the rain... I was scared shitless my first time in the rain... Vir south is intimidating in the dry.. In the rain it's down right scary!!!!!!!! But it really taught me to keep the bike stood up and control the throttle... I would say that's one negative of elite... U watch the weather and miss a great learning opportunity... Lol

jbaugh

Ruhe52;298639 wrote: As many have mentioned if you are doing a few days totally worth it. Get it but don't cancel a rain day you learn so much riding in the rain.
I learned how much all of the pieces on my motorcycle cost :banghead:

I'll be getting the elite membership this year to learn as much as I can in the sun!!! :cool:

03bueller

Control Rider
Today's hypersport tires are almost as good in the rain as they are on dry pavement, most of riding in the rain is psychological.....though I will say riding in the rain will make certain riding errors glaringly apparent, errors that might be forgiven on dry pavement. But if you have the basics of throttle control and body position down(so you're not leaning too much) you should be just fine...

Quickone4u

I'm about to purchase my first Elite membership and would like to know what I'm getting with it beforehand since there seems to be some back and forth and changes going on at the moment. What will the pricing structure be like with Elite this year? Will all other benefits remain the same? Money in hand waiting for answers...

If you can pay for it I'd say go for it.

For me working shift work and having to unexpectedly cover overtime Elite makes sense. I work at a Power Station - another of those 24/7 operations. I can get a call the night before or the morning of a track day and be told "we need you see you at 7:00". So nice to be able to call and cancel w/o issue. There are many other reasons for needing to cancel.

I don't always schedule all of my later days because of this occuring. That way I can use early cancellation credits later that year and not have to keep money tied up in credits "on the book". It WOULD really be nice to have the charge put back on the credit card but credits are better than nothing.

I agree with an another remark in that if you are only doing one or two days save your money. If lots of days they you're already spending thousands so what's another $175 or so for some peace of mind?

Just another $.02

Reg

Ruhe52;298639 wrote: As many have mentioned if you are doing a few days totally worth it. Get it but don't cancel a rain day you learn so much riding in the rain.
I've learned just how far a motorcycle can slide. :D

But it is odd how I can ride in a downpour on the highway mixing it up with freightliners and other traffic at 80 mph and near slick tires and feel no fear. Three of us on VIR south in the rain on good tires and the sphincter really tightens. Go figure.

Reg

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
As an Active duty Marine, the Elite membership is the only way to go. With a whacked work schedule I cannot plan weeks in advance for a track day and who knows what will pop up once I do schedule a date. I had a trailer failure last yr at 6 am and never made it to the track...made a call by 9am and used my credit the following weekend.....no hassle...no problems. Well worth the extra $$