Ello from Lower Bucks! and. . . a question

mromoto

Hey guys!

Giant noob to track days, but I've been riding motocross for over ten years. My streetbike, 07' R6 has been mothballed for about 2 years. I always wanted to try this and finally I am!

I'm getting everything together I need so I can catch the august NJMP (not sure which day yet) and I have a question.

I have a alpinestar racing jacket, aero hump, zipper and all. . . If I buy the pants that are compatible with this jacket, will the 3/4 or more zipper (but not a full circumfrence zipper) be acceptable?

I really don't want to rent and I'm throwing out enough money as it is getting my bike 100%, to not have to buy a suit.

Oh well, I think that's it. Can't wait to get out there!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome to N2. A full circumference zipper is required. Not sure what you mean by 3/4? Full circumference does go all the way around, but doesn't fully meet in the front; there's a few inches or so. A zipper that just goes across the back isn't acceptable. Please also read the Riders Manual located under "manuals and forms" on this website. It'll answer most of your questions. The full zipper is for your safety.

If the zipper goes most of the way around, could you provide more details - maybe a picture?

Again, welcome. Don't hesitate to ask more questions and we'll see you out there in August!

Last edited:

mromoto

Thanks for the response. I've actually read it a couple times and that part was always confusing for me, as I thought my jacket was race ready for track days and wasn't lacking anything saftey wise.

But my zipper comes up to the inside of my hip bones, there is a 8 inch space keeping it from being "full circumfrence.

Edit: I'm at work right now getting ready to leave (Hahah friday!). I can take a picture showing the gap and see if it's acceptable.

Thanks a bunch!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Is it the Alpinestars GP jacket? They advertise that as a 360 zipper. It might be ok. It's those short 8" long zippers just going across the back that are a no-go. Yup , post up a pic when you can and we'll check it out!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Yeah a full circumference zipper is technically not full. There is going to be a 6-8inch gap at the front. As jJudy mentioned you cant use the short 8 inch rear zippers. It may keep your pants from falling down but it won't protect adequately if you need it.

mromoto

20140620_161652-1.jpg

Also, are these non-armored boots okay?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Looks to me like the zipper is full circumference, I assume the zipper on the panrs will match up. Can't see the pic of the boots. As long as they're motorcycle specific and over the ankle I think they're allowed. That being said, armored race boots protect better. Cheaper than a broken ankle!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Do not, under any circumstances, skimp on safety gear. You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash. Now that doesn't mean buy top of the line everything, but being a little more in debt is way cheaper and way less inconvenient than being permanently injured or worse.

Buy quality gear and it will last a long time.

Myers

Control Rider
I think how steve puts it is the best....NEVER skimp on safety gear..... we all make mistakes on the track... dont mistakenly go cheap on safety gear.

AND Welcome aboard!! Track riding will be something you will never forget!!! See ya there!

mromoto

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I'm actually putting in an order for armored boots and checking if a certain alpinestars back protector will fit my jacket.

Side note, A bunch of my parts came in this week. I have some projects to get to before the track day!

Race fairings (Optimal Racing), If I have a number entered on my N2 account, and it's not showing any errors? Is it mine? I'm planning on getting numbers for the fairings.

Mid pipe

PCV

Steel brake lines- Galfer

New tires (Q2's)

New sprockets, went up two teeth in the rear and a 525 chain

I think there's more, but i'm stoked!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Whatever number you choose is yours. We don't worry about duplicates. Forgot to ask, your jacket and pants we determined are considered full zip and therefore acceptable. They do have armor in the shoulders, elbows, forearms, hips and knees?

Motofun352

Control Rider
If you don't mind me asking...What size are you? I have a well used Kobe suit (pre-crashed but repaired and washed) that you can have for the price of shipping. It's a 48 and would work for 5'11" to 6'1" 190 to 215#. I'm 6'0" and 190 and it's a little loose on me.

mromoto

If you don't mind me asking...What size are you? I have a well used Kobe suit (pre-crashed but repaired and washed) that you can have for the price of shipping. It's a 48 and would work for 5'11" to 6'1" 190 to 215#. I'm 6'0" and 190 and it's a little loose on me.

That's just my size. 6'0/6'1 200 lb. However, I did just buy new pants and would rather another rider unable to afford a suit have that opportunity.

Thanks for the offer though. Really generous.